Shindong’s Weight and Diet Plan
Shindong has been gaining attention and criticism because of his extreme weight gain, and he’s often struggled with the yo-yo effect of dieting. The yo-yo effect refers to the constant up and down of a persons weight as a result of dieting, much like the up and down motion of a yo-yo. He said that people around him were always surprised when they saw him and asked him if he was gaining or losing weight.
In Channel A’s Let’s Have a Meal, Shindong revealed that ever since he debuted, SM Entertainment hasn’t ever pressured him about his weight. He also revealed that when he had lost some weight, Lee Soo-man complimented him and asked him if he was not going on a diet anymore. His question made the performer consider dieting again.
While filming SBS’s Law of The Jungle in middle of 2017, the cast were surviving by eating only one meal a day. Shindong was lost a significant amount of weight while he was in the jungle, and you could see the difference in his face when you looked at a photo from his first day versus the sixth day of filming the program.
On April 9, 2018, Shindong was one of the guests on jTBC’s Please Take Care of My Refrigerator, and he revealed that he went on a diet for Super Junior’s comeback. In the two months earlier, he weighed 116 kg (256 lbs). Thanks to his diet, he lost 23 kg (50 lbs) and weighed 93 kg (205 lbs).
Shindong shared that he studied really hard for his diet. He read a lot of books and watched documentaries. He decided to go on a ‘free regulated diet’ or ‘unlimited eating diet’, which allowed him to eat as much as he wanted. The main point of the diet was to not fight against hunger and focus on eating foods that wouldn’t make him gain fat.
The performer talked about the foods and beverages he consumed while he was on the diet. The first thing he added to his diet was soy milk. Instead of eating, he changed his meal to 5 packs of soy milk. The second item on his menu was canned tuna. He clarified that the oil that the tuna is packed in was a type oil that is good for the body. Another chef added that it was olive oil.
The third thing on his menu was calamansi jelly and the fourth menu item was basil candy. The basil candy was a gift from his fans, who were supporting his diet. The fifth and last menu item was zero cola. He said that he couldn’t eat that much, even if he was allowed to eat without limits. He always had to bear in mind that he was on a diet.
Facts about Shindong
- He used the stage name ‘Shindong’ because his birth name sounds similar to his fellow member, Donghae
- His stage name means child prodigy
- He has a younger sister, called Ahn Da-young
- He’s Super Junior’s choreographer
- He was the first to have his first kiss, among all the members of his group
- He likes to shop online because sometimes it’s hard to find his size in stores, and it embarrasses him when the size is unavailable
- He used to share a room with the manager in Super Junior’s dorm
- When he is on a diet, he talks about food in his sleep
- His closest friend in Super Junior is Sungmin. They often ride scooters and take selcas together
- In April 2007, Shindong, Leeteuk, Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, and two managers were injured in a car accident. Shindong and Eunhyuk suffered minor injuries while Leeteuk and Kyuhyun sustained more serious injuries.
- On March 24, 2015, he enlisted into the military. He was discharged on December 23, 2016. He served 21 months of active duty at the 55th army division’s military band