The Happy Virus of Seventeen, Seungkwan!
When you hear the name of Seventeen‘s main vocalist Seungkwan, the first thing that you notice is probably his strong and melodious vocals. But, aside from having good vocals, Seungkwan is actually known as the group’s happy virus. With a cheerful personality, he can liven up the atmosphere and is always entertaining. Aside from that, he has joined many reality shows, so that he has the nickname as a variety show idol.
Are you curious to get to know Seungkwan deeper? Let’s take a full look at his profile in this article!
Full Profile of Seventeen’s Seungkwan
- Stage Name: Seungkwan (승관)
- Birth Name: Boo Seung-kwan (부승관)
- Position: Main Vocalist
- Birthday: 16 January 1998
- Zodiac sign: Capricorn
- Nationality: Korean
- Hometown: Jeju-do, South Korea (but was born in Busan)
- Height: 174 cm (5’8.5″)
- Weight: 58 kg (128 lbs)
- Blood Type: B
- Instagram: @pledis_boos
- Spotify: DJ BOO
Seventeen’s Seungkwan’s Trivia
- He was born in Busan, but he was raised in Jeju since he was little.
- He said that he has a strong attachment to his hometown.
- His father runs a rail bike business in Jeju Island.
- He studied at Dongwang Elementary School, Jeju Jeil Middle School, Seoul Daemyung. High School, and Seoul Broadcasting High School.
- As a student in January 1998, he applied for the early year student.
- He is the third member of Seventeen to be revealed.
- He became a trainee of Pledis Entertainment in June 2012.
- He passed Pledis Entertainment’s audition by singing Kim Bum-soo’s “Last Love”.
- He participated in Childrens’ Song Festivals in his school since his first year of elementary school.
- He never thought of becoming a singer, but he got lucky via an internet video (the video of him singing at the song festival got recorded by his teacher).
- His training period is 3 years and 2 months.
- Boo Jinseol and Boo Sojeong are the names of his older sisters.
- His sister, Boo Sojeong, debuted as a singer in October 2020.
- He has a cheerful personality and loves to make other people laugh.
- He got nicknamed the mood maker at Seventeen.
- When he was in middle school, he had the nickname President Bush (Boo-ssi sounds like Bush).
- He knows many girl group’s choreographies.
- He is said to resemble actor Moon Joon-won.
- At first, he used to be afraid that no one would pay him any attention.
- He likes hamburgers, but he is allergic to tomatoes.
- He doesn’t like cartoons.
- Previously, he was offered to become a trainee at JYP Entertainment, but he refused it.
- Mr. Mic, MC Boo, and DJ Boo are his nicknames.
- Playing volleyball, calligraphy, basketball, and musical singing are his hobbies.
- Hamburger and goguma pizza are his favorite food.
- He prefers salty to sweet.
- Summer and Fall are his favorite Seasons.
- Volleyball and basketball are his favorite sports.
- He can remember the birthdays of all Seventeen’s members.
- He likes to take care of the members.
- He idolizes Wonder Girls.
- Vernon is his former roommate (he also used to share a room with Dino and Jun).
- He usually praises Vernon a lot.
- He got his own bedroom in June 2020.
- Kim Junsu is his role model, and he looks up to Kim Junsu’s musical career.
- Since the name starts with Boo is very rare in Korea, some people thought it was his stage name.
- His full name means ‘generous successor’ (Boo means ‘adult’, Seung means ‘success and, ‘Kwan’ means generous).
- If he had superhuman strength, he would want to have teleportation power
- He’s a sensitive man.
- He feels things deeply, especially when he listens to music.
- He likes to have a walk by himself.
- He’s lively, energetic, and diligent.
- He didn’t really like drinking American coffee because it was so bitter.
- He doesn’t really like doing aegyo and doesn’t like the other members doing it (however, he was ranked fifth as one of the male idols with the best aegyo in a poll at Pops In Seoul).
- He loves singing and making people laugh since he was a child.
- He’s close with Astro’s Moonbin, B.A.P‘s Daehyun, and The Boyz’s Haknyeon (they have the same hometown).
- When Seventeen returned with the mini-album Going Seventeen, he admitted that he had lost 7 kg.
- His writing is excellent and pretty.
- He’s the regular cast of tvN’s Prison Life of Fools along with GOT7‘s Jay B and IZ*ONE‘s Yena and Unexpected Q with Eun Jiwon (Sechs Kies) and Yoo Seyoon.
- He is known to be a ‘variety king,’ and he even won the rookie entertainer award in 2018.
- ENFP is his MBTI.
- He can speak Korean, English (basic), and Mandarin (basic).
- He is a big fan of BTOB, especially Eunkwang.
- He and DK have a good relationship with Ryeowook (Super Junior).
- He prefers short-haired girls.
- He said he dreams of becoming a radio DJ.
- He likes mint chocolate.
- He described his ideal type as ‘an easy-going girl with big eyes and is like a friend to him’.
Seungkwan’s Official Debut with Seventeen
Seungkwan became a trainee of Pledis Entertainment in June 2012 after singing Kim Bum-soo’s song “Last Love”. In Pledis Entertainment, he trained for about 3 years and 2 months. He appeared on Orange Caramel’s MV, “Try Like Me” before his debut in Seventeen.
The news of Seungkwan and Seventeen’s debut first reached the public in 2012 when Pledis Entertainment confirmed that they wanted to debut a 17 member, global idol group. They proceed with the news by releasing a teaser clip titled Seventeen TV through their Youtube channel and said that the group would make their debut next year. At that time, Seventeen’s name meant that the group has 17 members with an average age of 17 years old.
Initially, Seventeen was set to be a global idol. The company representative said that the group would debut in 2013 with members from China and Japan to strengthen their overseas popularity. The company representative also said that the group would broadcast their training in a reality show.
It turned out, the group didn’t get to debut that year. Two years later, Pledis Entertainment continued its debut plan in motion after introducing all 13 members for their pre-debut reality show, Seventeen Project – The Debut Mission, which aired on MBC Music.
Seungkwan was the third member of Seventeen that was revealed to the public. His individual teaser was released on April 25, 2015.
Through that reality show, the group showed their journey of debuting. In 2015, the group debuted with 13 members consisted of Seungkwan, S.coups, Jeonghan, Joshua, Jun, Hoshi, Wonwoo, Woozi, DK, Mingyu, The8, Vernon, and Dino. The group debuted with a unique format as the group is divided into 3 units: Vocal Team, Hip Hop Team, and Performance Team. Seungkwan himself is a part of the Vocal Team.
Seventeen debuted on May 26, 2015, with the song “Adore U” on MBC Music. The song is the lead track of Seventeen’s first mini-album, 17 Carat which was officially released on May 29, 2015.
The group’s debut was a hit with mainstream success for its cool, refreshing concept. During their career, Seventeen then continued to carve their name as one of the best K-pop boy groups and has received several awards, such as Golden Disk Awards, Seoul Music Awards, Gaon K-Pop Chart Awards, etc.