TWICE, One in a Million!
TWICE (트와이스) is a South Korean girl-group formed by JYP Entertainment in 2015. The group was formed through a survival show created by JYP Entertainment and Mnet, called “SIXTEEN”. TWICE has nine members: Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu. The group debuted on October 20, 2015, with the extended play (EP) The Story Begins. The group also officially debuted in Japan on June 28, 2017, under Warner Music Japan, with the release of their first compilation album titled #Twice. It was followed by their first original Japanese maxi single, titled “One More Time” in October.
With so much achievement happening, it’s easy to forget how TWICE got started. Let’s take a look back to TWICE’s debut era!
TWICE’s Debut Plan
In 2013, JYP Entertainment announced that they would debut a new girl-group in the first half of 2014. It would be the first female group to come out of the company since the debut of Miss A in 2010. In 2014, JYP trainees Cecilia and Lena were confirmed to be in the new group. Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Jihyo (or Jisoo), and Minyoung were also rumored to be in the group. Cecilia decided to leave and Sana replaced her, thus starting 6mix, until Lena left the company, cancelling their debut.
In 2015, Park Jin Young announced that the new JYP girl-group would now be formed by way of the survival reality show SIXTEEN, where sixteen JYP trainees would compete to debut in the seven-member girl group TWICE. The show started on May 5 and ended with Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Dahyun, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, and Chaeyoung. During the finale, Park announced that he would add two more members into the group, bringing the total group membership to nine. By audience vote, Tzuyu was added, and by Park’s choice, Momo was added, thus starting the beginning of TWICE.
On October 7, 2015, JYP launched the group’s official website and announced on social media that the group would debut with the mini-album The Story Begins with “Like OOH-AHH” as the title track. On October 20, the album and the song’s music video were released online through the Naver “V LIVE” App. The group held their debut showcase the same day, where they performed “Like OOH-AHH” along with the dance tracks “Must Be Crazy” and “Do It Again”. The title track’s music video hit 50 million views within five months of their debut and became the most-viewed debut music video for any K-pop group, later TWICE became one of the first K-pop groups to have their debut music video pass 100 million views.
TWICE’s Debut Schedule
Here’s the date list for the Twice debut plan:
- October 8, 2015 – JYP Entertainment shared a photo containing the teaser schedule for TWICE’s debut through the agency’s official Twitter, informing fans about what would be unveiled over the next 12 days.
- October 9, 2015 – JYP posted a new group photo and revealed the upcoming girl-group, TWICE.
- October 12, 2015 – JYP releases teaser videos for TWICE Members Nayeon, Momo, and Mina.
- October 13, 2015 – JYP releases teaser videos for TWICE Members Sana, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu.
- Octobee 14, 2015 – JYP releases teaser videos for TWICE Members Jeongyeon, Jihyo, and Dahyun.
- October 15, 2015 – TWICE releases “Like Ooh-Ahh” Instrument Video
- October 16, 2015 – TWICE releases MV teaser for “Like Ooh-Ahh”
- October 17, 2015 – Album Instrumental Preview
- October 19, 2015 – Debut Countdown on VLive
- October 20, 2015 – Music & M/V Release and Debut Showcase
TWICE Teaser Compilation
New groups usually drop some teasers in their social media. Let’s take a look at this TWICE teaser compilation!
The 1st teaser was a poster with the debut date.
The poster above explains that they’re going to post a teaser poster from October 9 until October 17, 2015, and continue with the countdown in the V LIVE app and the showcase on October 20, 2015.
The track list was released on 10/10.