Let’s fall in love with Oh My Girl’s maknae Arin
Discussing the visuals of South Korean stars will never end. There are endless endless pretty faces in the Korean girl groups and it’s hard to choose just one. In the group Oh My Girl, we can see the visual in the form of Arin, the maknae, and vocalist of the group. Oh My Girl or OMG (오마이 걸) itself is the first girl group formed by WM Entertainment.
Now, as we are talking about the amazing OMG, let’s dive into the profile of its visual maknae, Arin. Scroll down this article below to find out everything about her!
Full Profile of Oh My Girl’s Arin
Stage Name: Arin (아린)
Birth Name: Choi Ye-won (최예원)
Date of Birth: June 18th, 1999
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Birthplace: Busan, South Korea
Height: 165 cm (5’5″)
Weight: 48 kg (106 lbs)
Blood Type: O
Position: Maknae, vocalist
Facts about Oh My Girl’s Arin
- She is from Busan, South Korea
- She has a younger brother named Seokjun
- She studied at Dongduk Middle School and Seoul School of Performing Arts (SOPA)
- She is the winner of the WM Audition in 2013
- She is the best friend of her groupmate Seunghee
- Her hobbies are watching movies while eating caramel-flavored popcorn
- She occupied the fourth position after Red Velvet’s Irene, Lovelyz’s Kei, and CLC’s Yujin as the most popular female rookie idol among men
- She is the second-tallest member in the group after Jiho
- She is a bit shy
- She is friends with WJSN’s Dayoung
- She shares a room with Seunghee
- It is said that she is in charge of the group’s aegyo drama, according to Hyojung
- She is EXID’s Hani’s favorite Oh My Girl member and Hani once asked Arin to sign her photocard on Weekly Idol
- In the program MOMO X, she said that she likes the smell of fragrances and the aroma of peaches, fruit, and flowers are her favorites
- She said that her kind smile is her strength
- She likes to go shopping or eat out at restaurants on her off days
- Pink is her favorite color
- She is very sensitive to the cold
- Her favorite Oh My Girl song is “Illusion”
- Her life’s turning point was when she debuted as a member of Oh My Girl
- Spring and autumn are her favorite seasons
- The way she relives stress is by resting on her own
- She would choose a rabbit if she were to choose an animal to represent her
- She is a big fan of Suzy and Taeyeon
- Her favorite foods are rice and chicken
- She wants to talk about “boy stuff” with her dad if she woke up as a male
- She wants to go to Saipan
- She has a bad habit of spacing out
- Her spirit animal is the rabbit
- She is sometimes called Princess Arin because of her extreme kindness and grace
- She can do an impression of her fellow groupmate Mimi
Debut as a member of OH MY GIRL
Oh My Girl or often stylized as OMG (오마이 걸) is the first girl group formed by WM Entertainment and was first publicized as the sister group of the hit boy group at that time, B1A4. The group was introduced on March 29th, 2015, through a teaser image and of course, the chosen concept. After introducing the 8 members: Hyojung, Jine (who later left the group), Mimi, Yooa, Seunghee, Jiho, Binnie, and Arin, and releasing a teaser video for their debut song, they finally and officially debuted on April 20th, 2015, with the song “Cupid” from their first mini-album Oh My Girl 1st Mini Album along with other four songs.
In the group, Arin filled the position of maknae and main vocal.
In the pool of K-pop girl groups, Oh My Girl stood fresh with a new take on mystical electronic music and distinctive personalities. Even though the group didn’t hit mainstream success right away upon their debut, Oh My Girl’s music is still recognized as one of the ‘hidden gems’ from back then.
The music video has a total of +6 million views. Even now, after their singles have become mainstream hits in 2020, many new fans are coming to their debut video and praise the group. Many even analyzed the situation of Oh My Girl who just hit their mainstream success, five years after debut.
“It’s been a group that has been affectionate since before debut, but when I look back now, it feels very sad. There must have been hard times and I must have had a lot of hard work, but I am so grateful for continuing to be active until now. Let’s be happy in the future,” said one user.
“This is the reason why Oh My Girl couldn’t come up during the girl group turmoil in ’15. Since girl groups can’t create core fans compared to boy groups, how many fans they attract in the beginning plays a decisive role in the group’s lifespan. Post-competitors started with a concept pillar of a girl and girl. Lovelyz debuted at the end of 2014. They created a fandom with a fairly high ranking and hit the Achuro chart the following year. From time to time, we ran the jackpot for 3 consecutive times. At this time, Apink also came out to the regular album. Kara also made a comeback after Cupid’s activities, but the name of the comeback song is the same. Conflicting Twice debuts After this period, TWICE absorbs most of the male fans who enter the girl group version after “Cheer Up”. Oh My Girl, in 2015, I remember, only had articles from the B1A4 sister group,” commented one user.
“I’m listening to Oh My Girl’s debut song CUPID in 2020. Looking back now, all the members are fresh and pretty. Oh My Girl’s Cupid is awesome whenever I listen to it ❤❤❤❤,” added another user.
They first appeared on the stage of SBS’ The Show to promote their debut song on April 21st, 2020.
Active in OH MY GIRL’s subunit
Aside from being active in the main group Oh My Girl, Arin was also part of Oh My Girl’s first subunit, OH MY GIRL BANHANA (오마이걸 반하나), along with two other members, Binnie and Hyojung. The trio debuted on April 2nd, 2018, with the special album Banana Allergy Monkey and the title track of the same name.
The music video’s concept was cute and powerful, with the group dressing as adventurers. Sadly, the music video backfired and got a negative response. The track was accused of being insensitive toward allergy sufferers. The song was said to be ironic because it promotes the theme of a monkey that’s allergic to bananas. The lyrics then became the source of criticism because they suggest an insensitive theme and content mimicking allergy sufferers.
WM Entertainment released a response on April 6th, 2018, saying “The lyrics are being interpreted differently than intended by the creator, and we’re responding to concerns related to sufferers of allergies.”
They went on to explain, “This new song has a positive message and story of happiness about overcoming through hope despite being different or lacking something. The producer who worked on the lyrics and composed the track suffers from an apple allergy.”
After their debut, it was reported that the group signed a contract with Ariola Japan, a Sony Music Japan label, to release the Japanese version of the Banana Allergy Monkey EP.