The Texas Girl—Denise
Korean girl group Secret Number officially debuted on May 19th, 2020, and was celebrated because of the five stunning and diverse members, such as Denise, Dita, Jinny, Lea, and Soodam. The five of them are blessed with their respective skills, talents, and, not to mention, originality (since some of the members come from a different set of cultures and countries).
In the case of Denise, she is a Korean-American who was born in Texas on January 11th, 2001. No wonder she is a good English speaker. But, although she comes from North America, it turns out Denise is very good at cooking Mexican food such as quesadillas and fajitas!
Looking for more information and facts about this Texas Girl aka Secret Number’s Denise? Check out this article to find out all the details that we have for you!
Full Profile of Secret Number’s Denise
- Stage Name: Denise (데니스)
- Birth Name: Denise Kim
- Position: Main Vocalist, Maknae
- Birthday: January 11th, 2001
- Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- Nationality: Korean-American
- Height: –
- Weight: –
- Blood Type: –
- Instagram: @denisethewenise
Fun Facts About Secret Number’s Denise
- Houston, Texas, USA, is Denise’s birthplace.
- Both of Denise’s parents were naturalized to the United States (so it seems like she has no Korean nationality).
- Although Denise does not have Korean nationality, she seems to be proud of her Korean roots and blood.
- Denise attended the Performing Visual Arts High School in Houston, Texas (the same school as Beyoncé).
- Denise grew up mainly listening to pop songs, but she said that K-pop was nice to dance and sing together.
- Denise’s training period is two years.
- Out of the Secret Number members, she has the tallest height.
- Denise can play the guitar.
- Denise used to be a trainee of YG Entertainment back in 2016.
- Denise is the maknae (the youngest in the group).
- Before debuting in Secret Number, Denise used to be a contestant of SBS’s Kpop Star Season 5 and was a part of the group Mazinga.
- She has a SoundCloud account and has released 4 self-composed singles there.
- Blue is Denise’s favorite color.
- Whales are Denise’s favorite animals.
- Winter is Denise’s favorite season.
- Peony is Denise’s favorite flower.
- The Office is Denise’s favorite TV show.
- Vanilla is Denise’s favorite scent.
- Dita is Denise’s roommate in the Secret Number dorm.
- Tori Kelly, The Band CAMINO, The 1975, and Panic! At The Disco are Denise’s favorite artists.
- Celine Dion and Tori Kelly are Denise’s role models.
- EXO, BTS, The Boyz, ATEEZ, and SEVENTEEN are Denise’s favorite K-Pop groups.
- Denise likes and is friends with the members of BLACKPINK.
- Denise owns a dog and a rabbit.
- Denise likes dogs more than cats.
- Denise loves cats although she is allergic to them.
- Denise hates sesame leaves, tomatoes, and olives.
- Denise said on Instagram Q&A that ATEEZ’s “Wave” was a song that reminded her of summer.
- “Boyfriend” by CHAI ft. Khakii is Denise’s favorite song.
- Denise described Jinny as ‘family’ when she was asked what Jinny meant to her.
- Denise is described as ‘lil sister’ by Jinny (both of them are former YG trainee).
- Denise is writing and composing lyrics whenever she has time with Jinny.
- In an Instagram Q&A, she also said that she likes sambal balado.
- “Boy In Luv” is her favorite BTS song.
- After debut, Denise wants to appear on shows like SBS’ Running Man or JTBC’s Knowing Brothers.
- “Bad Boy” and “Psycho” are her favorite Red Velvet songs.
- “Monster” and “Obsession” are her favorite EXO songs.
- Denise loves books and movies but she prefers books to movies.
- Denise is a Christian.
- Kingdom Hearts is Denise’s favorite video game.
- Mulan is Denise’s favorite Disney movie.
- On September 1st, 2020, Denise appeared in the episode of Kpop Daebak w/ Eric. Nam titled “Catching Up: Denise of Secret Number”.
Secret Number’s Denise’s Pre-debut in K-pop Star Season 5
Before debuting in Secret Number, she used to be a contestant of SBS’s Kpop Star Season 5 and was a part of the group Mazinga.
Mazinga itself is one of the most beloved groups in the show and they even advanced to the top 4. In the show, they performed hit songs such as “Love on top”, “HER”, “Hero”, etc.
Check out Denise and Mazinga’s iconic performances below!
Denise’s Official Debut with Secret Number
After she was out of YG Entertainment, Denise joined the management agency VINE Entertainment and was set up to debut in a 5-member girl group called Secret Number in 2020. Reportedly, the Secret Number members are fluent in English, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, and Indonesian. No wonder, since the group itself consists of two Korean-American members (Denise and Jinny), one Indonesian member (Dita), one Korean member (Soodam), and one Japanese member (Lea).
When asked about the group’s name meaning, Secret Number members said that “Everyone has a ‘secret number’ [password/PIN code] that’s usually a birthday, anniversary, or some other special number. We want to hold that kind of special meaning to the public. Our logo is designed like a password box with five stars, representing the five of us.”
Initially, Secret Number was scheduled to debut on March 26th, 2020. However, due to the worsening situation of the spread of COVID-19, Vine Entertainment felt that the time was not right and decided to postpone it. This decision was announced on Instagram @vineent_official, in Korean, Indonesian, English, and Japanese.
As a promotion and an introduction of Secret Number members, the agency also uploaded two videos to their YouTube account as well as individual photo teasers. Both videos that were uploaded on YouTube are dance covers for the song “Kiss and Make Up” by Dua Lipa and Blackpink, as well as Jennifer Lopez’s “Medicine”.
After the delay and much anticipation from fans, the group finally debuted on May 19th, 2020, with the release of a single album titled Who Dis? The song itself was produced by American producers Melanie Fontana and Michel ‘Lindgren’ Schulz, who has worked with artists like Justin Bieber, The Chainsmokers, and BTS, and Korean producer Shark. It is an urban hip-hop dance track that will make you bop your head and move your hips amidst the gloomy year.
Check out their debut song below!