Yoo Ah-in, The Korean Actor
Gaining popularity early on with the teenage drama Sharp, the young Yoo Ah-in felt lost and thought that the fame was not his in the first place since he did not really know much about acting. He then took years of hiatus before coming back as an actor with the indie film Boys of Tomorrow. His hard work instantly paid off as he won the Best New Actor award at the Busan Film Critics Awards in 2006. Slowly but surely, Yoo Ah-in’s acting skills were approved by the public and his popularity skyrocketed with his performance in the fusion period drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal and the coming-of-age film Punch. In the present time, Yoo Ah-in consistently maintaining his status as a top actor completing project after project.
In this article, Channel-Korea will provide you all the information about Yoo Ah-in, starting from his personal profile and fun facts, a list of his dramas, films, music videos, and television shows, his family, her plastic surgery, his friendship with Song Hye-kyo, his gay rumor, his cafe, his abs, his cancer and military news, his ability to play the piano, his latest news, his hairstyle and fashion style, and his Instagram feed. So, keep reading!
Yoo Ah-in’s Full Profile
Birth Name: Uhm Hong Sik
Stage Name: Yoo Ah In
Nickname: People’s rebel, Sexy brain, the Nation’s Favorite Younger Boyfriend
Place and Date of Birth: Daegu, 6 October 1986
Occupation: Actor, creative director gallerist
Nationality: South Korean
Blood Type: A
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Astrology: Rooster
Siblings: 2 (older sisters)
Education: Gyeongbuk Arts High School, with a major in Fine Arts, and Konkuk University and Dongguk University, with a major in the Department of Art
Talent Agency: Star-K Entertainment (2005 – 2013), United Artist Agency (2014 – present)
Yoo Ah-in’s Age, Height, and Weight
As presented in his brief personal profile earlier, Yoo Ah-in was born in 1986. According to the Korean Age System, in 2018 Yoo Ah-in’s age is 33 years old, while according to the International Age System, Yoo Ah-in is 32 years old. Besides Yoo Ah-in, there are other Korean celebrities who were born in 1986 as well, such as Yoon Si-yoon, Ryu Jun-yeol, Min Hyo-rin, Kim Hyun-joong, Jung Yun-ho, Kim Jae-joong, Park Yoo-chun, Park Min-young, Son Eun-seo, and Lee Tae-im. Yoo Ah-in is considered to be a tall and fit man even though his height is 179 cm, whereas his weight is 71 kg.
Fun Facts About Yoo Ah-in
- Yoo Ah-in chose his stage name from the German ‘Ah In’ which means ‘Ein’ or ‘One’. Even so, his fans and friends prefer calling him by his original name (Hong-sik) instead of his stage name.
- Yoo Ah-in is considered as one of the most successful child actors along with Jang Geun-suk and Go Ara.
- Yoo Ah-in was discovered by a casting agent on the street in front of his school when he was in his first year of junior high. He was scouted to be an aspiring idol (an idol trainee) and trained to sing.
- Yoo Ah-in decided to become a celebrity by leaving his arts high school in the middle of 10th grade (at the age of 15) and moved to Seoul by himself. He even used to live in a poor studio-type apartment. Despite his drop-out state, Yoo Ah-in managed to graduate high school and entered college with GED test.
- Yoo Ah-in has been writing a diary and poems from an early age, and he occasionally posted short essays on his personal blog since his début days. His writings also have been published in some magazines such as Arena Homme, Bazaar, Elle, Dazed & Confused, 10Asia, Z-Zin, and many more.
- When he started acting in his first drama Sharp, Yoo Ah-in had difficulties because of his dialect and his intonation and pronunciation. Fortunately, he was able to fix it after he practiced a lot. In the present day, he switches his dialect back and forth between Daegu and Seoul effortlessly. When he speaks with his family or Daegu friends, he switches to Daegu accent.
- Yoo Ah-in turned down the casting offer to play one of the four main characters in the drama Boys Over Flowers.
- Yoo Ah-in is recognized as one of the most outspoken and articulate actors in Korea who talks about politics and social issues openly on his Twitter. In 2012 the independent party DUP Representative Moon Jae-in and ex-candidate Ahn Cheol-soo replied to Yoo Ah-in’s political tweets, saying that they listened to what he said and took note of it.
- Yoo Ah-in said that the body part which he is most confident about is a slope between his waist and butt, otherwise known as S line.
- Yoo Ah-in cannot live without three food items, namely spicy Korean rice cake, chicken feet, and milk. He can also cook all the Korean dishes well, such as braised ribs, chicken soup, and other dishes. He has said that he likes to use good sugar and organic ingredients when he cooks. His cooking ability was proven during the cooking battle in Running Man, back in September 2013.
- Yoo Ah-in spends most of his money on alcohol, cigarettes, groceries and electronic devices. He does not really use cash for things and usually uses a debit card or check card. At one time, he could not pay the taxi fare because of his cashless habit, which he apologized for afterward on Twitter.
- Yoo Ah-in goes to nightclubs occasionally to release stress, as well as karaoke, dancing and drinking, and watching concerts. The other activity that he does when he is stressed is smoking.
- When it comes to fashion, Yoo Ah-in has been dubbed as a trendsetter and a men’s fashion bible of sorts in Korea. He never hires a fashion coordinator and dresses by himself even for big events. Yoo Ah-in also did the design with Nohant in 2014 for “Love City” and “New Kidz” sub-brands.
- Yoo Ah-in’s favorite personal items are his snapback, Nohant “NE?YORK” tee, scented candle, wine, and perfume.
- Yoo Ah-in admires stage actress and former Fin.K.L. member Ock Joo-hyun and often goes to her theatrical performance. He also had a crush on actress Jung Yu-mi in his 20s. In the present time, they have become good friends. He is also close to actress Park Min-young as he taught her about Twitter.
- Yoo Ah-in loves chocolate ice cream, especially Haagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche flavor and the Chup-a-Chup lollipop. He even has a cabinet filled with sweets in his house.
- Yoo Ah-in listens to indie music, as well as songs of Tablo, Epik High, and Akdong Musician. He also likes watching Jimmy Kimmel Live – Celebrity Read Mean Tweets.
- Yoo Ah-in does not usually throw his old stuff away because he likes to wear or use them until they are totally worn-out.
- Yoo Ah-in ordered 1,000 lighters engraved with the words “From —‘s Best Friend, Prince Uhm Hong Shik.” for his friend’s birthday present.
- Yoo Ah-in confessed that he has never dated another celebrity under the age of 19. He also said that he has been in love three times, as well as confirming that all his ex-girlfriends were older than him and that he had been asked out by a woman in her 30s when he was 20 years old.
- Yoo Ah-in always has more interest in historical dramas than regular dramas.