The Sexy Concept Slayer Hyomin
Park Sun Young, a.k.a Hyomin, made her debut in 2009 as a member of the girl group T-ARA, which has released numerous hits. Apart from her group’s activities, Hyomin has also starred in various television dramas, worked as a solo singer, and was a part of the sub-unit T-ARA N4 until she and the other remaining members finally departed from MBK Entertainment on December 31, 2017. But, it was reported that the members of T-ARA left without disbanding.
Before debuting with T-ARA, Hyomin was a famous internet ulzzang and a trainee under JYP Entertainment. She is also known as an all-rounder entertainer who enjoys a variety of activities related to art such as acting, drawing, dancing, singing, etc. Furthermore, she was once a student at SKK University’s Art and Theatre Department, one of the best universities in South Korea!
Full Profile of Hyomin
Birth Name: Park Sun-young (박선영)
Stage Name: Hyomin (효민)
Nicknames: Horromi, Hyoderella, Folding Screen (byung-poong)
Nationality: South Korean
Birth Place: Busan, South Korea
Birth Date: May 30, 1989
Zodiac Sign: Gemini (Chinese: Snake)
Occupation: Singer and Actress
Former Position: Main Rapper, Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Former 3rd Leader
Former Unit: T-ARA N4
Height: 167 cm (5’6″)
Weight: 46 kg
Blood Type: O
Specialties: Musicals, sports, and acting
Languages: Korean, Chinese, and Japanese
Hobbies: Photography, cooking, drawing, and styling
Siblings: One sister
Education: Bishan Elementary School, Seoul Shinji Elementary School, Geokok Junior High School, Neokil Junior High School, Shinmok High School, Sungkyunkwan University – Acting Arts (leave of absence)
Hyomin as a Member of T-ARA
During her time being a part of T-ARA, she was cast in a variety of fields in entertainment such as variety shows, musical productions, and even dramas as a supporting character. Her famous appearance back in the day was being a fixed cast member of KBS’ variety show Invincible Youth from October 23, 2009, to December 24, 2010. She was one of the seven original members and one of the four that remained after the show experienced member changes.
In 2011, the agency announced that Hyomin would take over leadership as T-ARA’s third leader (switching from Boram) for their comeback album John Travolta Wannabe and Japanese promotions. Based on the agency statement, in order to instill a sense of responsibility in each of the members, they decided to change the leader for each new album release. The agency also stated that Hyomin was a good choice because she had the longest preparation period before debuting with T-ARA. She later passed on her leadership to fellow member Park So Yeon in early 2012.
In April 2013, Hyomin, along with Eunjung, Jiyeon, and former member Areum, formed a subgroup called T-ARA N4 (which stands for “T-ARA Brand New 4”). They released their first mini-album titled Jeon Won Diary, which was inspired by the 1980’s South Korean drama of the same name. The group became popular as they were signed to Popular ENT for their American releases. They also met with many American artists and producers. Furthering her interest in fashion, Hyomin involved herself in making sure the members of T-ARA N4 looked the part. Hyomin designed her own stage costume, which flaunted a retro pattern and short shorts that were popular during the period.
After experiencing a dip in popularity in South Korea, T-ARA went through hard times coping with netizen’s hate because of their bullying controversies. In 2014, Hyomin and other members decided to begin focusing on promotional activities in China and became one of the most popular K-pop girl groups there. They even performed for the sultan coronation ceremony in Malaysia as the main performing artists in 2015. All these overseas activities led to the accusations of ‘T-ARA are focusing on overseas activities due to their difficulties in domestic activities’.
In 2017, the girls faced another obstacle regarding Soyeon and Boram’s expiring contracts. They got involved in a conflict and left with Hyomin, Eunjung, Qri, and Jiyeon as the final members of T-ARA. They promoted for awhile and ended their contract with the agency who had managed them for 10 years in December 2017.
Hyomin’s Facts as a Member of T-ARA
- Along with Eun Jung , she was a member of the project group Wonder Woman, a project group of T-ARA, Davichi, and SEEYA.
- Hyomin is known as a multi-talented member since she has a great voice, can rap really great, and is a great dancer.
- Hyomin is known as the mood-maker of T-ARA but also the mood-maker of everyone around her. She’s famous for being really funny and always fooling around to make people smile.
- Hyomin is known as someone who cries really easily. She’s the member who cries the most and shows her emotions the most.
- Hyomin is the closest to Jiyeon and Eunjung.
- Hyomin is considered one of the sexiest idols. She represents sexiness in T-ARA.
- Hyomin and Soyeon are the pranksters of T-ARA.
- Hyomin is the member with the most clothes.
- Hyomin is the most chosen member when it comes to having solo photoshoots for magazines’ covers.
- Hyomin thinks that the prettiest members of T-ARA are Qri and Jiyeon.
- Hyomin used to share a room with Jiyeon ever since they were trainees until 2012 when the members all moved out of the dorms to go live in their own apartment or go back home.
- Hyomin is known as being overprotective towards Jiyeon. Hyomin’s answer to this was that she met Jiyeon when Jiyeon was still a kid, so she grew up with her since Jiyeon was young when she started as a trainee in CCM. So, she always sees her as a baby and as someone to protect, even though she says Jiyeon doesn’t need any protection as she’s the mentally strongest member.
- Hyomin is known as a dorky diva and fashionista. Hyomin designed and made the clothes for her and her members for the promotion of their song “Roly Poly”.
- Hyomin prefers solo artists over idols even though she herself is an idol.
Hyomin’s Solo Career
After Jiyeon’s “Never Ever” solo debut, Hyomin took turns by releasing her single “Nice Body” on June 30, 2014. The concept revolves around fitness and her renown body because it has so many shots of Hyomin’s curves and is rated 19+. There were negative reactions when the music video released because of its distasteful plot line and its objectifying costume. It also sounds misogynistic. That’s why some people, basically girls, were mad about its content about fitting unrealistic beauty standards. She officially debuted on stage on M!Countdown on July 3, then released another single titled “Fake It” on July 20.
On March 2016, Hyomin made a comeback with her second extended play Sketch with double lead single “Sketch” and “Gold”. Of course, she went with the sexy concept again, but this time, the song sounds more seductive than the previous one. The music video starred actor Nam Goong Min, where the pair is seen in bed together. And, there are two versions of the music video, one which is rated 19+ and another that might be considered ‘safe’. During this era, she was attacked by many netizens and anti-fans because of her ‘sex-concept’ and revealing (even nude) shots.
Hyomin’s Art Skills
Hyomin is known by her fans to possess unique talents in art since she was young. Under the influence of having both of her parents majored in art, she has grown interested in art. She also said she has dreamt of enrolling in an art high school. However, she was torn after having realized she lacked the art skills to enroll in an art high school. That’s why she ended up enrolling in a regular high school as she was going to the acting academy and studying acting.
On May 11th, during her horror film shooting in 2011 (Gisaeng Ryung), Hyomin posted a photo in a casual outfit wearing giant glasses and her hair pulled together in a ponytail. She also shared her talented drawing skills with her fans and tweeted, “Finished with script practice. I was bored and doodling and finished the one and only poster for ‘Gisaeng Ryung’ because I was so absorbed. Maybe it’s because I got sensitive these days, but I keep hearing weird noises, boo hoo.”
The drawing portrays a child trapped in a clay pot, giving off a scary and eerie feeling. It is surprisingly realistic, proving that her drawing skills exceed far beyond an average person’s. And, as you can see in the picture above, she’s not only talented at drawing but also quite good with making tissue art.
Hyomin’s Art-Related Facts
- Hyomin said that when she retires, she’s hoping to become a stylist or a photographer.
- She is a camera collector. She has a variety of compacts, including 35mm, DSLR, mirrorless, polaroid, and medium formats. Her main models are E-P1 and EOS 400D.
- She likes playing with camera angles and taking pictures of other people.
Hyomin’s Plastic Surgery Transformation
Unlike her fellow group members, Hyomin has been upfront about getting plastic surgery. Her face is drastically different from what it used to be when she was younger.
From the pictures below, we can see the plastic surgery here is a nose job. Her once ‘piggy’ looking nose, especially the tip, has been smoothed out and looks so much more refined now. Just like every other nose job, her bridge has also been refined and the height has been increased to make her nose look slimmer.
There is also speculation that Hyomin might have also gotten chin implants judging by these before and after pictures where the length of her chin is slightly slimmer and longer in the after picture. The difference is subtle, but it’s definitely there.
Besides the aforementioned T-ARA plastic surgery, Hyomin has also got the standard double eyelid procedure done. Her previous monolid eyes have transformed into double eyelids, making her eyes look bigger and fresher. It’s no surprise then that Hyomin looks like a completely different person than what she was before.
Hyomin’s Appearances Facts
- She got the award of the most beautiful and sexiest legs of Korea.
- She used to be obsessed with outer beauty-care, always concealing her flaws or maximizing her merits.
- Hyomin had plastic surgeries. When Hyomin was young, she hated her physical appearance as she wasn’t that skinny, and she hated her face. Hyomin used to be bullied in middle school and elementary school because of her physical appearance, so she decided to change and went through plastic surgeries followed by an intense diet.
- When she was a high school senior, she went on binges and gained 8 kg. Then, she made up her mind and changed her diet to cherry tomatoes and cucumbers for dinner. She also jumped rope 2,000 times every night. Her diet history started since then.
- She has a tattoo on her wrist, forearm, and waist. Her tattoos always catch the eyes of her fans because they really suit her fair complexion.
- She started to use a pure vitamin C serum to make her skin tight and radiant.