Meet Luminous, a K-Pop Group That Changed the Agency Before Its Debut
Being a K-pop idol often requires going through several months or even years of being a trainee before debuting. They usually train in an agency or entertainment company before forming an official debut line and training for a debut. But, in the K-pop industry, not everything is certain. Some groups can go through more than others, and one of the added steps can be a shift of agency.
Luminous, the group that formed and was planned to debut under DS Entertainment, went through a shift of agency and finally debuted under Barunson WIP, an agency run by a vocal coach who formerly taught K-pop stars like BTS, TWICE, and Kang Daniel.
Though they went through an agency shift, it didn’t hinder them from joining the competition of the K-pop industry. Let’s get to know the four members of Luminous, Youngbin, Suil, Steven, and Woobin.
Luminous’ Youngbin’s Profile
Name: Jung Young Bin
Stage Name: Youngbin
Position: Leader: Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer
Birthday: October 5th, 1998
Luminous’ Youngbin’s Facts
- Youngbin trained for two years and six months.
- Youngbin used to be a Cube trainee.
- Youngbin is from Seungju County in the North Gyeongsang province.
- He has a nickname that is Tubeu.
- Youngbin’s favorite food is grilled fish.
- He has a lot of hobbies including watching videos on Youtube, playing games, walking, and doing voice imitations.
- Youngbin was a Produce X 101 contestant but was eliminated in episode five.
Luminous’ Suil’s Profile
Name: Ma Su Il
Stage Name: Suil
Position: Main Dancer, Rapper, Sub Vocalist
Birthday: March 20th, 1999
Luminous’ Suil’s Facts
- Suil’s nickname is Ma Dobby.
- Suil is from Gwanggu City in Jeollanam province.
- He loves food, and his hobby is doing food tours and visiting cafes.
- Suil hates shiitake mushrooms and eating apples.
Luminous’ Steven’s Profile
Name: Steven Kim
Stage Name: Steven
Position: Rapper, Sub Vocalist
Birthday: January 17th, 2000
Luminous’ Steven’s Facts
- Steven is from Sydney, Australia.
- He trained with DS Entertainment for two years and eight months.
- He is also a former JYP trainee and was once a trainee with Stray Kids before joining DS Entertainment.
- Steven’s nickname is Dolmaengi and means “boulder.”
- Steven was a contestant of Produce X 101 together with Youngbin and was eliminated in episode five.
- He has unique hobbies like woodworking, acting like a zombie, and whistling.
- Steven hates mosquitos and food waste.
Luminous’ Woobin’s Profile
Name: Jeong Woobin
Stage Name: Woobin
Position: Main Vocalist, Maknae
Birthday: April 1st, 2000
Luminous’ Woobin’s Facts
- Woobin is from Busan.
- He has a nickname that is Retriever.
- Woobin is the best cook in the group because he likes cooking. He also likes to wander around and read webtoons.
- He hates hot weather, diets, and Sunday schedules.
Introduced to the public in 2019, Suil was the first member to be introduced as a Luminous member on July 22nd, 2019. The second one was Woobin who is the maknae and main vocalist of the group who was introduced to the public on July 29th, 2019. Then, on August 5th, 2019, it was Steven’s time to be introduced to the public, and the last one was the leader, Youngbin, who was introduced on August 20th, 2019.
Luminous is the group that has its own fictional universe. All the members symbolize different elements. Youngbin represents light, Suil is thunder, Steven is fire, and Woobin is moonlight. The group actually planned to debut in 2019 but canceled until they moved to another agency.
On September 9th, 2021, Luminous made their official debut after a delay because Youngbin was confirmed positive for COVID-19. They made their debut with their first mini album Youth. Prior to their debut, they released the pre-debut EP titled Luminous Dreaming which has five tracks on it. The first track is the title track with the same title as the title album, and the rest are tracks composed by each member. There is Youngbin with his “Star,” Suil with his “ROD (Ride or Die),” “Up All Night” by Steven, and “Orbit” by Woobin.
Their debut title track is “Run,” but, sadly, due to Youngbin still healing from COVID-19, the group decided to not hold a showcase. But, they held another event to showcase Luminous’ music performance to the public so fans would not miss their debut!
Up to now, Luminous is an active K-pop group. Debuting on September 9th, 2021, Luminous now has two mini-albums and one pre-debut EP. Their first mini album Youth released on September 9th, 2019. Then, on January 20th, 2022, the group released another mini album titled Between Light and Darkness (Self n Ego).
Watch the Awesome Performances of Luminous
Having danced to “Run” for three hours nonstop, “Run” became one of the memorable performances for Luminous. Plus, it’s their debut title track. Luminous made sure that the performances would make people be amazed by them so it would be a miss to not watch “Run” that they performed on music shows. Check out Luminous’ debut with “Run” and their harmonious dance.
And, after making its debut in September 2021, it didn’t take long for Luminous to come back. They came back with the mini album Between Light and Darkness (Self n Ego) with “All Eyes Down” as the title track.
Going thin and thick in the K-pop industry and the shift of agency that didn’t break Luminous down makes them a group that is worth being your stan. So, who’s your bias in Luminous? Check out Luminous’ member profiles on Channel Korea, and don’t forget to share on Twitter!