Meet Big Bang’s Maknae Seungri
Lee Seung-hyun or, as better known by his stage names, Seungri and V.I, is a South Korean singer, songwriter, record producer, actor and entrepreneur. He is a member of the popular and successful Korean boy-group, Big Bang. They are often cited as one of the most influential acts to shape the K-pop industry by helping spread the Korean Wave internationally, and has been dubbed as the “Kings of K-pop” by the media.
Seungri being the maknae (the youngest) in the group, has left by his group mates to do their mandatory military service. G-Dragon, T.O.P., Taeyang, and Daesung have all gone to serve their country, leaving him behind to hold up Big Bang’s name in the industry.
In this article, Channel Korea will summarize all the recent news involving Seungri, but first, let get to know Seungri a bit better!
Little Facts about Big Bang’s Seungri
- He studied at Chung-Ang University with Girl’s Generation’s Yuri and Sooyoung. (He ended up dropping out, due to Big Bang’s busy schedule).
- He’s known for his blunt attitude and his over-confidence.
- Initially, G-Dragon was upset that Big Bang ended up having 5 members and he totally ignored Seungri for three months. XD (Happy Together – BIG BANG Special)
- Seungri said that there were many times in the past that he’s “stolen” G-Dragon’s credit card when it was time to pay when he was out for the night with others – which made people feel less guilty about letting Seungri pay the whole bill. (Big Bang’s 2016 visit to Radio Star)
- When a fan asked Seungri to rank the members based on looks he said ranked himself 3rd, so he’s not ugly nor handsome. (Ask In A Box)
- He has choreographed a large portion of BIG BANG‘s dances.
- He has his own dance academy, named “Seungri’s Academy”.
- Seungri has his own ramen store.
- A lot of well-known debuted idols have attended Seungri’s dance academy, including Topp Dogg’s Jun Hojoon and Kim Sangkyoon, BTS’s J-HOPE, WINNER’s Jinwoo, VIXX’s Hyuk, KARA’s Goo Hara, B.A.P’s Zelo, EXID’s Seo Hyerin, C-Clown’s Kang Jun, Ladies Code’s Zuny, Laboum’s Soyeon, Lovelyz’s Mijoo, and Nine Muses’s Pyo Hyemi.
– Seungri is the CEO of YGX (a subsidiary company of YG Ent). (Idol Room ep. from vLive)
- His solo debut was a great success. The album was promoted with two singles: “Sunset Glow” and “Strong Baby,” a solo release by Seungri. In order to shed the “youngest member” image from Big Bang, he promoted the single with a more mature look, complete with a stylized dance. He won his first triple crown for “Strong Baby” on SBS’s live music show Inkigayo.
“The Great Seungri” Had a Solo Comeback!
The title track “1, 2, 3 (셋 셀테니)” was co-composed and co-written by the BIG BANG member himself. Apart from that, he also took part in writing the lyrics for all 9 songs, and the music composition for 8 of the songs on the album. The stellar album also features WINNER’s Mino, iKON’s B.I, singer Blue.D, and DJ DANNIC.
In an interview with the media outlet Osen, Seungri revealed that the music video was inspired by two of John Travolta’s works – “Grease” and “Saturday Night Fever”. Watching the music video, it isn’t hard to spot the obvious connection. The 5-minute video, which was directed by Min Hansa, was also filmed using the one-shot technique.
Here the music video for the song!
If the female lead looked familiar, it’s because she’s Anda – a Korean singer who made her debut in 2012. When the teaser video dropped on Wednesday (18th July), fans weren’t too sure if it was her, as she only appeared for a very short while. However, as she plays a more prominent role in the music video, it wasn’t difficult to confirm that it was her.
In his comeback countdown on V Live, the BIG BANG member dropped an unexpected fun fact. He told fans that the title track of “The Great Seungri” was, in fact, meant for BLACKPINK! Rose had already recorded the song, but the production team thought it would sound better if a guy sang it. “It’s a very heavy song, but we added a bit of twist to make it more vibrant. It became the title track,” Seungri revealed.
Seungri in Netflix’s YG Future Strategy Office
Netflix has released the trailer for their latest Korean show, this time set in the offices of YG Entertainment!
The mockumentary sitcom follows BIG BANG’s maknae Seungri, as he tries to lead a team of bumbling staff at YG’s Future Strategy Office. Starring Seungri as the head of YG Entertainment’s fictional strategic resources department, with Yoo Byung-jae, Baek Young-kwang, Kim Ga-eun, Son Se-bin and Sechs Kies’ Lee Jai-jin starring as his co-workers.
The story is about how, to deal with its troublemaking artists and misfits, YG Entertainment forms a new department called the future strategy office, with Seungri as the head of the department. The show follows him and his co-workers struggles to regain the company’s reputation in the midst of a crisis.
With cameos from YG artists like iKON, BLACKPINK and YG himself, this is set to be something truly hilarious – and considering Seungri is involved – definitely ridiculous.
Seungri went to the press conference for the show in Seoul, in an outfit matching his role: a clean-cut black suit and glasses.
“It’s going to be a coming-of-age story about a man who gets to climb (the ladder) from the very bottom. While it features many K-pop stars and is ostensibly a comical sitcom, the show has a touching story that many people will be able to relate to.”
Another highlight of the show is its dramatic and down-to-earth revelations about the company and even about Seungri.
Seungri is Dating a Rookie Actress?
Big Bang’s Seungri has been swept up in dating rumors with actress Yu Hye-won!
According to Taiwanese media outlet ET Today , Big Bang’s Seungri is dating a rookie actress named Yoo Hye Won. The news outlet has reported that the two have been dating for about a year.
They further reported that the two stars were spotted sharing ‘lovestagram’ posts, as many of their Instagram posts contained allegedly similar locations or items. Furthermore, a video of Seungri leaving the YG Entertainment building has been spreading online via Weibo. C-netizens claimed that the woman Seungri is with is actress Yoo Hye Won.
On October 19, it was reported that Seungri was in a relationship with the model and rookie actress.
Yoo Hye-won’s agency, SBD Entertainment, responded to the reports by stating, “We are currently in the middle of checking to see if Yoo Hye-won and Seungri’s dating rumors are true.”
YG Entertainment has yet to comment on the rumors.