All About the 1980’s Femme Fatale of South Korea, Veteran Actress Lee Bo-hee!
This talented actress made her debut to the entertainment field in 1978, but her official debut was actually in 1979 when she entered the acting world with MBC. She became famous as a fake female college student in Lee Jang Ho’s Fool Declaration (1983) and became recognized as one of the sexiest, most famous actresses in the 1980’s with her combination of oriental beauty and contemporary sophistication. But, since the 1990’s, she has appeared more in dramas than in movies.
Lee Bo-hee is currently managed by Independent Team Entertainment a.k.a ITEM, which also manages other veteran actors and actresses such as Dok Go Young Jae, Lee Duk Hee, Lee Sang Sook, etc. Let’s find out some more interesting facts about her!
- Name: Lee Bo-hee (이보희)
- Real Name: Cho Young Sook (조영숙)
- Chinese Name: Yi Pohŭi (李甫姬)
- Other Name: Cho Jin Won (조진원)
- Occupation: Actress (1978 – present)
- Agency: ITEM – Independent Team Entertainment (아이티이엠)
- Nationality: South Korean
- Date of Birth: May 25th, 1959
- Place of Birth: Miran Village, Wando County, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Pig
- Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
- Blood Type: N/A
- Height: 162 cm
- Weight: 45 kg
- Religion: N/A
- Family: Former husband (Ham Yoon Sik), Son (Ham Won Jun), Current husband (Lee Ah Moo Gae)
- Hobby: Classical dance
- Specialty: Pansori
- Education: Janghoon Women’s Commercial High School (장훈여자상업고등학교) / Han River Women’s Commercial High School (한강여자상업고등학교)
Facts and Trivia
Lee Bo-hee is referred to as one of ‘The Troika of the 1980s’ along with Lee Mi Sook and Won Mi Kyung, all three of which dominated screens of the period. The actress also has been actively participating in some public activities besides working in the entertainment field. Though she was hailed among the most influential and talented actresses of her time, it turns out that she also had quite a complicated personal life. Read some of her facts and trivia below if you’re curious!
- She was known as a tempting, beautiful actress in the past with a small face, sexy eyes, small lips, and a well-balanced slender body. She was a heartthrob among men.
- She mostly showed her occasionally naked torso, buttocks, and back with suggestive glances at the cameras in the movie Between the Knees.
- Her movie Eoudong is one of the most famous erotic dramas in Korean cinema history, and she took home the Best Actress award at the Korean Film Awards for her role as the eponymous heroine.
- In the prime of the 1980’s, she was somewhat popular thanks to her major acting roles. However, as of the 2010’s, she is mainly a supporting actress.
- She got married to her first husband Ham Young Shik, a Korean-American, in 1988 and welcomed a baby boy as her first child. The two met at the Andre Kim Fashion Show in Los Angeles in August 1987 and began dating soon after. After marrying, she was sent to America and suddenly announced she was retiring. But later, in 1992, Lee Bo-hee returned to the acting world. It was later revealed that she divorced her husband, and people speculated it was because his business was ruined. But, the exact reason for the divorce and the time of the divorce were not confirmed.
- She remarried at the age of 44 to a doctor who was in his early 50’s. It was rumored that he is a talented man who runs a construction company along with an oriental hospital.
- She is friends with fellow actress Na Young Hee after meeting through a golf club.
- She has a fear of heights.
- She especially loves paintings.
- She maintains a ’55 size’ with a solid body shape by doing yoga three or four times a week. “When I was young, I never thought I was pretty. But now that I am older, I feel that I was really pretty when I look at the pictures of those days. Being young is such a bliss.”
- She participated and showed off the full hanbok dress in an event titled “Flavor, Taste and Sound of Korea” that was held on February 27th, 2007.
- She also participated as an ordinary public model in an event titled “Happiness Sharing Fashion & Bazaar” for Habitat for Humanity Korea that was held at Grand Ballroom, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Namsan, Seoul on June 17th, 2017. She walked the runway wearing a hanbok at designer Kim Hye Soon’s fashion show along with other celebrities such as actor Lee Soo Kook, Song Il Kook, Chishira, etc. This fashion show was designed to provide stable housing environments for single mothers and to help recovery from the earthquake damage in Nepal.