Luna—A South Korean Singer and Main Vocalist of Female Group F(X)
Luna is a South Korean girl group member of F(X). She debuted as a member of F(X) on September 5th, 2009, with the single “LA chA TA” along with other members Krystal, Victoria, Sully, and Amber. After leaving SM Entertainment, Luna pursued her career as a solo artist. She also opened a YouTube channel and started making videos about her daily activities. In this article, Channel-Korea will provide you with a rundown of everything you should know about Luna! Stay tuned.
Luna’s Full Profile
- Stage Name: Luna (루나)
- Occupation: Singer, Actress, Musical Actress, TV Presenter, YouTuber
- Position: Main Vocalist, Lead Dancer
- Real Name: Park Sun Young (박선영)
- Nicknames: Lulu, Puppy, Koala, LunCheonsa, LunMari, Lushinbayeva, Seonyeong, Sunyo, Sunny, Pretty No.3
- Date of Birth: August 12th, 1993
- Place of Birth: Mungyeong-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea
- Nationality: Korean
- Star Sign: Leo
- Height: 161cm (5 ft 3¾ in)
- Weight: 44 kg (97 lbs)
- Blood Type: A
- Religion: Christianity
- Debut Date: September 5th, 2009, with single “LA chA TA”
- Agency: SM Entertainment (2009–2019)
- Associated Acts: F(X)
- Education: Mojeon Elementary School (graduated), Baehwa Girls’ Middle School (graduated), Lila Art High School (Department of Practical Music/Graduated), Chung-Ang University (Production/Bachelor of Arts)
- Official Instagram: hermosavidaluna, oveluna0812, lunaroom6
- Official YouTube Channel: Luna’s Alphabet루나의 알파벳
- Official Website: LUNA SMTOWN
Facts about Luna
- Her hobbies are reading and watching movies. She likes to eat pizza, but she can’t consume that as much as she likes to because of her diet.
- In 2011, she was crowned the champion of the arm wrestling competition, an extra section of KBS2’s special program Idol Brain Battle.
- Since April 15th, 2011, she hosted MTV KOREA’s weekly music program THE SHOW, and appeared in KBS’ Immortal Masterpiece 2.
- Luna has an older brother and a twin sister named Jin-young.
- Luna was discovered by SM Entertainment after her appearance in the reality TV show Truth Game in 2006.
- On May 15th, 2013, on the occasion of Chung-Ang University Day, she threw the first pitch and hit the first pitch with Lee Yong-gu in the Doosan-Samsung field game of the professional baseball league.
- Luna looks similar to her fellow singers, BoA and Ailee. Also, she is best friends with solo singer IU.
- Luna can speak Chinese; however, there are only two people in the group who can speak Chinese, so there are not so many opportunities to show them, and they seem to be able to communicate simply rather than being fluent. She is also learning Japanese.
- She came out from place to place at the beginning of her debut as an entertainer, and even revealed herself as one of her talents because of her positive reaction. She also went on entertainment shows with members who were not good at Korean, and made frequent comments and listened to her aunt’s voice.
- She’s been nicknamed the Healthy Girl since her debut, however, she can’t dance on stage because she either gets sick or hurts her legs. She doesn’t seem to be physically fit, such as hearing that she’s been treated. She was on vitamins and claimed she had a poor intestinal condition because she was young, and she ranked first in the survey to find out who was the youngest but expected to have the least expected life span.
- Luna has often expressed his desire to become a radio DJ. She revealed that she really wants something she hasn’t done. She worked as a temporary DJ for FMdate on behalf of Sunny, who was away for a while due to her overseas schedule. As a guest on FMdate, she invited her favorite singer Lucia and confirmed that she was a big fan.
- In 2015, she received the first prize at SM Halloween and received a travel ticket to LA. She said she would give it to her parents.
- In May of 2016, Luna made her solo debut with “Free Somebody.”
- On March 3rd, 2020, Luna confessed that she had a panic disorder by sending Sulli, who had been living together with her as members of f(x) in October 2019 at MBC’s Good People and sending her only best friend on November 27th, a month later.
Luna’s History As An F(X) Member
Luna was discovered by SM Entertainment through her appearance on the reality TV show Truth Game in 2006. She later made her debut as the main vocalist and lead dancer of f(x) on September 5th, 2009, along with Victoria, Amber, Krystal, and previously Sulli until her departure from the group in August 2015. The group officially debuted with the release of the digital single “La Cha Ta.” Group names are uniquely expressed in the form of f(x), a mathematical symbol meaning “function expression.” Like a formula that changes the result according to the value of “x”, it contains the meaning of promoting various activities in Asia based on the various charms and concepts of the members.
Luna has a clear voice and a wide vocal range, it naturally expresses high-pitched songs. When listening to the “You Are My Destiny” solo, people can see that emotional power, high-pitched processing, and volume improved even more than in 2009, when the song was first released. As an f(x) member, Luna has been receiving more public attention along with the members.
On June 10th, 2012, F(X) released their second EP titled Electric Shock. With Electric Shock, they won the Best Dance Performance – Female Group at the MAMA Awards in 2012. F(x) were still doing activities until the end of 2016, but after that, they were exempted from intervening in group promotions because members have focused on individual music, acting, and modeling careers.
Check out one of f(x)’s music videos and a focus fan-cam of Luna:
Besides the activities as a group, Luna has made many solo appearances. In 2010, she had been a frequent Star King member for a long time and received the SBS Entertainment Award in the NewComer category for her presence and effort. She also made a solo debut with “Free Somebody” in May of 2016.
Check out Luna’s “Free Somebody,” here:
Solo Career And Departure From SM Entertainment
After her departure from SM Entertainment, Luna signed with a new agency. Luna also shared her thoughts after leaving SME on her personal Instagram. She posted a selfie and a long caption. It said, “Hello, this is Luna.♥️ From the beginning of my debut until now, and leaving SM Entertainment for a long time, I’m joining the new agency, Humap Contents. We laughed together for a long time, we cried together. I sincerely thank the SM Town family. I won’t forget how grateful I am, and I will work harder to show my fans various sides of me. With your words of support, I will be someone who always puts in my full effort!! Thank You ♥️”
After signing with the new agency, Luna made an official Twitter account, an official Weibo account, and a TikTok Douyin account. She also made an official Daum Fancafé. It was announced on her official Twitter.
Luna’s first solo activity with the new agency was to be included in an OST Drama. Check out the making film of the songs, here: