Meet Seoh-hyun, the Beautiful Maknae and Former Member of SNSD
Seohyun, who has the full name Seo Ju-hyun, is a South Korean singer and actress. She has been popular since her debut as member of Girls Generation in August 2007, one of South Korea’s most famous girl-groups worldwide. Seohyun became the youngest member in the girl-group, with her best talent in singing. Now, she has moved from her label, SM Entertainment, since January 2017, even though still remained a Girls Generation member, then joined Namoo Actors to sharpen her skill in acting in 2019. Let’s get to know Seohyun a little bit more on this Channel-Korea. You may get more understanding about her story!
Full Profile and Facts
Stage Name: Seohyun (서현)
Birth Name: Seo Joo Hyun (서주현)
Birth Date: June 28, 1991
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Birth Place: Seoul, South Korea
Height: 168 cm (5’6″)
Weight: 49 kg (108 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Hobbies: Listening to music
Specialty: Chinese, piano
– She was born in Seoul, South Korea.
– She is the only child in her family, she doesn’t have siblings.
– She was cast during the 2003 SM Casting System.
– Some of her nicknames are: Maknae (the youngest one), Seobaby, Seororo, Hyun, and Joohyun.
– She speaks Korean, basic Chinese, basic Japanese, and basic English.
– She doesn’t like hamburgers.
– She likes eating Goguma (Sweet potatoes).
– She was close to Yoona before debuting
– She is the second0tallest in Girls’ Generation (SNSD), after Sooyoung.
– She usually makes mistakes during performances.
– She said her ideal man is Johnny Depp.
– She loves the manga/dorama Nodame Cantabile.
– Seohyun hates unhealthy foods.
– Seohyun is very obedient to the rule, she always uses a safety belt even if she is in the back seat.
– Seohyun loves to read books, but eventually she stopped reading a lot.
– Seohyun could not drop her habit of using honorifics.
– Seohyun always has herbal medicine in her backpack.
– Seohyun once made Taeyeon watch Keroro.
– Seohyun got upset and cried since their Manager Oppa said if they won an MMA award he would quit smoking, instead he smoked in front of her.
– Seohyun and Taeyeon sang together the Beethoven Virus OST called “Can You Hear Me”
– Seohyun can imitate alarm clocks.
– Seohyun once lost her shoe while performing “Tell Me Your Wish” live.
– Seohyun has a habit of waking up when someone turns on the light or calls out to her.
– Seohyun tried to post all 1000 Keroro stickers everywhere around the Girls’ dorm, but her fellow group members prevented her from doing that.
– Seohyun will stay quiet and exhale through her nose whenever she is angry.
– SNSN members have said that Seohyun takes the longest out of all the members in the bathroom.
– Seohyun went to the same school with SHINee’s Onew.
– She was half of one of popular couples in We Got Married, with her virtual husband Jung Yonghwa from CN Blue, who is the group’s leader. They were given the nickname “Sweet Potato Couple”.
– Seohyun went to the same high-school with Yoona (Daeyeong High School), but then she transferred to Taeyeon’s alma mater, Jeonju Arts High School and graduated there. Lastly, she started attending Dongguk University’s Department of Art along with Yoona.
– She appreared in the dramas: “Unstoppable Marriage” (2007), “Passionate Love” (2012), “The Producers” (ep.1), “Warm and Cozy” (2015), “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo”, “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo” (2016), “Bad Thief, Good Thief” (2017), and “Time” (2018).
– She acted in musicals such as “Moon Embracing the Sun” (2014) and “Gone with the Wind” (2015).
– She acted in the Chinese movie “So I Married an Anti fan” in 2016.
– Seohyun become part of the subgroup of SNSD called “TTS” together with Taeyeon and Tiffany in April 2012.
– Seohyun and Yuri released a song via SM Station, titled “Secret”, on August 28, 2016.
– Seohyun became the third member to release a solo album, with her debut extended play titled “Don’t Say No” in January 2017.
– Seohyun said “I’ll always do my best to be with the unnies (sisters in SNSD) when I’m needed as a part of Girls’ Generation in the future” (November 3, 2017 – Instagram)
– Seohyun was working with Sublime Artist Agency (no contract was set), but she left back in May 2018, and started working on a one-person agency with the help of her close friends and father.
– Recently, Seohyun signed with a new agency, Namoo Actors, in March 2019.
– Seohyun’s ideal type: “Courtesy is the most important factor. I wish he was a guy who can understand from the opposite point of view, and someone who I can always interact with a smile. Seeing a guy like him will probably make me feel better as well.”
Debuted at Young Age with SNSD
Since she was a small child, she had access to learning music, especially piano, violin, and traditional Korean drums. Her mother eventually was a chairman at a private piano school. Besides music, Seohyun also learned how to do horseback riding and skating.
Actually her parents never encouraged her to be come an artist or celebrity, but she credited that her parents chose her path by making her try and experience different things.
Seohyun was discovered by a talent scout while riding the subway as a fifth grader, and doing an audition right after that. She sang children’s songs for her audition at SM Entertainment and got accepted as a trainee.
Seohyun said that BoA, S.E.S, and Fin.K.L. are some of her idols and influences to become a singer, expressing “I thought it was cool to show and communicate the emotions through songs“. Then, in August 2007, Seohyun made her official debut as the youngest member of the girl-group Girls’ Generation. As the way we see, this girl-group became the Nation Girls’ Group in South Korea, since it gained the highest popularity after the release of their hit single “Gee” in 2009, and several songs after that.
Becoming a Solo Artist
Seohyun released her solo album called “Don’t Say No” in January 2017. She released her solo after two other members of Girls Generation, Taeyeon and Tiffany, released their solo albums. They became a sub-unit group from Girls’ Generation called TTS, with some hit songs, such as “Twinkle..Twinkle”.
On this first new album, she took full responsibility in the process, shaping her own music in a way that she could not do before in a large musical group. It showed her personality, and she looked more brave on this song. No doubt that the song “Don’t Say No” hit the top of the South Korean Gaon Album Chart. This album also got recognized by Tamar Herman from Billboard as showing a “new maturity” to the singer.
After her solo release, Seohyun also exhibited a small concert titled “Love, Still – Seohyun”, as part of a series of concerts by SM Entertainment artists.
In October 2017, Seohyun left SM Entertainment after her contract ended. Her future activities with Girls’ Generation remain in discussion.
Turnover as Actress
Seohyun started her career as actress in 2013, when she was still a member of Girls Generation. She was cast in a small role in SBS’s drama Passionate Love, and had the role role as Han Yu-rim, a veterinary student and the first love of the male lead character. She got compliments from Director Bae Tae-sub, who described Seohyun as “perfectly paralleled that of her role” and “her understanding and expressiveness of the character exceeds those of a rookie actress”.
Seohyun proclaimed herself as someone who likes both singing and acting. She also expanded her interest in musical theater. She keenly joined a theater musical since long time, but she dismissed the opportunity that she was given since she felt she was not ready yet. So, after good preparation, she finally joined a musical acting role on January 2014. Seohyun stated that Ock Joo-hyun, musical actress, was her mentor and her inspiration.
The theatrical musical Moon Embracing the Sun become her debut in musical theater. The story was adapted from the novel of the same name. Seohyun got cast as lead role, called Yeon-woo, who is the daughter of a noble family and has a love relationship with the King and his brother.
Seohyun also took part in the web-drama Ruby Ruby Love in OnStyle. She also starred as the female lead in MBC’s weekend drama Bad Thief, Good Thief.
Seohyun was cast in the role of Scarlett O’Hara in the Korean version of Autant en Emporte le Vent in January 2015. This is a French musical based on Gone with the Wind.
Based on her performance in this musical drama, she received a lot of positive feedback. Seon Mi-gyeong of OSEN said that while Seohyun’s performance cannot surpass that of Bada, who shared the same role, her “fierce voice” complemented and successfully expressed an arrogant Scarlett O’Hara. Also, Kim Hyun-joong of Sports Chosun said that Seohyun’s acting was occasionally clumsy, but compared her to Ock Joo-hyun during her rookie days and said that “her ability to bring emotion through song, the most important part of a musical, rivaled that of a veteran actor. Despite a short career, she endlessly showed us various colors and personal charms of a woman’s life.”
Seohyun was also cast in the Korean version of the musical Mamma Mia during February–June 2016. She played a character named Sophie, a 20-year-old bride-to-be, who hopes to find out who her biological father is on her wedding day.
Some comments came from Kim Geum-yeong, from CNB Journal, who commented on Seohyun’s improvement from her prior musical performances, praising her “natural acting” and “daring side”. Then, Park Jeong-hwan from News1 stated Seohyun’s performance made the musical “all the more entertaining”.
Moreover, Seohyun also got supporting roles in the Chinese romantic film So I Married An Anti-fan and the successful K-Drama historical drama Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo on SBS. Because of her acting on this k-drama, Seohyun got a Special Acting Award at the 2016 SBS Drama Awards.
Started in 2018, Seohyun got cast as the female lead in MBC’s melodrama Time. Seohyun is now more actively doing acting. Recently, in March 2019, she signed a contract with a new agency, Namoo Actors.
Plastic Surgery Rumor
Korean artists mostly get judged about plastic surgery among the viewers. Seohyun, who before debut always had a round, cute face, might not have had significant plastic surgery.
To some Koreans, getting eyelid operations has become common even to junior and high school students. But from some sources, Seohyun used eyelid tape, which makes it hard to guess if she underwent double eyelid surgery or not.
Seohyun probably got the tip of her nose operated on, since her nose is looking nice but not overall natural. Her nose is smaller or cuter than before.
Also speaking about her chubby or puffy face, it could be dermal filler, fat grafting, but also t could be just normal her who was always chubby-cheeked. After all, Seohyun has been beautiful and cute since she was a little child.