Get To Know Kwon Hyun-bin aka VIINI—A JBJ Member And A Solo Artist
Kwon Hyun-bin or currently known by his stage name VIINI is a South Korean singer. He is also a songwriter, model, and actor. He began his modeling career in 2015 under YG K Plus (affiliated with YG Entertainment). He then joined the Mnet survival show Produce 101 (Season 2) but couldn’t make it to the debut line. He became a member of JBJ (Just Be Joyful) and debuted on October 18th, 2017. On August 19th, 2019, Hyun-bin (under the stage name VIINI) debuted with his self-composed lead single “Genie.”
In this article, Channel-Korea will introduce you to everything you need to know about Kwon Hyun-bin. Check it out!
Full Profile of Kwon Hyun-bin
- Stage Name: VIINI (비니)
- Full Name: Kwon Hyun-bin (권현빈)
- Nicknames: Macaron, Kkomu, Enabi, Mitto, Bukkkeungnyou (arctic fox)
- Date of Birth: March 4th, 1997
- Birthplace: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Religion: Protestantism
- Nationality: Korean
- Star Sign: Pisces
- Blood Type: B
- Height: 187 cm (6 ft 2 inches)
- Weight: 73 kg (160 lbs)
- Shoe size: 270 mm
- Occupation: Singer, Solo Artist, Actor
- Associated Acts: JBJ (2017.10.18–2018.04.30)
- Debut Year: October 2017 (with JBJ), August 19th, 2019 (as a solo artist with the self-composed lead single titled “Genie”)
- Agency: YG Entertainment, YGX, YG K Plus
- Education: Apgujeong Middle School (graduation), Jungkyung High School (Sports Specialist-transfer), Aoba Japan International School, Apgujeong High School (graduated), Department of Performing Arts at Seokyeong University [taking a leave of absence]
- Official Instagram: komurola
- Official Twitter: VIINIHBofficial
- Official YouTube: VIINI (권현빈) Official
- Official Facebook: VIINIKHBOfficial
Facts about Kwon Hyun-bin
- Hyunbin participated in Mnet’s survival show Produce 101 Season 2. Unfortunately, he was eliminated in episode 10 in rank #22.
- He was trained for about three months before joining Produce 101 Season 2.
- Hyunbin is friends with former B.A.P member Himchan and Jongup. They are really close friends.
- Hyunbin used to live in Tokyo, Japan, from 5th-grade elementary school to 1st-grade middle school. He has a history of being a fencer in middle and high school, and has also competed in overseas competitions as a representative of youth. After he injured his thigh muscles, he had to give up fencing and later transferred to a regular high school, where he was a member of the council for two years.
- During high school, Hyunbin was an active person. He had a sociable personality. He was in the dance club, and was in the school promotion video. Hyunbin is also left-handed.
- Hyunbin’s favorite cartoon is One Piece. Take a good look when JBJ went on a trip to Japan, he sang the One Piece song in Japanese in the car.
- In 2015, Hyunbin joined YG K Plus to pursue a modeling career, making him the agency’s youngest model during that time. He was also part of the basketball team CODE ONE, meant for Korean models.
- His specialties are acting and creating rap lyrics.
- His hobby is uploading his photos on social media.
- Hyunbin can speak three languages. He speaks Korean, Japanese, and English.
Kwon Hyun-bin’s Hardships as a Trainee on Mnet’s Produce 101 Season 2
During Produce 101, on the stage of each agency, he showed rap but was pointed out that his pronunciation was not correct because he was wearing an inner calibrator for his braces. When the grade revaluation started, he forgot the choreography and couldn’t proceed any further. They got an F grade in the end. “I will never give up,” he said in an interview. The ranking fell four notches from last week to the 20th.
He got 142 votes in the first contest, first in the first and second categories of Sorry Sorry, and sixth in the overall producers’ rankings. As evidenced by the number of votes, the attractive low-pitched voice and the star who overwhelmed the stage were talked about in the reviews of the audience but there was malicious editing, such as not showing Kwon Hyun-bin’s presence in the actual broadcast and not showing any practice at all. Some people don’t know that Kwon Hyun-bin is the main character of the intro.
In the 3rd evaluation mission, he served as the team leader and main rapper of “I Know You Know,” and was praised by Trainer Gahee and Trainer Shin Yumi for leading the Boys Team well as a leader. In addition, composer Shin Hyeok, who composed EXO’s “Growl,” praised Kwon Hyun-bin’s rap skills with his thumbs up.
In Episode 10, Hyun-bin ended up receiving a total of 166,693 votes to rank 22nd, up 12 notches from the previous ranking.
Here are some clips of Hyun-bin in Produce 101 (Season 2). Check them out!
Kwon Hyun-bin’s Debut With JBJ
JBJ is a South Korean boy band whose line-up consists of those who participated in the 2017 Mnet survival show Produce 101 Season 2. The group was managed under FAVE Entertainment. Hyun-bin debuted with JBJ along with the other five members, Taehyun, Kenta, Sang-gyun, Longguo, and Dong-han. JBJ itself is meant to be an acronym for Just Be Joyful. It also means Really Desirable Combination. They debuted on October 18th, 2017, with an EP titled Fantasy with the title song “Fantasy.”
Check out the music video, here:
Hyun-bin is the lead rapper of the group. Let’s check out his rap part in JBJ songs!
On April 30th, 2018, prior to the expiry of the members’ contract with Fave Entertainment, the group officially disbanded.