Full profile of Ren
- Birth Name: Choi Min Ki
- Stage Name: Ren
- Origin: Busan, South Korea
- Nationality: Korean
- Date of Birth: November 3rd, 1995
- Age: 25 years old
- Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
- Position: Vocalist, Face of Group, and Maknae
- Height: 178 cm (5’10”)
- Weight: 56 kg (123 lbs)
- Blood Type: O
- Specialty: creating performance ideas and cosplaying
- Hobbies: watching movies, listening to music, and swimming
- Personality: an unpredictable cute guy with metrosexual charm
- Twitter: @ChoiGoRen
- Instagram: @glorypath
Interesting facts about Ren
- Ren is from Busan, South Korea.
- He has an older brother.
- He was the second male trainee of Pledis Entertainment after JR.
- He appeared in a commercial for New Balance with After School’s Lizzy and also along with other Nu’est members: JR, Minhyun, and Aron.
- In the 400th episode of Music Core, the celebration in March 2014, he performed Girls Day’s “Something” along with BTOB’s Minhyuk, A-Jax’s Seungjin, and VIXX’s Hongbin.
- He was a backup dancer in After School Blue’s MV for “Wonder Boy.”
- He was a contestant in Produce 101 (ranked 20th).
- He has been named the male version of So Young from After School because both of them are the cute charms in their group.
- He once was transformed into a female model for a Chinese Shopping Mall advertisement in 2016.
- He attempted to raise a pet, but all of his pets have died. He has had a hermit crab, a turtle, a rabbit, and a fish.
- He hides snacks in his bed so that if he wakes up hungry he can eat without walking all the way to the kitchen.
- He is good at doing nails and makeup.
- Aron called him ‘Princess’ as his nickname.
- He is the mood maker in the group.
- His role models are Michael Jackson and TVXQ and he is a big fan of Lady Gaga.
- He takes the longest to get ready and always hogs the one bathroom in the NU’EST dorm.
- He likes to dance and play around the dorm and annoy JR while he’s playing games.
- His Spoonz character is Cindy.
- His representative animal is a rabbit.
- His fans are called Tokkidans.
Nu’est group facts
- Minhyun and Ren gained attention modeling for designer Park Yoon-so’s F/W 2012–13 Seoul Fashion Week show, titled ‘Big Park’ before their official debut.
- Baekho and Ren made acting appearances in the drama Jeon Woo-chi alongside labelmate UEE in January 2013.
- On April 2nd, 2015, Minhyun collaborated with Korean indie artist Fromm on the single “The Aftermath.”
- Among all Seventeen members, Nu’est is closest to Woozi because they knew each other since they were trainees.
- Aron learned how to speak Korean from other Nu’est members. He didn’t know how to speak Korean when he first arrived in South Korea.
- When other members joined the MNET Producer 101 Season 2, Aron took his time to go back to America.
- In the final episode of Producer 101 Season 2, Minhyun revealed that he was really sad because he was the only one to become a Wanna One member.
- During Producer 101 Season 2, Yoo Seon Ho who was a CUBE trainee revealed that he is closest to Minhyun. Minhyun even promised him that he will treat Yoo Seon Ho meat if he has time to meet.
- In an episode of Happy Together, when Wanna One members were guests, Minhyun who at the time was a Wanna One member, told stories about his debut and his hard time during promotions.
- In a special episode of Pledis Family on Weekly Idol, JR cooked a lot of noodles at once to satisfy everyone’s hunger.
- Even though Minhyun was at the time busy promoting with Wanna One as a vocalist, he made an appearance in the encore stage of Nu’est W’s fan meeting.
- During Nu’est W’s fan meeting, there was a VCR on at the office which showed that the members were currently in a meeting. They stated that Minhyun was currently on vacation.
- Even though Baekho wrote a lot of songs, there were only several songs that were accepted to be inserted into the album.
- Nu’est’s fans, L.O.Λ.E (Read as LOVE), gained public attention after their supportive attitude toward Nu’est.
- Ren, Minhyun, and JR made their film debut in Japan with the movie titled Their Distance that was released on January 6th, 2016. In that movie, Ren played the main character along with Japanese actresses Hanae Kan and Fumiko Aoyagi.
- Nu’est’s Japan movie Their Distance hit Korean CGV theaters on September 14th, 2017.
- In the Nu’est “Sleep Talking” dance version video, all the members wore animal pajamas while dancing to their song.
- Baekho and JR attended the same school in the past.
- To prepare a surprise birthday party for Baekho, JR and Ren once forged a fight on the phone.
- When four members of Nu’est appeared in the first episode of Produce 101 Season 2, Kahi got teared up when he met them because they were trainees together in the past.
- In an interview, Nu’est members openly talked about their participation in Produce 101 Season 2. They said that it would be their last chance because many people would consider them a failure as a boy band and disband in the end.
- They decided to join Produce 101 Season 2 after two members of I.O.I, Lim Na young and Zhou Jieqiong became popular after their appearance in Produce 101 Season 1. Na young and Jieqiong later debuted as members of PRISTIN.
- JR and Ren appeared as a guest in Wanna One Go along with Yoo Seon Hoo from CUBE Entertainment and Jung Se Won from STARSHIP Entertainment. They visited Minhyun and Kim Jaehwan of Wanna One, who were at the time staying at the dorm.
- Nu’est’s fans, L.O.Λ.E, noticed how the Pledis CEO changed his attitude toward them. In the Weekly Idol Pledis Family Special, Nu’est also revealed to the MCs, Doni and Cony, that their CEO treated them better now even though they can’t clearly explain it.
Who is the Nu’est leader and why was he chosen as a leader?
JR is the leader of Nu’est. He revealed the reason why he was chosen to be the leader of Nu’est. JR stated that he felt he had experience in promoting. He also felt that the thing that kept him the most was the stage and it wasn’t something he could achieve alone without the other members. They said JR was a good leader.
Nu’est members age order: from the oldest to the youngest
Usually, in a Korean idol group, each member has a different age, but not in NU’EST. Four of the members were born in the same year, 1995. They are JR, Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren. Meanwhile, Aron is the oldest. So, this group has four maknae. However, when viewed from the order of the month of birth, Ren is often considered the youngest member. Here is the list:
- The oldest one, Aron was born in 1993.
- The other four members were born in the same year, 1995. But the second oldest member is JR who was born in June 1995.
- The third oldest is Baekho who was born in July 1995.
- Next, namely, Minhyun was born in August 1995.
- And the last one, the maknae is Ren who was born in November 1995.
The ideal type of girl of Nu’est members
Everyone must have their own preferences and types of girls he likes. Likewise with Nu’est members; here are the ideal girl types for each member.
- Aron likes a girl who has a bright and pure smile.
- JR’s ideal type is a girl who is strong on the outside but tender on the inside. He also likes someone who is able to take care of him well.
- Next, Baekho likes a girl who cooks well and has a lot of aegyo.
- Minhyun‘s ideal type is a girl who cooks well and has an interest in fashion.
- And Ren likes girls who lie down looking at the blue sky above the green fields.
Nu’est disbandment information: when and why did they disband?
Most people think that Nu’est disbanded due to the lack of popularity since their debut. So four of the members: Baekho, JR, Ren, and Minhyun joined Produce 101 Season 2 during the first half of the year using their real names.
Minhyun is the only one who was selected from Nu’est to become a member of Wanna One, a boy group that was created after the show ended. This gave off the impression that Nu’est are going to disband. While waiting for Minhyun to finish his promotion with Wanna One, Nu’est created a subgroup called Nu’est W, which consisted of the four remaining members: Aron, JR, Baekho, and Ren. W stands for waiting.
With Minhyun’s contract as a member of Wanna One up in January 2019, JR confirmed that Nu’est W is ‘officially over’. During their final unit concert at Jamsil Indoor Stadium in Seoul, JR reportedly told the crowd: “We will become the Nu’est that will continue to progress slowly, little by little, in the future.”
Starting from their debut in 2012 until now, in 2020, Nu’est have released several albums and singles that have successfully charted on both Korean and Japanese charts and sold thousands and even hundreds of thousands of copies. Nu’est have also provided soundtracks for several K-Dramas and of course, appeared in the Music Videos for their album songs. The following is a list of Nu’est’s discography while working in the Korean industry.
|Studio Album||Re: Birth||Released in South Korea on July 9th, 2014|
|Bridge the World
|Released in Japan on November 8th, 2015
Released in Japan in October 2020
- NU’EST Best In Korea Released in Japan in July 2014
|Extended Plays||Action||Released in South Korea on July 11th, 2012|
|Hello||Released in South Korea on February 13th, 2013|
|Sleep Talking||Released in South Korea on August 22nd, 2013|
|Q is||Released in South Korea on February 17th, 2016|
Happily Ever After
|Released in South Korea on August 29th, 2016
Released in South Korea on April 29th, 2019
Released in South Korea on October 21st, 2019
Released in South Korea on May 11th, 2020
As Lead Artist
Title Year Album
- “Face” Released 2012 Non-album single
- “Action” Action
- “Hello” Released 2013 Hello
- “Sleep Talking” Sleep Talking
- “Good Bye Bye” Released 2014 Re: Birth
- “Shalala Ring” Bridge the World
- “I’m Bad” Released 2015 Non-album single
- “Nanananamida” Bridge the World
- “Bridge the World”
- “Overcome” Released 2016 Q Is
- “Love Paint (Every Afternoon)” Canvas
(Sung by Minhyun and JR)
- “A Song for You” Released 2019 Non-album single
- “Bet Bet” Happily Ever After
- “Love Me” The Table
- “I’m in Trouble” Released 2020 The Nocturne
As A Collaborating Artist
Title Year Album
- “Dashing Through the Snow in High Heels”
(Orange Caramel and NU’EST) 2012 Non-album singles
- “I Don’t Care”
(Spoonz and NU’EST W) 2018
- “Let’s Love”
(Spoonz and NU’EST) 2020
- “Best Summer”
(Spoonz and NU’EST)
Title Year Album
- “Let Me Out” 2017 A Korean Odyssey OST Part.1
- “And I” 2018 Mr. Sunshine OST Part.10
Other Charting Songs
Title Year Album
- “Segno” 2019 Happily Ever After
- “Talk About Love”
- “Call Me Back” The Table
- “One Two Three”
- “Trust Me”
- “Stay Up All Night”
- “If We”
- “Moon Dance” 2020 The Nocturne
Title Year Director
- “Face” 2012 Kim Hye-jeong
- “Not Over You” Unknown
- “Hello” 2013 Kim Hye-jeong
- “Sleep Talking” Hong Won-ki
- “Fine Girl” Unknown
- “Good Bye Bye” 2014 Hong Won-ki
- “I’m Bad” 2015 Kim Jong-seong
- “Overcome” 2016 Yoo Sung-kyun
- “Love Paint (Every Afternoon)”
- “Daybreak” L5M (Kim Yoon)
- “Where You At” 2017 Kim Zi-yong
- “Dejavu” 2018 Dee Shin
- “I Don’t Care” Illumin
- “Help Me” Vikings League
- “Universe” 2019 Shin Dong-geul
- “Bet Bet” Vikings League
- “Love Me” Unknown
- “Let’s Love” 2020 Vikings League
- “I’m in Trouble” Unknown
- “Best Summer” Unknown
- “Shalala Ring” 2014 Nanae Takanashi
- “Na.Na.Na.Namida” 2015 Hiroki Kashiwa
- “Access to You” Takashi Yamaguchi
- “Cherry” Rikiya Imaizumi
NU’EST members popularity ranking
After joining the MNET show Produce 101 Season 2, Nu’est’s name skyrocketed and even Minhyun got the chance to promote with Wanna One. There are different rankings between after debut and after joining the show.
Before their appearance in MNET’s Produce 101 Season 2
Ren was popular and gaining public attention with his looks, which are more beautiful than a girl’s. He also gained popularity among international fans due to his long hair. Aron was also popular among international fans since he is able to speak English. According to their SNS followers the order of popularity was Ren > Aron > Baekho > JR > Minhyun.
After their appearance in MNET’s Produce 101 Season 2
When four members of Nu’est joined the show, JR started gaining public attention for his hard work and rap; Minhyun was charming in both vocals and visuals; Baekho, who was using his real name Kang Dong Ho, was demonstrating strong vocals; and Ren was attracting public attention with his charm even though his hair wasn’t long like before. According to their SNS followers, the new order of popularity is now JR > Minhyun > Baekho > Ren > Aron. Fans were worried about Aron’s popularity who didn’t join the show. Let’s hope the group and each member’s popularity will increase over time.
After reading this article about Nu’est, have you become more interested in them? Are you curious about what they have been up to lately? Are interested to know when will they make a comeback, and other updates? Do you want to know more about K-Pop? If so, don’t worry! Channel-Korea provides the hottest and most recent pieces of news ranging from news about K-Pop, K-Drama, to everything related to the Korean entertainment industry. Everything you are looking for and is definitely here. So, don’t forget to regularly tune on the Channel-Korea website to check out the latest news and updates!