Get To Know 1/2 of Mighty Mouth’s Rappers, Sangchu!
The K-pop industry is not only exclusive to boy groups/girl groups with dancing and singing skills but is also a home for many rappers and beatboxers. Rappers and beatboxers are almost never separated from the growth of the K-pop industry. Many artists actually choose rap and hip hop as their music styles. One of the rapper boy groups that has long held a position in the K-pop world is a rapper duo called Mighty Mouth.
Mighty Mouth is a two-member group where both members are rappers and singers who have no doubt about their abilities. The group is formed by rappers Sangchu and Shorry J. They made their debut under YMC Entertainment on March 3, 2008, with a single called “I Love You.” Later, in 2016, they formed their own label called Almighty Records.
When talking about Mighty Mouth, we have to talk about one of the two founders, Sangchu, who was known to have killer “honey abs” on top of his rapping skills and charming looks. Are you curious to know more about him? Scroll down this article to find all the details!
Full Profile of Mighty Mouth’s Sangchu
Stage Name: Sangchu (상추)
Birth Name: Lee Sang-chul (이상철)
Birthday: January 13, 1982
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Height: 181 cm (5’11”)
Weight: 80 kg (176 lbs)
Blood Type: AB
Facts about Mighty Mouth’s Sangchu
- He has a unique nickname called 237
- He made a cameo appearance as the student “muscular boy” in the 2012 SBS drama To the Beautiful You during which Sulli is in the bathroom as a girl disguised as a boy
- He enlisted for military service on October 30, 2012, and became a soldier in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggido, along with Super Junior’s Leeteuk
- On June 22, 2013, he and singer Se7en were caught visiting a massage parlor where it turned out that there was a prostitution room in the parlor room
- For the parlor controversy, he and Se7en were sentenced to ten days in military prison for breaking the curfew
- He was discharged from military service on August 8, 2014
- He was known for his “honey abs”
- When preparing for Mighty Mouth’s “La La La” promotion in 2011, he lost ten kilograms in ten days
- His diet consisted of eating dried squash and sweet potatoes instead of rice as well as running at the Han River waterfront
- In 2012, when he was a guest on MBC’s Radio Star, Defconn said that he went to one of his concerts with a female celebrity who is older than Solbi and who is an actress, in which Sangchu truthfully admitted, “I loved her. We dated for two years.”
Mighty Mouth’s Sangchu Debut Era
Long before opening their own label, Allmighty Records, the duo made their debut first under YMC Entertainment on March 3, 2008, with a single called “I Love You” which also features the voice of actress/singer Yoon Eun-hye.
The song received quite a good response for its catchy lyrics and cute beat.
Although originally sang by Yoon Eun-hye, the group always performed their song with other singers on stage such as JJ, JOO, and Sol-bi.
Check out their performances below!
Mighty Mouth’s Sangchu’s Solo Activity
On top of being active in Mighty Mouth, each member also has a diverse range of solo activities from solo songs to TV dramas.
In Sangchu’s case, he first made his acting debut as a cameo as the student “muscular boy” in the 2012 SBS drama To the Beautiful You during which Sulli is in the bathroom as a girl disguised as a boy. The popular drama was produced by SM Entertainment’s video division, SM Culture and Contents, and based on the popular manga Hana Kimi. In that episode, it appears that Sulli accidentally pulls down the pants of the student character played by Sangchu. No doubt, the girl who is posing as a male student gets into trouble.
This scene is quite funny and received a good response from the viewers.
Meanwhile, after Sangchu was discharged from military service on August 8, 2014, he and Shorry J opened their own agency called Almighty Records in 2016. After more than three years since Mighty Mouth’s comeback as a full group, Sangchu then decided to directly release a solo work apart from Might Mouth.
On July 21, 2016, it was revealed that Sangchu would be releasing a solo album on July 26, 2016. Sangchu said, “While doing Mighty Mouth, there has been a lot that I haven’t been able to show musically, and I really wanted to be able to show the music I like the best. Shorry J is currently busy filming his drama, so if I don’t take this chance to do my solo album now, I thought I may never have the chance.”
He released a solo track titled “It’s Hot” featuring Don Mills and eSNa. The song received quite a good response from netizens who praised it with comments like:
” Yo this needs more recognition,”
“The beat straight fire”
” Omg this was soooo good,”
” This song is so catchy! I wanna learn the dance haha,”
” I love this so much but……THE QUALITY!!!!!!!!”
What do you think about his song?
Mighty Mouth – Woo
On September 1, 2020, after their last 2019 release “Love Issue,” the duo finally released their first single in 2020.
For the MV, they featured the model and YouTuber Choi Eun-kyung. And, the MV received quite a good response as netizens commented that the song brought up good vibes.
Choi Eun-kyung even left a funny comment that got pinned in the YouTube comment section. “I’m sorry for the Mighty Mouse, but I only see women…ㅠㅠ,” she said.
If you’ve been waiting for the duo’s comeback, check out the MV below!
So, those are all the things that you need to know regarding rapper Sangchu who is also a part of the duo Mighty Mouth and is a founder of Allmighty Records. What do you think about him? Drop your thoughts in the comment section below!