Song Joong-ki’s Military Service
In 2013, Song Joong-ki left the entertainment scene temporarily at the peak of his popularity to fulfill the mandatory military service that all able-bodied South Korean men are required to do. Song Joong-ki’s last drama before enlisting to fulfill his army duties was The Innocent Man (2012), where he romanced Moon Chae-won and cemented his prowess as a swoon-worthy leading man. Prior to his enlistment for his mandatory military service, he held a fan meet up on August 17, 2013, then enlisted on August 27th at the 102nd draft camp in Chuncheon.
The actor shared that at first, he was afraid for several reasons. Firstly, he joined the army later than most Korean men. Secondly, he is a celebrity, which means that people will look at him differently. In addition, cavalry division is known as a barrack with challenging and tough military training as it is near the demilitarized zone between the two Koreas (South & North). However, he overcame those fears and completed his duty with the help of advice from an unnamed commander.
He completed his compulsory military service on May 26th, 2015. It is said that on the morning of May 26th, when Song Joong-ki had his discharge ceremony, in his first official appearance in front of his fans and the press, he was moved to tears after seeing the large group of fans waiting for him.
Song Joong-ki’s Most Recent News in 2018
Here are some recent news about Song Joong-ki, after his hiatus (after marriage) from the public and the acting world!
- He was offered to star in a Netflix Original series, Kingdom, a Korean zombie historical drama that follows the prince of Joseon, investigating a mysterious epidemic that spreads across the villages. He immediately turned down the offer because of Song Hye-kyo. At that time, he was committed to focusing on the wedding.
- On April 28th, 2018, Song Joong-ki attended a friend’s wedding in Jeonju. The top star even stood in front of the crowd and delivered a congratulatory message.
- On September 1st, 2018, Song Joong-ki held the fan meeting titled, ‘The Days We Spent Together’, at Kyung Hee University, Grand Peace Palace. This is the actor’s first fan meeting in two years.
- In September 2018, Song Joong-ki was seen spending his Chuseok holiday doing voluntary work. Fellow volunteer worker and model Park Yeong-sun posted a photo on her Instagram showing her and Song Joong-ki doing volunteer work for the Korean Thanksgiving holiday. It was also revealed that Song’s agency, Blossom Entertainment, was not made aware of the voluntary work and the actor arranged it on his own.
- Following a break of about two years, Song Joong-ki will make his return on the small screens with Asadal Chronicle, with co-star Kim Ji-won, marking his first drama after the conclusion of the hit drama Descendants of the Sun. He will star as a character with a tragic fate, who tries to revolt against the fabled kingdom of Asadal. The drama series is expected to be a blockbuster production.
Meet Song Joong-ki’s Wife, Song Hye-kyo
Descendants of the Sun is one of Song Joong-ki’s most successful works. It is a South Korean TV Series that aired in 2016 where he officially met his current wife, Song Hye-kyo. After the drama aired, there had been a lot of rumors going around about the Song Song couple. The actors themselves denied the rumors several times but later confirmed their relationship, together with the wedding news, out of the blue. It was later revealed that they didn’t want the media to reveal their relationship before they could do it themselves. They believed that it was their duty to tell fans first.
On July 5th, 2017, the couple announced that they are engaged and will be getting married the same year, on October 31st. The wedding was a private ceremony at Hotel Shilla in Seoul, as the couple didn’t want any unwanted attention from the media. Since the couple has been married for over a year, the speculations are that they are soon to welcome their first child. However, the couple has neither denied nor confirmed the rumors of Hye-kyo’s pregnancy.
Facts About Song Joong-ki & Song Hye-kyo
Collection of Facts & Trivia about the Song Song couple :
- The couple first met each other in 2013 through Jo In-sung, who had starred in the drama That Winter, the Wind Blows together with Song Hye-kyo. As far as Song Hye-kyo could remember, Song Joong-ki made a surprise visit to the set of That Winter The Wind Blows. After this meet-up, Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo had run into each other a couple of times. Looking back, she said that by some stroke of coincidence, they would end up bumping into each other at the same coffee shop.
- They started having feelings for each other before Descendants of the Sun had aired. The drama was pre-produced so they actually began filming in the second half of 2015.
- On the set of Song Hye-kyo’s photo shoot, Song Joong-ki had secretly brought over some snacks. It was even before their drama began airing, so the staff wondered why he came.
- Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo sometimes accompanied each other whenever they had international schedules. Before their relationship began, Song Hye-kyo felt a bit reluctant to date a celebrity, but she was eventually won over by Song Joong-ki’s sincerity.
- Song Hye-kyo has revealed that Song Joong-ki has been her strength during tough times.
- Song Joong-ki has said that Song Hye-kyo has comforted him whenever he would cry.
- Fans were confident they were dating when it was discovered the two were on a trip together to Bali.
- An online post started going viral when the two actors were spotted getting dinner together in the Big Apple, New York.
- They have matching bracelets and have been seen wearing them on different occasions.
- While filming Descendants of the Sun, they called each other with ‘Joong Ki’ and ‘senior (sunbae)’.
- However, their agencies revealed that Song Joong-ki is often called ‘Kyo’, while Song Hye-kyo is often called ‘Song’. Sometimes, they even call each other ‘honey’ (jagiya).
Song Joong-ki’s Wedding Ceremony
Here are the details of the Song Song couple wedding:
- The wedding invitation was a simple white card containing the relevant details of the event along with a romantic quote, that said, “Finally found the right person we have been waiting for a long time. Please come and share with us this joyful day with your wisdom and courage that you’ve learned along the journey of your life. Your enlightenment will guide us to walk through our own adventure.”
- The ceremony was attended by 300 people; Super Junior’s Dong Hae, Kim Hee-sun, Hwang Jung-min, Park Bo-young, Yoo Yeon-seok, Haha, So Ji-sub, and others. Even Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi was also spotted at the wedding.
- Song Hye-kyo’s close friend, singer Ok Joo-h Hyun, was chosen to sing the honorary song at their wedding. Despite the many traditional wedding songs, the Song Song couple personally requested her to sing “A Whole New World” from the Disney movie Aladdin.
- Park Bo-gum and Park Hyung-sik congratulated the new couple by dedicating a beautiful song for them.
- For the wardrobe, both Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo wore the luxury brand, Christian Dior. The flower arrangements decorating the hall ranged between 50 and 80 million KRW ($45,000 to $72,000). Tallying up the total wedding expenses to an estimated 200 million KRW ($180,000).