The Handsome K-Pop Idol and Actor Shin Won Ho
Shin Won Ho (신원호), often referred to simply as Shin, is a South Korean actor, model, idol, and singer. He has a variety of roles in Korea’s entertainment industry, but he is mostly known as a singer in the boy group CROSS GENE which debuted on June 7, 2012, under Amuse Korea. Alongside him are four other members: Takuya, Yongseok, Sangmin, and Seyoung.
Apart from being a singer, Shin is also an actor. He made his acting debut in 2011 with the TV series Bachelor’s Vegetable Store. Although he gained recognition in 2012 when he starred in the TV series BIG, he wasn’t considered a successful actor until 2016 when he was roped in for the hit South Korean TV series Legend of the Blue Sea.
CROSS GENE’s Shin Won Ho’s Full Profile
Real Name: Shin Won ho (신원호) (申園昊)
Stage Name: Shin (신) (シン)
Nickname: Presh Gene, The Prince of Advertising, Baby Face, God of Dating
Position: Official Leader, Vocalist, and Visual
Other Roles: Lyricist, Actor, MC, Radio DJ
Height: 185 cm (6 ft)
Weight: 66 kg (145 lbs) (He said he doesn’t keep track as it fluctuates a lot.)
Birthplace: Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
Birthday: October 23, 1991
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Blood Type: A
Languages: Korean and Japanese
Hobbies: Collecting large sunglasses
Shin Won Ho’s Personal Life
- His parents are both public service workers.
- Shin’s idol is his father.
- Shin always wears a necklace that was given to him by his mother.
- He is an only child.
- Shin has a pet dog named Nari. He has to hand feed her to get her to eat.
- In elementary school, he learned Taekwondo, in middle school, he used to play squash, and in high school, he learned boxing (refer to CROSS GENE’s interview for Wow! Korea).
- He attended an all-boys school. He then went to Dong-ah Institute of Media and Arts in Anseong, South Korea.
- Shin is a secretive person and has never revealed anything about his past relationships. He is single as of now.
- Shin’s childhood was packed academically. Prior to his successful audition for Amuse, Shin attended 12 cram schools a week alongside his regular schooling and other lessons and spent the majority of his day learning. During this time, he developed a love for Japanese anime and tokusatsu, which filled his little free time.
CROSS GENE’s Shin Won Ho’s Facts
- He became the leader in 2013 after Takuya decided to resign from the leader position.
- Many fans say he resembles Infinite’s L.
- Shin doesn’t like his own singing voice.
- The company nicknamed him Shin instead of Won ho (which is his real name) so it would be easier for international people to shout out his name.
- Shin may seem cold and not talkative, but he really speaks a lot.
- Shin has a fear of heights and spiders.
- Shin doesn’t actually like people staring at his or the other members’ groins and will cover them if he catches you doing it.
- Shin has an uncanny awareness of what is going on around him, so he will catch you.
- Shin is very easily moved to tears.
- Shin lives in a dorm with the other CROSS GENE members but has his own room.
- Shin spends his free time watching movies or playing the PS4.
- His favorite foods are sushi and American food.
- He collects fairly large sunglasses.
- He said that a girl who has pretty eyes when smiling is his ideal girl. In addition, he also likes women who help him choose food and don’t have an air of tension.
- Shin’s best friend is Japanese group member Terada Takuya.
- Shin has N2 level proficiency in Japanese. He will soon sit for the JLPT N1.
- Shin can speak Korean and Japanese fluently and is learning or has learned English, Mandarin, and German.
- Shin once got hypothermia while filming for the drama BIG.
- He won a Korean Hallyu Award for Best Rookie Actor for his performance on the romantic comedy series BIG.
- When he appeared on the variety dating show Dating Alone (2015), Wonho was called the God of Dating by women who watched the program. Even Yuri of Girl’s Generation was impressed by him.
- Surprisingly, Yano Shino (who is the current wife of MMA fighter Chu Sung Hoon) is the ideal woman for Won-ho. During his appearance on Dating Alone, he said that he wants to meet the Japanese model Yano Shiho at all costs. He has expressed that he likes her so much, and he walked to her neighborhood.
- During an interview for the April issue of Ceci, Won-ho said that APink’s Eunji is his ideal type of girl among all the female stars on Dating Alone.
- Shin hosts a weekly radio show in Japan every Tuesday on FM Yokohama.
- Shin’s most valued possessions are his letters from his fans. So much so that whenever CROSS GENE performed “Tegami” (“Letter”, their song for their fans), Shin ended up crying through the whole song.
- He takes a genuine interest in his fans and tries to help them. Shin has and still is memorizing the names and faces of all his fans. If you have been to more than a few events, he will eventually start greeting you by your first name. He is also known as the Shintizen as he will then track down SNS accounts and read up on his fans’ days there. There are many accounts of Shin asking fans about something that they had posted on their Twitter accounts.
- Shin’s favorite show is Kamen Rider, and he wants to be like Satoshi (Ash Ketchum), the eternal 10-year-old. He also loves One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball, and numerous other shows and manga.
CROSS GENE’s Shin Won Ho’s Filmography & CFs
|2012||Run 60 – Game Over||Park Hong-ki|
|2011||Bachelor’s Vegetable Store||Lee Chan-sol||Channel A|
|2012||Run 60||Park Hong-ki||MBS|
|2015||Shuriken Sentai Ninninger||Silver (ep.25)||TV Asahi|
|Secret Message||Choi Kang||Naver TV Cast|
|2016||Happy Marriage!?||Koide Enshio||Amazon Video|
|Legend of the Blue Sea||Tae-oh||SBS|
|2017||20th Century Boy and Girl||Sa Min-ho||MBC|
|2012||1 vs. 100||KBS2|
|Global We Got Married – Season 2||MBC|
|Pops in Seoul||Arirang|
|Let’s Go Dream Team! Season 2||KBS2|
|Music On TV||M-On TV|
|Quiz to Change the World||MBC|
|2017||Law of the Jungle in Sumatra||SBS|
|Yang Se Chan’s Best 10||JTBC|
|Boat Horn Clenched Fist||SBS|
|Weekly Idol Masked Idol segment as Face Genius||MBC Every1|
Commercial Films (CFs)
– Bean Pole CF with Big Bang’s G-Dragon
– Skin Food 15 스킨푸드
– KT Wireless Internet KT올레 와이파이 지하철편
– Dunkin Donuts
– CF Auction with f(x)’s Sulli
– Pantech Vega Iron
– Sumi Chip CF 2014 with Miss A’s Bae Suzy
– Bean Pole Bicycle Repair Shop
CROSS GENE’s Shin Won Ho’s Best Personal Quotes
- “What matters most is that you love yourself.”
- “I enjoy long romantic walks to the fridge.”
- “This person doesn’t even really know me, so why am I feeling so satisfied with a virtual date?”
- “One of my attractive points is I’m very changeable. I’m participating in various fields such as acting, singing, and more. I don’t want to miss any one of them.”
- “The most important goal is to be happy. Besides, I want many people to be happy because of me.”
- “Do not look for people who only see faces. Why look at your face? What’s important is what’s inside a person. Make your heart pretty.”
- “Because I’m not the type to think I’m good at anything, I just do my best.”