The Cool and Aloof Dancing King, The8!
The8 (born with the name Xu Ming Hao) is one of the Seventeen members who have an incredible talent for dancing. He came from China and had the shortest training period in the group (1 year and 2 months).
He is known to be one of the quietest members of the group. But, if you get to know him more, he actually has a caring and nurturing side for his members!
Are you ready to get to know him better? Check out his full profile below!
Full Profile of Seventeen’s The8
- Stage Name: THE8 (디에잇)
- Birth Name: Xu Ming Hao (徐明浩)
- Korean Name: Seo Myung-ho (서명호)
- Position: Lead Dancer, Sub Vocalist, Sub Rapper
- Birthday: November 7, 1997
- Zodiac sign: Scorpio
- Nationality: Chinese
- Hometown: Anshan, Liaoning, China
- Height: 179 cm (5’10.5″)
- Weight: 58 kg (128 lbs)
- Blood Type: O
- Instagram: @xuminghao_o
- Weibo: xuminghao_The8
- Spotify list: The8’s sentimental time
Interesting Facts About Seventeen’s The8
- Anshan, Liaoning, China, is his hometown.
- He has no siblings.
- ‘Little 8’ and ‘Fairy’ are his nicknames.
- Seo Myung-ho (서명호) is his Korean nickname.
- Before he debuted, he was a part of a b-boy group in China for about 6 years.
- He got the shortest training period in the group for about 1 year and 5 months.
- In Seventeen, he was a part of the performance team.
- He participated in National Children’s martial arts competition and won the first trophy.
- Since he was 5 years old, he has been practicing Chinese martial art, Wushu.
- Since childhood, he dreamt of becoming a superstar after watching a lot of variety shows so he got into a school audition in China.
- Summer is his favorite season.
- Seven is his favorite number.
- 260 is his shoe size.
- Break dancing, martial arts, and watching dramas are his hobbies.
- He reads when he is sad or stressed.
- He prefers Chinese food over Korean food.
- He makes sure that he is not skipping any meals.
- If he eats too many cold foods, he’ll get stomachaches.
- He cannot eat cold foods including naengmyeon and ice cream.
- He was in a group chat with other ’97 liners idols such as Seventeen‘s The8, Mingyu, DK; GOT7‘s Bambam & Yugyeom; BTS‘ Jungkook; NCT‘s Jaehyun; and Astro‘s Cha Eunwoo.
- He’s also friends with other Chinese idols such as Pentagon’s Yanan and WayV’s Winwin.
- He sees Seventeen as his family in Korea.
- He looks up to his parents.
- Former Super Junior M’s member Henry is his role model.
- He likes all colors.
- He is one of the smartest Seventeen members.
- At the time of his debut (2015), he has only been in Korea for about 5 years, so he is the most awkward in Korean among foreign members.
- When he gets angry, he shows a complete Korean pronunciation because he picks up many Korean.
- His Korean is influenced by the Chinese tone.
- Rice is his favorite food.
- Kermit, the frog, is his favorite character.
- He likes summer because he likes the sea.
- He took the number 8 in his name because he said that the number 8 is a number that brings good luck to Chinese people’s beliefs.
- He’s a clean freak and he likes to clean the dorm.
- He has acquired a driver’s license.
- He wants to look cool and sexy when performing on stage.
- He started to learn dancing when he was in elementary school.
- Along with Seventeen’s Jun and Samuel, he appeared on a Chinese show titled The Collaboration.
- He also appeared on season 2 of the Chinese’ variety show Idol Producer as a dance mentor.
- INFJ is his MBTI.
- He’s trying to improve his rap apart from dancing.
- He has his room in Seventeen’s dorm.
- He can speak Mandarin and Korean.
- He described his ideal type as ‘someone cute and kind’.
The8’s Official Debut with Seventeen
Since he was a child, The8 was interested in dancing rather than studying, so he learned dancing and B-boying professionally with his parents’ support. While attending an art school in Beijing, a representative watched The8 while taking a dance class outside the window. The8 then got cast by that representative after that.
He accepted the offer. After all, he dreamed of becoming a singer because he thought he could do more dancing if he went to Korea. He then joined Pledis Entertainment starting from December 2013 and went training for about 1 year and 5 months. Later, The8 would debut with a boy group called Seventeen.
Initially, Seventeen was set to debut in 2013 as a 17-member group after Pledis Entertainment confirmed that they would appear in the regular live broadcast of a Seventeen TV show, airing on UStream. They showed their debut process through that show and even ended it with a concert. Sadly, their debut in 2013 was canceled.
Two years later, the group appeared again on their pre-debut reality show, Seventeen Project – The Debut Mission, with 13 total members: The8, Seungkwan, S.coups, Jeonghan, Joshua, Vernon, Jun, Hoshi, Wonwoo, Woozi, DK, Mingyu, and Dino. The8’s teaser was released on April 22, 2015, where he performed his martial art talent. Perhaps, this teaser is a hint that he later would occupy the performance team of the group.
He finally made his debut with Seventeen on May 26, 2015, through the song “Adore U” on MBC Music. The song is the lead track of Seventeen’s first mini-album, 17 Carat, officially released on May 29, 2015.
Seventeen’s debut was considered a success as they even became the only k-pop group to enter the Billboard “21 Under 21 2015” list. They gathered a solid fanbase and career journey through the years.
Seventeen’s The8’s Visual and Personality
The8 is notorious for its very small and slim face with rounded features. At first, he was considered cute with his tall and thin figure. But, along the way, he showed off his sexy, cool, and aloof image for his unbothered personality.
He is known to be one of the quietest members of the group. During his early debut career, he often stays silent on various events with other Seventeen members because he doesn’t understand what they are talking about.
He said that Korean was the most complicated language he had learned. He was working hard on his Korean so that he can understand all the conversations of his friends. That’s why in his early debut time, he mainly observes more than he talks because he is in the process of learning Korean.
The8 generally is a hardworking man and is always strives to give his best in everything. This is probably because he comes from China, where parents usually educate their children with discipline.
Despite his cool and aloof appearance at first glance, he is a softie, and he likes children a lot. He said that he would want to protect everyone around him, and he wants to make them feel safe.
Whoa, who would have thought that he was very caring and romantic behind his unbothered persona?
Seventeen’s The8 as the Dance King
The8 has been dancing and doing martial arts ever since he was little (5 years old!) so no wonder that he got flexible moves and a tall body.
He said that he was considering Pledis Entertainment’s offer because he wants to do more dancing. Dancing is the love of his life.
And through that, he finally achieved his dream as one of the K-pop dancing kings in one of the most complex choreography boy groups, Seventeen!