PD Na and His Unsubscribe Campaign
On November 19th, 2019, the channel’s number of subscribers surpassed 1 million. The production crew could hardly force a smile when they confirmed this unimaginable figure. On November 20th, Na Young Suk hosted a live broadcast on his YouTube channel titled “An Emergency Live Show That’s a 1 Million Subscribers Celebration Party and Also an Unsubscribe Campaign.” He launched a campaign, “If you love me, please unsubscribe.” In that broadcast, he opened up, “I didn’t expect things to go this way,” and blew out the candles on the cake celebrating the YouTube channel’s one-million-subscriber achievement. PD Na also earnestly asked the viewers, “I came up with all the ways, from making graphic design of the moon, doing live stream when watching the moon on mountain, going to the moon coffee shop, or going somewhere named ‘the moon,’ but I ended up being able to do nothing. The only way is to plead everyone to click unsubscribe.”
As stated before, Na Young Suk made a promise to do so in September on YouTube, saying: “The pair (singer Eun Ji-won and comedian Lee Soo-geun) will head for the moon if our YouTube channel hits more than a million subscribers.” The problem is the exorbitant cost. PD Na said the fare for the round trip would be 400 billion won ($340 million US) per person. This would make his pledge very difficult to live up to.
Na Young Suk then promised that if people unsubscribe, he will continue to work hard on the show. “I beg of you,” he said. “Show your love by unsubscribing.”
Lastly, he said, “If the 1 million subscribers cancel their subscriptions, then I’ll do something else. If you tell us to do a plunge in the Antarctic, that would be easier than the moon. Eun Ji Won, P.O, Kyuhyun, Song Mino, and Lee Soo Geun already unsubscribed. I hope that you will all show your love by unsubscribing. Pengsoo is popular lately. Please subscribe to Pengsoo instead.”
The Crew’s and Members’ reactions:
Lee Soo-geun and Eun Ji-won’s Unforgettable Journey To Iceland
Eun Ji Won and Lee Soo Geun won a trip to see the Northern Lights in Iceland during a random prize draw on New Journey to the West 6. The pair will be flying to Iceland around September. They stated, “Lee Soo Geun and Eun Ji Won will be flying out on September 1st and staying in Iceland for four days. We are currently in discussions for when to broadcast their trip, and we will release an official announcement once filming ends and details are finalized. We will make sure to stay safe during the trip.”
Check out the video playlist below:
Here are some random facts about Na Young Suk:
- Na Young Suk is best known for producing the popular variety-reality shows 1 Night 2 Days, Grandpas Over Flowers, Three Meals a Day and their spin-offs.
- He majored in Public Administration at Yonsei University.
- He joined KBS in 2001 and began his career as an assistant director in the network’s variety department, then was promoted to producer/director.
- PD Na made his breakthrough in 2007 with 1 Night 2 Days, which introduced the road trip format to Korean reality programming, as a regular cast of comedians, singers and actors visit various towns across Korea and spend the eponymous one night and two days there.
- According to the financial report announced by CJ ENM on April 1st, the total salary of PD Na Young Suk in 2018 was more than 3.7 billion won including the average salary of 215 million won and a bonus of 3.51 billion won.
PD Na Young Suk has been working on a new tvN variety show. tvN’s upcoming show Friday Night (literal title) is an omnibus-style program with six short-form segments that focus on different themes like sports, science, art, travel, cooking, and factories. Each segment will feature different cast members, including Lee Seung Gi, WINNER’s Song Mino, Lee Seo Jin, Jang Do Yeon, SECHSKIES’s Eun Ji Won, announcer Park Ji Yoon, soccer commentator Han Joon Hee, and professors Kim Sang Wook and Yang Jung Moo.
Lee Seung Gi and Lee Seo Jin announced that the show premieres on January 10th at 9:10 p.m. KST.
Check out the full trailer of Friday Night: