The Sexy Queen, Kwon Yuri of SNSD
Kwon Yuri, or simply Yuri, is best known as a member of the South Korean girl group called Girls’ Generation (SNSD) under SM Entertainment. She was signed to SM Entertainment in 2001 at age eleven and finally made her idol debut on August 2007. Alongside her in SNSD, there are Taeyeon, Yoona, Sunny, and Hyoyeon and formerly Tiffany, Seohyun, Sooyoung, and Jessica.
Aside from her group activities, she became a host of the MBC music program Show! Music Core with fellow member Tiffany in 2009, made her official acting debut in SBS’s drama series Fashion King in 2012 and appeared on various shows occasionally. Her best appearance on a show was when she joined as a G7 member in KBS’s Invincible Youth.
Universal Music Japan – Official Website
Personal Social Media
Instagram : @yulyulk
Weibo : yurikwon_GG
Full Profile of SNSD’s Yuri
Birth Name : Kwon Yu Ri (권유리)
Stage Name : Yuri (유리)
Nicknames : Black Pearl, Yul, BK Yuri, Kkab Yul, Prankster Yul
Position : Lead Dancer, Lead Rapper, Vocalist
Birthplace : Goyang, Gyeonggi, South Korea
Birthday : December 5, 1989
Zodiac Sign : Sagittarius
Blood Type : AB
Religion : Protestant
Nationality : South Korean
Height : 166 cm (5’5″)
Weight : 46 kg (101 lbs)
Eye Color : Dark Brown
Hair Color : Black
Body Type : Athletic
Shoe Size : 7 (US)
Dress Size : 2 (US)
Hobbies : Studying, swimming, exercising (yoga)
Specialities : Chinese, swimming, dancing, acting
Languages : Korean, Chinese, Japanese, English
Training : 5 Years 11 Months
Instruments : None
Siblings : Older brother named Kwon Hyuk Jun
Pet : A dog named Hani
Education : Neunggok High School; Chungang University, Major in Theatre and Film
Fans : Yurisistable
SNSD’s Yuri’s Height
Yuri’s body has been a hot topic among netizens multiple times when she’s at her best (succeeding with her diet). She has a great waist-pelvis line and a good pelvis. But, her waist is too long, making her legs look average.
On Yuri’s official profile, it is written that her height is 167 cm, making her the 4th tallest member after (former) Sooyoung, (former) Seohyun, and Yoona when the group still consisted of 9 members. Now, she is automatically the 2nd tallest after Yoona who is just 1 cm taller than her. Here’s the list of the height of every Girls’ Generation member (including former members):
Sunny: 155 cm (5′1″)
Taeyeon: 157 cm (5′1″)
Hyoyeon: 160 cm (5′2″)
Tiffany: 163 cm (5′3″)
Jessica: 163 cm (5′3″)
Yoona: 166 cm (5′4″)
Yuri: 167 cm (5′5″)
Seohyun: 168 cm (5′5)
Sooyoung: 170 cm (5′6″)
SNSD’s Yuri’s Boyfriend
On April 2015, SM Entertainment officially confirmed that Girls’ Generation’s Yuri and baseball player Oh Seung-hwan were dating. The news broke out after Dispatch released a series of photos capturing the new couple on dates together. Despite their busy schedules, they went on several normal dates like other couples usually do: watching movies, eating out, etc. According to their representatives, because of their busy schedules, the couple was communicating through texts and phone calls.
The story of their relationship broke out in April 2015, and they acknowledged that is was true soon after. Oh Seung-hwan and Yuri were continuing their love until they broke up around October 2015, according to a close acquaintance of Oh Seung-hwan. The major reason for their breakup is reported to be the lack of closeness because of their long-distance relationship.
They first met in November and December of 2014 when Oh Seung-hwan was staying in Korea, but, unfortunately, it seems to have ended in just six months. Oh Seung-hwan is a baseball player belonging to the Hanshin Tigers, and he was staying in Japan during the season. Yuri, on the other hand, was busy with new albums and personal schedules which made it very difficult for the two to date in person. So, they were not able to see each other often and naturally decided to part.
Weight Loss & Weight Gain for SNSD’s Yuri
Companies are known for managing everything about their idols from haircuts to weight. When you’re the sexy member of Korea’s number one girl group, your one essential chore is taking care of your appearance. Yuri’s toned and well-proportioned body has always been an attractive feature of her total physical make-up. Despite being known for having a curvy figure, she is actually the type who could gain weight and lose weight very quickly. This is widely known as the yo-yo effect.
Yuri admitted that in the past she thoroughly managed her body, but she doesn’t do it as much lately. Still, she tries to take care of herself consistently. She tries to maintain a balance with her eating habits, lifestyle, and sleep. She thinks that women have the right to become more beautiful as they age. In order to do that, efforts need to be made.
Yuri is quite famous for her hot body. She always had big thighs compared to the rest of her body, even when she was stick skinny. But, especially when she used to gain weight, her honey thighs would become visible. As the member with the most meat on her bones, it’s thankfully manifested in all the right places (her legs and arms).
As you can see in the pictures above, she consistently gains some weight in a healthy way every two years. During 2011, she was at her thinnest, but her pear shape was gone and her legs looked much less curvy. However, as the year passed, she gained all the weight back because of the yo-yo effect. And, in 2013, it seems like she was at her best with her slim waist, hourglass hips and long legs that make her body to die for.
SNSD’s Yuri’s Abs
K-pop idols are well known for having some of the best bodies in the music industry. Known for having the best body among other SNSD members, Yuri’s solid abs suddenly became a hot topic sometime in 2011 (around the “Mr. Taxi” era). It was revealed that her amazing body was only achieved after endless hours of hard work.
As you can see from the picture above, Yuri has a physique envied by many women around the world. Yuri’s sexiness is clearly showcased through her tanned skin, solid abs, and visible curves.
She followed a perfect diet followed by aerobic exercises. The diet revealed by her trainer consisted of seasonal vegetables, brown rice, broccoli, and grilled chicken breast. He also revealed the exercise to get those abs is around 600 sit-ups per day.
Drama and Movie Filmography of SNSD’s Yuri
Yuri officially debuted as an actress in the drama Fashion King alongside Yoo Ah In. Although it was her first time acting in a drama, her acting skills caught the attention of many in the industry. Known as the sexy queen, she debuted with her full name Kwon Yuri and dove right into the acting industry, showing her endless potential.
In her latest drama, Defendant, Yuri acted alongside veteran actors Ji Sung and Uhm Ki Joon, playing a headstrong public defendant who lives life by the books. The drama was off to a successful start with its debut episode boasting a 14.5% viewership rating nationally according to Nielsen Korea. Yuri wanted to act and prepared for 10 years to do so. Though she started relatively late, she has made a remarkable acting development thanks to her continuous efforts.
Drama Series :
|2007–2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||Kwon Yu-ri||Supporting role|
|2012||Fashion King||SBS||Choi An-na||Lead role|
|2015||Kill Me, Heal Me||MBC||Ahn Yo-na||Cameo EP. 20|
|2016||Neighborhood Hero||OCN||Bae Jung-yeon||Lead role|
|Gogh, The Starry Night||Sohu||Go-ho|
|2017||Innocent Defendant||SBS||Seo Eun-hye|
|2018||Sound of Your Heart – Reboot||KBS2||Aebong|
|2007||Attack on the Pin-Up Boys||Ballerina||Cameo|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2013||No Breathing||Jung-eun||Lead role|
|2015||SMTown: The Stage||Herself||Documentary film of SM Town|
Facts About SMSD’s Yuri
- She was cast during 2001 SM 1st Annual Youth Best Contest (Best Dancer, 2nd Place).
- She also auditioned to SM by making dinosaur noises.
- Among her nicknames are “Black Pearl” and “Cola”, both referring to her unique personality and her tanned skin.
- Her other nicknames from Invincible Youth were Class-President Yul and Yoochi-ri Village’s Daughter-in-Law.
- Her nickname BK Yuri was given to her by baseball players after they saw her pitch sidearm in 2007 at a Doosan Bears game. The initial “BK” comes from a famous baseball pitcher named Kim Byung Hyun.
- Though Yuri is one of the lead dancers, she said that she’s the slowest to learn new moves.
- Hyoyeon used to be angry at Yuri and treated her like an enemy because she was jealous of how many people thought Yuri was the best dancer in SNSD.
- Sunny and Yuri are the ones who get the choreography wrong most of the time.
- Yuri is known for having a husky voice among the SNSD members.
- She is SNSD’s biggest prankster. Yuri once tied the other 8 members’ shoelaces together and ran away.
- Yuri once scared the girls with her fake rat. She put it in their garbage can and covered it while leaving the tail exposed.
- Yuri is adventurous.
- Yuri is a really optimistic person and a really competitive person, too.
- Yuri’s attitude changes when she sees or is with a handsome guy.
- Yuri is the organization queen. Everyone knows it.
- When Yuri is focused on something, she doesn’t pay attention to other things (Win Win Ep. 11).
- Yuri cries often when talking about other members.
- Yuri forgets the lyrics very frequently.
- Yuri is also a bug catcher.
- Yuri was a tomboy since she grew up playing with her oppa and his friends.
- She thinks her charming point is her eyebrows.
- Her diary, perfume, and a book are the items she must have when she leaves the house.
- Her beauty must-have is to drink a lot of water.
- Yuri goes to the same school as Big Bang’s Seungri.
- Yuri and Sooyoung were schoolmates.
- Yuri has an ahjussi fan who used to manage and deliver them Chinese food. He always came with free dishes for the girls because he liked Yuri very much (Sweet Night EP 04 – SNSD [01.31.10]).
- Yuri is one of the shikshins in SNSD (big eater).
- Yuri can play the violin, and she knows ballet.
- Yuri is bad at badminton.
- She can’t do math well.
- Yuri can lick her own nose.
- Yuri is not afraid of ghosts.
- Yuri can make imitate Oh Duri.
- Yuri can’t cook. But, she holds cooking contests with Taeyeon sometimes. And, as expected, Taeyeon is always the winner.
- Her favorite movie: Mother
- Yuri collects Mickey Mouse items. She also likes anime/manga Crayon Shin-chan.
- Yuri likes to collect candles, and the most recent one she bought looks like chocolate and even smells like chocolate.
- Yuri like kissing stuff. Hyoyeon revealed that in Hello Baby.
- Yuri used to own a blog (tossi) and had to post a baby picture to prove it was really her. You can read trans at ssf.
- Yuri puts so much lotion on that when she sleeps, you can see that the pillow is very creamy and wet.
- Yuri takes care of her health a lot and knows many healthy things. She’s almost known as the 2nd health member.
- Yuri used to be very skinny before being cast in Unstoppable Marriage, but after appearing in the sitcom with Sooyoung, her weight increased by 5kg! Interestingly, Sooyoung didn’t gain any weight at all over the same time period.
- Yuri’s laughter was so loud that she woke a foreigner from his sleep.
- Yuri sleeps with her tongue out.
- Sunny once said that Yuri’s sleeptalks are the most extreme and toughest she’s ever seen.
- Yuri sleepwalking consists of getting up, turning on the light, checking her cellphone, and then turning off the light (PKL’s WO – “Dangerous Invitation”).
- She talks to herself. Like, a lot. She both encourages and scolds herself.
- She has fun doing things that most people would find downright embarrassing like showing off body hair.
- Yuri has a mole right above her bellybutton.
- Yuri would prefer to go to the future instead of the past because she said that the future would be more challenging than the past.
- Yuri is scared of elephants. When SNSD went to Thailand to promote, she was the only one who didn’t ride on the elephant.
- Yuri’s ideal type: “I wish he is really affectionate. A guy that shows his warmth even when you’re just looking at him. I can’t say that he’s a good guy if he’s fussy or sharp.”
- Yuri said that she was a huge fan of G.O.D in the past and held a blue balloon. She also said that Kim Tae Woo was her favourite G.O.D member. But, she said he wasn’t her ideal type in Invincible Youth.
- On KJE Chocolate, Yuri chose Justin Timberlake as her ideal guy and said that if they got married, they would dance while eating every morning and dance while walking down the street and sing together.
- Yuri’s dream man is Song Seung Heon, a super famous Hallyu star and someone she looks up to since most of her friends (who are girls) seem to want their boyfriends to be like him or want someone like him. He is also SNSD’s overall ideal man they chose from their episode of Sweet Night (Ideal World Cup segment aired on Feb 7th, 2010).
- Her favorite quote is, “Life is something to be enjoyed, not something you just tolerate”.
SNSD’s Yuri’s Short Hair
Yuri is one of the members who has changed her hair the least. She usually sticks with the long brown/black hair every comeback. But, recently, in January 2018, Yuri posted a photo with a new short bob hairstyle. She had transformed herself into Aebongie (a character from the Naver webtoon The Sound of Your Heart (마음의 소리)).
Many netizens said that she looks awkward because it makes her face bigger. They also said things like her previous hairstyle was better. But, it was revealed that she had to cut it for her comedy-drama where her role is a silly girl. It’s not like she has options, right?
Yuri’s Solo Comeback
After succeeding in modelling for the hair care brand Pantene and releasing a song titled “Secret” for SM Station’s 3rd collaboration with former member Seohyun, Yuri finally made her debut as a solo singer with the release of “Always Find You” under Station2. In previous years, Yuri had released a few songs for soundtracks including “Kkok” in 2008 with SNSD’s Sooyoung for Working Mom OST and “Blind Star” and “Twinkle Twinkle” in 2013 for No Breathing OST.
In her recent solo, she is collaborating with DJ/producer Raiden. And, as expected, the song does not disappoint fans with its chill beats, dreamy music video, and Yuri’s soft voice. The song delivers an exceptional muse in her first solo single which gives off an electro-pop vibe with lyrics describing her devotion to being there for her love. Check out her latest solo music video below!