South Korean Actress Shin Eun-kyung
Shin Eun-kyung is a South Korean actress. She is best known for her leading roles in Downfall (1997) and My Wife Is a Gangster (2001). She was born on February 15, 1973, in Busan, South Korea. Shin Eun-kyung is a university graduate and a film and theater major.
Shin Eun-kyung’s Profile
|Name||Shin Eun-Kyung ( 신은경 )|
|Born||February 15, 1973, Busan, South Korea|
|Education||Dankook University – Theater and Film|
|Years active||1988 – Present|
|Spouse(s)||Kim Jung-soo (2003-2007; divorced)|
Shin Eun-kyung’s Personal Life
Shin Eun-kyung married to Kim Jung-soo, who was then the CEO of her talent agency Good Player Entertainment, on September 22, 2003. Not long after her marriage, in the following years, she gave birth to a son who was later diagnosed with hydrocephalus. Shin Eun-kyung filed for divorce from her husband because she learned that Kim had used her private seal without her permission to misappropriate ₩400 million (US$424,800) for his business, after its merger with Fantom Entertainment and the box office failure of several films he’d produced, on August 24, 2007.
Still the same year, Shin Eun-kyung sued her husband, Kim Jung-soo for forgery of private documents. In a separate case, she was sued by KM Culture, the company from which Kim had taken a loan which amounted to ₩290 million (US$218,000). On December 28, 2008, the court ruled that Shin Eun-kyung was not liable for her ex-husband’s debts, stating that although Shin Eun-kyung’s seal is on the loan contract, she had not seen any of the money loaned, had not authorized her seal’s use, and is therefore not responsible for the debt.
She returned to being the main news in the media after information about her making changes to her jaw in 2011 became public. Reportedly, she did this because she felt making her strong jawline “slimmer and more rounded” would give her a “younger, softer, more feminine” look, which would result in more acting roles. Then, not long after, she said that she regretted the operation on her face and asked the public to think more before operating because of the pain from the operation.
In 2012, she returned to dealing with legal channels with cases that were different from before. She sued an oriental medicine clinic for violating her portrait rights and privacy after it posted false ads on the internet without her permission, featuring her photo and treatment process; she had gone to the clinic to decrease the swelling on her face, a side effect of her jaw reconstruction surgery, but the clinic’s treatments proved ineffective. The court ruled in Shin’s favor and awarded her damages amounting to ₩35 million.
Shin Eun-kyung’s Career
Shin Eun-Kyung began appearing in commercials in 1986 at the age of 13 and made her television debut in 1988 on KBS. Throughout the late eighties and early nineties, she acted in a great number of films and TV dramas (notably in the 2001 medical drama General Hospital). She was known because of her warm screen presence. However, she took on her most daring role as a prostitute in veteran director Im Kwon-taek’s film Downfall in 1997. The film was a box-office success, making her one of the most famous stars in South Korea.
Shin Eun-kyung starred in two films, including the Korean-Japanese co-produced horror film The Ring Virus, based on the novel by Koji Suzuki in 1999. Her success in this role led to her being cast for a small role in a Japanese film, Uzumaki (also known as Spiral). Around this time, Shin Eun-kyung was chosen to play the MC in a television game show.
Shin Eun-kyung starred in her most famous role as a tough, female gang boss in My Wife Is a Gangster. The film drew more than 5 million spectators and became a big hit throughout Asia in 2002. After a successful first release, Shin Eun-kyung was again trusted to play in the sequel of My Wife Is a Gangster, but the film faltered at the box office in 2003. Other roles Shin starred in around this time were as a detective in This Is Law (also known as Out of Justice), as a professional matchmaker in the romantic comedy A Perfect Match, and as a naval officer in the box office bomb Blue.
Shin Eun-kyung took a hiatus from the entertainment world to get married and take care of his son. She then returned to the entertainment world in 2005, and starred in films such as Bystanders and Mr. Housewife and also television series such as Bad Couple, Mom’s Dead Upset, White Lies, Still You, and Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident.
Shin Eun-kyung’s Child
Shin Eun-kyung began to talk about her ill son when she returned to the filming set into a sea of tears. Shin Eun-kyung was a guest in the upcoming episode of SBS’s Healing Camp and opened up about her 9-year old son, who is currently fighting against a medical condition called hydrocephalus. She revealed that she suffered from a lot of hardships throughout the years, but lived for her son.
“I found out about his medical condition when he was about 2 years old. He’s currently 9, but his mind is of a 3-year-old.” MC’s Lee Kyung-kyu, Kim Jae-dong, Han Hye-jin, and even the staff members were unable to hide their tears as they listened to her heartbreaking story.
Did Shin Eun-kyung Undergo Plastic Surgery?
Plastic surgery is a way that many people, both the general public and famous artists in Korea, have to take to look as handsome and as beautiful as they wish. If there are usually artists who cover up for having done plastic surgery to have a handsome and beautiful face like now, some of these Korean artists honestly say that they have done plastic surgery for various reasons. Shin Eun-kyung is one of those Korean artists who dare to admit to having done plastic surgery to get a more perfect jaw. This actress includes the courage to take risks because of operating her jaw. This type of surgery is a procedure that can be life-threatening and the price is not cheap. She wanted to make her face a little warmer and not cold like before the surgery.
In order to get a softer facial appearance, actress Shin Eun-kyung was determined to undergo a jaw change surgery in 2011. Through her miroblog, Shin Eun-kyung released two photos of her face, before and after undergoing plastic surgery.
“I really want to get a good role in every drama that I act in. In addition, I also want to look younger,” Shin Eun-kyung wrote on her miroblog, as quoted by Korea on Tuesday (08/23/2011).
The plastic surgeon who treated Shin Eun-kyung said, “Shin Eun-kyung has talked about the desire to get a new face, for a long time. The dream was only realized two months ago.
Shin Eun-kyung’s condition after surgery was good as she quickly recovered. She was able to drink orange juice a day after surgery and eat porridge on the second day,” said the unnamed doctor.
The decision to do jaw surgery, revealed Shin Eun-kyung, has been thought through very carefully. It has been studied in detail, including the operating procedures that will be carried out.
Shin Eun-kyung’s Movies
- The Plan | Sulgye (2014) – Se-hee
- Born To Sing | Jeonguk Noraejarang (2013) – Moon Bo-ri’s mother
- Reason Why Women Are Unconventional | Geu Yeojaga Saekdareun Yiyoo (2012) – Geum-ok
- Love, In Between | Du Yeoja (2010) – Han So-young
- Diary of June | Yuwolui ilgi (2005) – Chu Ja-young
- Mr. Housewife | Miseuteo Jubu Kwizeuwang (2005) – Koh Soo-hee
- My Wife Is a Gangster 2 | Jopog Manura 2: Dolaon Jeonseol (2003) – Cha Eun-jin
- Blue (2003) – Kang Su-jin
- A Perfect Match | Joheun saram isseumyeon sogae shikeojwo (2002) – Kim Hyo-jin
- This Is Law | Igeoshi beobida (2001)
- My Wife Is a Gangster | Jopog Manura (2001) – Cha Eun-jin
- Spiral Uzumaki (2000) – Chie Maruyama
- General Hospital the Movie: A Thousand Days (2000)
- Ring Virus | Ring (1999) – Sun-ju
- A Mystery of the Cube | Geonchugmuhan yugmyeongagcheui bimil (1998) – Tae-kyoung
- Downfall Chang (1997)
- The Young Man | Jeolmeun namja (1994)
- Love in the Rain | Bineun salangeul tago (1994)
- Beginning of Love | Sarangeun jigeumbuteo shijakiya (1991)
- Kuro Arirang (1989)
Shin Eun-kyung’s Drama Series
- Empress’s Dignity | Hwanghooui Poomkyeok (SBS/2018-2019) – Lee Hyuk’s mother
- The Village: Achiara’s Secret | Maeul: Achiaraui Bimil (SBS/2015) – Yoon Ji-sook
- The Time We Were Not In Love | Neoreul Saranghan Shigan (SBS/2015) – Goo Yeon-jung (ep.3)
- Oh My Ghost | Oh Naui Gwishinnim (tvN/2015) – Jo Hye-young (Sun-woo’s mother)
- Family Secrets | Gajokui Bimil (tvN/2014-2015) – Han Jung-yeon
- Your Neighbor’s Wife | Ne Yiootui Anae (JTBC/2013) – Hong Kyung-joo
- Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident | Seukaendeul: Maewoo Choonggyeokjukigo Boododeuckhan Sagun (MBC/2013) – Yoon Hwa-young
- Still You | Geuraedo Dangsin (SBS/2012) – Cha Soon-young
- Flames of Desire | Yokmangui Bolggot (MBC/2010) – Yun Na-young
- White Lie | Hayeon Geojitmal (MBC/2008-2009) – Seo Eun-young
- Mom’s Dead Upset | Eommaga Bbulnada (KBS2/2008) – Na Young-soo
- Bad Couple | Bulryang Keoppeul (SBS/2007) – Kim Dang-ja
- Wave | Pado (SBS/1999)
- General Hospital | Jonghap Byeongwon (MBC/1994)
- Last Game | Majimak Seungbu (MBC/1994)
Shin Eun-kyung’s Television Movies
- Drama Special: Bad Families | Nabbeun Gajokdeul (KBS2/2017) – Park Myung-hwa
Shin Eun-kyung’s Awards
- Best Actress (special project) (“Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident”) – 2013 MBC Drama Awards – December 30, 2013
- Excellent Actress (weekend/daily drama) (“Still You”) – 2012 SBS Drama Awards – December 31, 2012
- Ten Star Award (“Still You”) – 2012 SBS Drama Awards – December 31, 2012