Meet the Multi-Talented Korean Actor Song Il-gook
Song Il-gook (송일국) is a South Korean actor born on October 1st, 1971. He is best known for his role as Jumong in the 2006 hit drama Jumong. Song ll-gook went to Cheongju University and majored in Performing Arts. In October 2015, Song signed an exclusive contract with the management agency C-JeS Entertainment.
Song Il-gook was born on October 1st, 1971, in Seoul, South Korea. The 44-year-old talented actor Song ll-gook has a height of 6 feet 1 inch and weight of about 80 kg. This very attractive and good looking actor follows the practices of a pescetarian diet for both health and ethical reasons.
Song is the grandson of politician Kim Du-han, great-grandson of Kim Jwa-jin, the famous anarchist and Korean independence movement general during the early 1900s. His mother, Kim Eul-dong is a politician as well as a former actress. He attended Cheongju University and later studied at Chung-Ang University to obtain his Master’s degree.
The actor got married with Busan High Court Judge Jeong Seung-yeon. On March 15th, 2008, he married Jeong Seung-yeon in a very private traditional Korean wedding in front of their close family and their friends at the Sheraton Walkerhill Hotel in Seoul, away from the media spotlight.
Song’s wife Jung Seung-yeon gave birth to triplet sons in the morning of March 16th, 2012, at the hospital in Seoul. Their sons are named Dae-han (대한), Min-guk (민국) and Man-se (만세), which also means “Long Live The Republic of Korea.” Song Il-gook with his three sons, starred in the variety show The Return of Superman from July 6th, 2014, to February 7th, 2016. The triplets also made a cameo appearance in Song Il-gook’s TV Show Jang Yeong-sil in 2016.
Song Il-gook has starred in several historical Korean dramas, such as Emperor of The Sea and Jumong. Song basically takes on physically challenging roles that require martial arts such as horsemanship, and sword-fighting. He made his acting debut in the 1998 television series Advocate.
Additionally, Song has appeared in films and TV shows including Goodbye My Love, All About Eve, Bodyguard, Emperor of the Sea, The Kingdom of The Winds, Crime Squad, Fermentation Family and A Man Called God, to name but a few. Song Il-gook made his debut on the big screen by appearing in the 2005 movie The Art of Seduction. He also acted in the Red Eye movie, later that year.
In 2014, he joined the team of The Return of Superman as a series regular. He also did the Entangled during that time. In October 2015, the South Korean star signed a contract with the management company C-JeS Entertainment. He also played Han Ji-soon in the movie Tattoo that year. In 2017, Song Il-gook appeared in an episode of the variety show Let’s Eat Dinner Together.
Multi-talented Song ll-gook is a vice-president of the Korean Triathlon Confederation. He has also participated in the 2008 Seoul International Triathlon Competition. In April 2008, he carried the Olympic torch through Seoul. Additionally, he is also a sketch artist and has even modeled for many fashion houses, brands, and companies. Song Il-gook is a talented sketch artist and his skill was captured during filming two of his films The Kingdom of the Winds and Emperor of The Sea.
In addition to acting, multi-talented Song ll-gook has also modeled professionally, both for print and on the runway. In 2008, he, along with his several colleagues Go-Soo, Jang Keun-suk, Joo Jin-mo, and Park Jae-Jung, was the subject of the Kolon Christmas Photo Shoot.
Talking about his other achievements, in April 2010, Song Il-gook was invited to the Blue House to dine with high state representatives, including the president of Kazakhstan. It was obviously a very big opportunity for the Korean actor. The reason behind the invitation was his drama Jumong that had earned huge popularity in Kazakhstan. And March 21st was declared Song Il-gook Day and he received a plaque from the governor of Hawaii, Linda Lingle.
- Art of Seduction (2005) – Seo Min-jun
- Redeye (2005) – Park Chan-sik
- Entangled (2014) – Sang-ho
- Fly High (2014) – Chang-bum
- Tattoo (2015) – Han Ji-soon
- MBC Advocate (1998)
- MBC Into the Sunlight (1999)
- KBS2 Hard Love (2002)
- KBS2 Jang Hee-bin | Royal Story (2002-2003) – Kim Choon-taek
- KBS1 Album of Life (2002-2003)
- KBS2 Bodyguard (2003)
- MBC Desert Spring (2003)
- MBC People of the Water Flower Village (2004)
- KBS Terms of Endearment (2004) – Na Jang-soo
- KBS Emperor of the Sea (2004-2005) – Yeom-moon/Yeom-jang
- MBC Prince of the Legend | Jumong (2006-2007) – Ju Mong
- MBC Lobbyist (2007) – Harry
- KBS2 The Land of the Wind (2008-2009) – King Daemushin/Mu-hyul
- MBC A Man Called God (2010)
- KBS2 Detectives in Trouble (2011) – Park Sae-hyuk
- JTBC Kimchi Family (2011-2012) – Ki Ho-tae
- KBS1 Jang Youngsil: The Greatest Scientist of Joseon (2016) – Jang Yeong-sil
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actor (Album of Life)
- 2004 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple (With Han Ga-in) (Terms of Endearment)
- 2005 KBS Drama Awards: Best Actor (Emperor of the Sea)
- 2005 KBS Drama Awards: Most popular actor (Emperor of the Sea)
- 2005 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple with Soo-Ae (Emperor of the Sea)
- 2006 MBC Drama Awards: Top Excellence Award (Prince of the Legend)
- 2006 MBC Drama Awards: Daesang Award (Prince of the Legend)
- 2006 Korean Broadcasting Producers Award: Best TV Actor of the Year (Prince of the Legend)
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Actor (The Land of the Wind)
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Choi Jung-Won for The Land of the Wind
- 2009 Asia Model Festival Awards: Asia Star Award