A South Korean rock band formed by JYP Entertainment, at first, they were going to debut under the name “5LIVE”, with Jae, Sung-jin, Young K, Jun-hyeok, and Won-pil. In 2014, they promoted under “5LIVE” by appearing on the fourth episode of Mnet’s survival show “WIN: Who is Next?“, and released the song titled “Lovely Girl” for the Bel Ami OST. In the middle of 2015, drummer Do-woon was added into the group and the group changed its name to “DAY6”. They finally made their official debut on September 7, 2015, by releasing their first Extended Play, “The Day”, with the title track “Congratulations”. However, on February 27, 2016, Jun-hyeok left the band due to personal reasons, and terminated his contract with JYP. DAY6 has remained a five-member band ever since.
Members: Jae (Lead guitarist and lead vocalist, rapper), Sung-jin (Leader, main vocalist, rhythm guitarist), Young K (Bassist, lead vocalist, rapper), Won-pil (Synthesizer, keyboardist, lead vocalist), Do-woon (Drummer)
Ex-member: Jun-hyeok (Keyboardist, vocalist)
Years Active: 2015 – present
Label: JYP Entertainment
DAY6 not only has talented vocalists and expert instrumentalists, but they also produce amazing songs for themselves and other artists, like UP10TION. Young K, Sung-jin, and Won-pil are the composers behind UP10TION’s 5th song, “Stuck on You (빠져가지고)”, from their fifth Extended Play, “BURST”.
The producers behind DAY6 are Young K, Jae, Sung-jin, and Won-pil. They are active in the creative process, composing their songs with the help of professional producers. Despite that, the DAY6’s main producer is Young K. They write lyrics as well as compose their own songs.
The Day is the group’s debut Extended Play, and was released on September 7, 2015. It consists of six songs, and all the lyrics were written by members of DAY6. It is the only EP that featured ex-member Jun-hyeok, before he departed.
This is DAY6’s second Extended Play, and was released on March 30, 2016. It consists of six songs, the lyrics for the first song from their tracklist, “First Time”, were written by DAY6. The second song, “Blood”, was written by Jae and Young K. Both the title track, “Letting Go”, and the fourth song from their tracklist, “Sing Me”, were written by Young K and Won-pil, the fifth song, “Wish”, was written by Sung-jin, Young K, and Won-pil, and the final song from their tracklist, “Hunt”, was written by Young K and a professional producer, Frants.
Shoot Me: Youth Part 1
Shoot Me: Youth Part 1 is the group’s third EP, and was released on June 26, 2016. It consists of six songs, all of which have lyrics which were written by Young K, except for the fifth song from their tracklist, “Talking To”, which was written by Jae and Young K.
Remember Us: Youth Part 2
This is the group’s fourth EP, and was released on December 10, 2018. It consists of seven songs, all of which were written by Young K, except the third song from their tracklist, “Headache”, which was written jointly by Jae and Young K, and the sixth song, “Marathon”, which Young K wrote with a professional producer, mr.cho.
The Book of Us: Gravity
This is their fifth Extended Play, and was released on July 15, 2019. It consists of six songs, all of which were composed by Young K, except the fifth song from their tracklist, “Cover”, which was written jointly by Young K and Sung-jin.
DAY6 had an ambitious project in 2017, titled “Every DAY6”. At the start of 2017, the group planned to release a new single, music video, and B-Side every month, except for May, June, August, and October. They also committed to hold a concert before the release of each monthly song for the entire year of 2017. Every DAY6 project was made possible by the members’ passion for music and diligence, as reported by Allkpop.
1. DAY6 released their first monthly single, titled “I Wait”, and the B-side, “Goodbye Winter”, on January 6, 2017.
2. DAY6 released their second monthly single, “You Were Beautiful”, and the B-side track, “My Day”, on February 6, 2017.
3. DAY6 released their third monthly single, titled “How Can I Say”, and the B-side track, “I Would”, on March 6, 2017, and they promoted it through M! Countdown on March 9, 2017.
4. DAY6 released their fourth monthly single, titled “I’m Serious”, and the B-side track, “Say Wow”, on April 6, 2017, and they promoted it through M! Countdown on the same day.
5. DAY6 released their fifth monthly single, “Dance Dance”, and the B-side track, “Man in a Movie”, on May 8, 2017.
6. DAY6 released their first full album, titled “Sunrise” with the total 14 songs. It consists of their releases from January through May. the rebooted version of “Letting Go”, the final version of “Congratulations”, and two new songs, “I Smile” and “Lean on Me”.
7. DAY6 released their seventh monthly single, titled “Hi Hello”, and the B-side track, “Be Lazy”, on July 6, 2017.
8. DAY6 released their eighth monthly single, titled “What Can I Do”, and the B-side track, “Whatever!”, on August 7, 2017.
9. DAY6 released their ninth monthly single, “I Loved You”, and the B-side track, “I’ll Remember”, on September 6, 2017.
10. DAY6 would normally have released their tenth monthly single on October 7, 2017, but instead they released their tenth monthly single, titled “When You Love Someone”, and the B-side track, “I Need Somebody”, on September 29, 2017.
11. DAY6 held their North American meet and greet tour, entitled “DAY6 Live & Meet in North America 2017”. Their tour started in Los Angeles on October 20, 2017, moving on to Austin on October 22, 2017, New York on October 24, 2017, Detroit on October 27, 2017, and ending in Toronto on October 29, 2017.
12. DAY6 released their eleventh monthly single, “All Alone”, and the B-side track, “Pouring”, on November 6, 2017.
13. DAY6 completed the Every DAY6 project by releasing the second full album, “Moonrise”, with three new songs, “I Like You”, “Better Better”, and “I’ll Try”.
On December 7, 2017, when DAY6 was interviewed by JoyNews24, Young K and Sung-jin said, “Our job is to create music everyone could relate to. We are currently pondering about that and we have not figured out the solution just yet. First and foremost, it is important for us to be satisfied with our work, instead of focusing on the music chart results,” as translated by Allkpop.
On June 4, 2019, DAY6 was interviewed by online music magazine IZM, to talk about their production process, music styles, music preferences, and favorite genres. When asked about how they make their music, Sung-jin answered, “We also make tracks individually and as units. The extent to which each member participates in making the song depends on the point we want to emphasize. We try to incorporate each member’s musical tastes into our music. Because we all like different genres, our songs turn out to be a mixture of various styles, so we focus on trimming out those different styles,” as reported by Soompi.
About their favorite genres, Sung-jin enjoys modern rock and British pop. Won-pil has similar taste to Sung-jin’s, and prefers songs that do not become part of a fad. Jae loves folk music. Do-woon enjoys a variety of music from trap and electronic to Quinn XCII. Young K listened to hip-hop, punk rock, and Britpop when he was a little, but lately he said that he enjoys bright music that’s comfortable to listen to and puts you in a good mood, as reported by Soompi.