Everything You Need To Know About S.E.S Leader And Main Vocalist, BADA
Choi Sung-hee was born on February 28, 1980, in Bucheon, Gyeonggi, South Korea. She’s better known as Bada or Sea, a South Korean singer and musical actress. She is a member of the K-pop women’s vocal group, S.E.S. Bada has released four solo albums and four singles, as well as winning the Best Actress award at the 3rd Musical Awards, and has starred in ten musicals, to date.
Her father is Choi Sae-wol, a trot singer with a background in Korean pansori. Due to financial difficulties during her childhood, especially after her father fell ill, she lived in a container house provided by a local church for nine years until she debuted. In a series of public lectures for adolescents, she conveyed the early journey of her career and encouraged students not to allow their backgrounds to become obstacles in achieving dreams.
Bada was coached by Lee Soo-man and signed on with SM Entertainment. She debuted as a leader and became the main vocal of S.E.S., the first female K-pop group to achieve great success. Bada studied theater at Dankook University.
|Real Name||Choi Sung-hee (최성희)|
|Stage Name||Bada (바다) Or Sea|
|Born||February 28, 1980, Bucheon, Gyeonggi, South Korea|
- She was educated at Dankook University and majored in Theater
- She has a two sisters
- Her father is Choi Sae-wol, a trot singer.
- She lived in a container house provided by the local church for 9 years until her debut, due to financial struggles during her childhood, especially after her father fell ill.
- Bada was guided by Lee Soo-man and entered SM Entertainment.
- She was the first member to be revealed in the group.
- In 2002 her contract with SM Entertainment ended, and she left the company.
- In 2003 Bada signed an exclusive contract with WoongJin entertainment.
- In 2003, she released her debut album “A Day of Renew”
- She played in several musicals such as “Peppermint”, “Broadway on 42nd Street”, “Mozart!”, “Legally Blonde”, “The Scarlet Pimpernel”, “Notre-Dame de Paris”, and “Carmen”.
- Bada won the Best Actress award at the 3rd The Musical Awards, and has starred in ten musicals to date.
- She is a vocal coach for Idol School, an event that formed the group, fromis_9.
- On March 23, 2017, she married a franchise owner who was nine years younger than she is.
- Bada’s ideal type: “When you first see it, you feel a certain feeling. Is there someone like that?“
Bada made her debut with S.E.S. in 1997. The group released their first album titled “I’m Your Girl” on November 1, 1997. They later became the K-pop female vocal group with top album sales. Since their debut, the group has released five Korean albums and two Japanese albums. They also released a compilation album titled “Friend” for the last time, before disbanding in late 2002. S.E.S members Bada and Eugene decided to leave SM Entertainment, while Shoo remained with SM Entertainment until 2006.
Bada released a special album, “Flower”, to celebrate her 20th anniversary on June 13, 2016. The album consisted of four songs: Amazing, Flower (feat. Kanto), Make a Wish and Flower ( Remix version). She also released two music videos, one for Flower on June 13 and another for Amazing on June 15.
Bada signed an exclusive contract with WoongJin entertainment. In 2003, Bada released her debut solo album A Day of Renew, which has sold approximately 130,000 copies, according to the Music Industry Association of Korea. Bada became the first Korean idol singer to venture onto the musical stage in 2003, with the musical Peppermint, a love story about a singer named Bada. It was written for her by creator and producer Lee Yuri, who is also responsible for other musical projects such as Typhoon, Mother and Winter Sonata. In 2004, her second album, Aurora, was released and has sold approximately 23,000 copies.
In 2006, her third album, Made in Sea, was a big success. In 2007, Bada was cast in the role of Denise in the Korean version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Tell Me on a Sunday. Right afterward, she took on the role of Esmeralda as a part of the original Korean cast of Notre-Dame de Paris. Her widely-praised portrayal of Esmeralda gained her acceptance as a musical actress and won her the Best Newcomer Actress award and others at The Musical Awards and the Korea Musical Daesangs in 2008. She reprised the role in 2009.
In 2009, Bada released her fourth album, called See the Sea, which featured both the Korean rap group Untouchable and 2PM’s Ok Taecyeon. The following year, 200 Pounds Beauty, a musical based on the popular movie of the same name, cast Bada in the titular role of Kang Hanbyul, an overweight ghost singer who aspires to become a star and undergoes extensive plastic surgery. Bada’s turn as Kang earned her the Best Actress honor at the third The Musical Awards. She was recast in 2011 for the project.
In 2010, Bada played Peggy Sawyer in Broadway on 42nd Street. In 2012, she briefly took on the role of Mozart’s wife, Constanze, in Mozart!,
In 2013, she was cast as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde. During Legally Blonde, her mother died. Despite the loss, Bada continued performances for the musical until its final run and famously sang Secret Garden’s You Raise Me Up on KBS’s Open Music Concert just two days after her mother’s death. She has since stated that the loss was the reason for her relative inactivity in both her music and musical careers from 2011 to the middle of 2013. In 2013, she was cast as Marguerite in the first Korean adaptation of Frank Wildhorn’s The Scarlet Pimpernel. That same year, Bada appeared as a vocalist for the song City Life on American electronic musician Brian Transeau’s electronic dance music album A Song Across Wires.
- A Day of Renew (2003)
- Aurora (2004)
- Made in Sea (2006)
- See the Sea (2009)
- Start (2006)
- Queen (2007)
- With Me (2011)
- Precious (2014)
- I’m Sorry, I Love You O.S.T. – “One Day Passes” (2004)
- Spring Waltz O.S.T.- “Rainbow” (2006)
- Famous ‘Seven’ Princesses O.S.T. – “Start Again” (2006)
- I Love You O.S.T. – “My Destiny” (2008)
- Baker King Kim Tak-goo O.S.T. – “Only One Person” (2010)
- A Thousand Kisses O.S.T. – “Sweet My Love” (2011)
- Glass Mask O.S.T. – “It Hurts and Hurts” (2012)
- Goddess of Marriage O.S.T. – “Stay” (2013)
- Notre Dame de Paris O.S.T. – Original Korean Cast Recording (2009)
- Carmen O.S.T. – “If I Could” (2013)
- Rain Bad Guy – “Like You” (2002)
- Dynamic Duo Enlightened – “Dream” (2007)
- Windy City Think About’ Chu – “Think About’ Chu” (2008)
- Infinite Challenge Seo Hae-An Highway Music Festival – “A Song Only I Can Sing” (2011)
- BT A Song Across Wires – “City Life” (2013)
- ZoPD Golden Goose Part.1 – “Candy” (2015)
Bada’s Personal Life
S.E.S’s Bada Officially Married With Her Boyfriend 9 Years Old Younger Than Her!
After being found to have a boyfriend in September 2016, Bada finally established her heart to step more seriously with a man who’s nine years younger than she is. Right on this day (03/23), this senior group member of S.E.S officially married her sweetheart.
The marriage blessing process, itself, took place at a Catholic Church in Junglim-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. Before proceeding in a closed procession, Bada first addressed the media crews who had been present outside the church.
This 1980-born singer looked beautiful wrapped in a white dress with that was simple ,but still elegant. Her appearance was made even sweeter with the minimalist accessories that adorned her head. She was accompanied by two fellow group members, Eugene and Shoo, who shared their feelings.
Like releasing her daughter, Eugene expressed her happiness, “I’m very happy. I think it will be more fun. Be happy with the cool groom. Very nice”. Shoo also said the same thing, and according to her, Bada was very well matched with her husband, “Michelle (the godfather of Bada), I love you”.
In addition to her fellow group members, a series of celebrities were also seen attending this closed wedding, starting from her best friends, Solbi’s Younha, former Rainbow member Jisook, Stephanie, actress Cha Ye-Ryeon, and senior actress Chae Si-Ra. There were also her junior, Haein LABOUM, Berry Good, 2PM’s Taecyeon, and Sandara Park. Also seen was her agency partner Ryeowook, who is now a military officer, and Lee Soo-Man.
S.E.S’s Bada Opens Up About Her Husband And Their Love Story
S.E.S’s Bada appeared in her first variety show since her marriage. The episode of JTBC’s “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator” was aired in May and revealed the fridges of Bada and Solbi.
During the show, Bada opened up about being the last member of S.E.S to get married. In March, she married her husband, who is said to look like actor Park Bo Gum.
The singer was set to talk about everything from how the two met until the moment they got married, beginning with, “At first, I was even hesitant to date my husband because of our age gap.” She surprised everyone when she said her nickname for her husband is “Grandpa” while his nickname for her is “Baby.”
Solbi revealed that she’s met Bada’s husband and described him as, “He’s a guy who can make your heart race by just standing there. Though he’s younger than Bada, he’s very reliable and he’s someone who is extremely understanding.”
The full story of Bada and her husband’s beautiful love story will air on May 1 at 9:30 p.m. KST on JTBC’s “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator.”