Young, Yet Experienced Actress, Shim Eun-kyung
Do you still remember the cute and naive Im Na-mi from Sunny? Or the eccentric pianist Nae-il from Naeil’s Cantabile? The girl playing these memorable roles is Shim Eun-kyung, a 24 years-old actress who already has a lot of experience in acting since she made her debut when she was only nine years old. With 14 years of experience in the entertainment industry, Shim Eun-kyung has starred in numerous movies and television series, covering various genres. Her hard work has been praised and acclaimed by winning and being nominated for many awards.
Even though she has been deemed an ultra-talented actress, Shim Eun-kyung was once harshly criticized for her role of a savant pianist in Naeil’s Cantabile. This series was adapted from Japanese big hit manga Nodame Cantabile. The series had suffered from a continuous decline in ratings due to its weak narrative development and supposedly the poor acting performance by Shim Eun-kyung. However, the series did get a high rating on Tving, a mobile and internet streaming site for live television.
Her 2014 movie Miss Granny was definitely the opposite from the series Naeil’s Cantabile. After the movie was released, it became a huge box office hit with 8.65 million tickets sold. She gained huge success by acting as a young lady with a granny’s soul. Also, thanks to this movie, Shim Eun-kyung won 4 from the 6 award nominations for her hard work in Miss Granny.
Shim Eun-kyung also starred in numerous big hit television series and movies that you might know of. Let’s check below to find out more about her!
Full Profile of Shim Eun-kyung
Name/Hangul: Shim Eun-kyung / 심은경
Date of Birth: May 31, 1994
Place of Birth: Gangneung, South Korea
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Nationality: South Korean
Height: 162 cm
Weight: 47 kg
Hobby: listening to music, reading science fiction comics, and taekwondo
Family: the eldest of 4 children, two brothers and a sister
Education: Professional Children’s School, New York
Agency: A.N.D Entertainment
Years Active: 2004-present
Fun Facts About Shim Eun-kyung
- She used to play the drums with her friends and formed a group called Chick and Candy
- She is Seo Taiji and Boys’ fangirl (CEO YG used to be in the group)
- Besides the drums, she also plays the piano and electric guitar
- She likes the Japanese animation movie Akira
- She used to wish to be like Peter Pan when she was young, she didn’t want to grow up
- She worried about her acting as Hee-joo in Missing You (2016), she thought that it wasn’t good enough
- Joo Won recommended her to play in the movie Naeil’s Cantabile
- She decided to study abroad in Pittsburgh High School because there were not so many Koreans
- She was so tired mentally and physically from acting since she was a child, that she had to take hiatus time
- She wants to direct a movie
- She is a good friend Son Na-eun from A-PINK