Kim Jaejoong: A Renowned Main Vocalist and Korean Actor
Mostly famous for being the cold, handsome visual in the first generation of the Hallyu wave, Kim Jaejoong’s reputation as a top main vocalist also cannot be underestimated. During his TVXQ days, he led the songs alongside Kim Junsu. These days, Kim Jaejoong is most active as a solo singer after returning from military service while occasionally taking a role on television dramas and giving his useful insight and vision as the art director of Moldir. In this article, Channel-Korea will explain all about Kim Jaejoong, starting with his personal profile, fun facts, and trivia. So, stay tuned!
Birth Name: Han Jae Joon
Legal Name: Kim Jae Joong
Stage Name during TVXQ activities: Hero Jaejoong (in South Korea), Jejung (in Japan), Youngwoong Jaejoong (in China)
Date of Birth: Gongju, South Chungcheong, South Korea, January 26, 1986 (legal date) and February 4, 1986 (original date)
Nationality: South Korean
Occupation: Singer, actor, model, art director, songwriter, composer
Blood Type: O
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Astrology: Tiger
Siblings: 11 (seven adoptive older sisters named Kim Ahyoung, Kim Jinhee, Kim Mikyeon, Kim Minkyung, Kim Sookjin, Kim Sooyoung, and Kim Yoosoon, one younger half-sister named Yoojung and half-brother from his biological mother’s side, and two younger half-brothers from his biological father’s side)
Religion: None (atheist)
Language: Korean, Japanese
Education: Gongju Jungdong Elementary School, Gongju National University Middle School, Gongju Information High School (dropped out in 2001), Hanam High School, Kyung Hee Cyber University, with a major in Digital Media Engineering
Agency: SM Entertainment (2003 – 2009), Avex (Japanese label during TVXQ activities), C-JeS Entertainment (2010-present), Warner Music
Fun Facts and Trivia That You Have to Know
- Kim Jaejoong’s dream was to be a famous and respected singer and have his name be remembered for a while.
- Kim Jaejoong stated that his specialties and hobbies are singing, staying awake, walking, thinking, and playing the 3.6.9 game.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite idols are MILK’s Yumi, Shinhwa’s Junjin, Yoo Young-jin, Hwanhee, and Hweesung.
- Kim Jaejoong described his personality as a bright person. However, he stated that people think that he does not have a very good first impression. This is proven by his unpopularity within the fandom during his debut days.
- Kim Jaejoong listed his parents, Yoo Youngjin, Hwanhee, and Hyesung, as the people whom he respects.
- Kim Jaejoong said that his favorite comic book is the Dragon Ball series.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite fruits are bananas and apples.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite number is 3. He even chose 33 for his Balloons costume/soccer uniforms because he actually wanted 333333333333333333 and the costume maker had to compromise.
- Kim Jaejoong’s childhood dream was to own a supermarket so he could eat all the cookies he wanted.
- Kim Jaejoong’s pre-debut experience was pretty tough since he ran away from his home in Gongju to move to Seoul in order to be a singer. He dropped out of high school and picked up various odd jobs in order to make rent money. It was overall a horrible period in his life, and the habits he developed because of it are still with him to this day.
- Kim Jaejoong was tone deaf until about age 14. He taught himself to sing by practicing and joining a band after failing his first audition for SM Entertainment. Luckily, he passed on his second audition and became a trainee along with TVXQ and Super Junior members.
- Kim Jaejoong seems to have abandonment issues because he has the inability to eat alone. He also has expressed wanting to live with the other members forever and collected huge amounts of personal pictures of his friends.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite O.T member is Moon Hee-jun.
- Kim Jaejoong stated that he is insecure about his looks, laugh, body, voice, and dancing. However, he is also a bit of a narcissist.
- Kim Jaejoong used to have 11 piercings on several parts of his body. However, he had to take most of them out for various reasons.
- Kim Jaejoong had his belly button pierced until at least 2008.
- Kim Jaejoong is very skilled at cooking. He once declared that his best dish is kimchi jjigae.
- Kim Jaejoong hates doing dishes and says that whoever he marries has to be okay with doing them as long as he cooks.
- Kim Jaejoong has always believed that he will marry a fan.
- Kim Jaejoong was taught how to drink by his mother. He also can hold his alcohol extremely well.
- Kim Jaejoong learned to play piano by himself and is supposedly the third best in the group.
- Kim Jaejoong was a very good friend of former Super Junior member Han Kyung as they lived together pre-debut and used to teach each other their languages and swap recipes.
- Kim Jaejoong is interested in different languages but is not very good at them. He tends to forget vocabulary and has trouble pronouncing the hard letters in English.
- Kim Jaejoong has smoked off and on since at least 2008. He quits for a while and then starts again when his stress level is high.
- Kim Jaejoong enjoys fanservice the most out of the group and is also the best at it.
- Kim Jaejoong is known for openly shipping himself with the other members (mostly Yunho). He frequently collects couple support items at concerts and has admitted to reading fan fiction (stories written by fans about their idols).
- Kim Jaejoong hates sataxis (fans who often follow celebrities with taxis) with a passion, though he tolerates sasaeng (fans who often follow celebrities’ private schedules).
- Kim Jaejoong is not coordinated at all. He once tripped over nothing while playing soccer on a Japanese show. He also fell down a trap door in the middle of a stage during “Hug” at their 2nd Asia Tour ‘O’ in Seoul. Kim Jaejoong was obviously injured, but he refused to show it while on stage in front of the fans.
- Kim Jaejoong tore a ligament in his leg while practicing the choreography for “Rising Sun” in 2005. When given the choice between having surgery that would heal him immediately but cause him problems in the future and surgery that would take six months to heal but cause him no problems, his members urged him to choose the latter.
- Kim Jaejoong got a DUI (driving under the influence) in April 2006 after being pulled over by a policeman after driving over the legal limit. He was in the police station for 10 minutes before being picked up by his fellow TVXQ member at that time, Jung Yunho. He spent most of 2006 semi-inactive due to his leg injury, 100-day suspension from the group, and the custody battle
- Kim Jaejoong said that he does not pay a lot of attention to physical appearances when considering women. He tends to focus more on personality.
- Kim Jaejoong has a relatively open mind about age and love. He was the first to guess the relationship between a couple with a 14-year age gap (older woman, younger man), said for years that his ideal type was Jeon In-hwa (who is 21 years his senior), his first kiss was taken by a girl 2 years older, and he had a crush on his history teacher in middle school.
- Kim Jaejoong does not have a lot of luck in regards to gaining the love and respect of his pets because Vick generally ignores him and Jiji tolerates him only because he has to.
- Kim Jaejoong is extremely spoiled by his mothers and older sisters, perhaps because he is the only son in the family. On the other hand, he dotes on his younger half-sister.
- Even though he tends to wear women’s jeans because men sizes are too big and his waist is 29 inches, Kim Jaejoong hates being described as feminine.
- Kim Jaejoong enjoys fashion and coordinating outfits. Currently, he is the art director of the fashion brand Moldir.
- Kim Jaejoong wore circle lenses on a regular basis during the years after debut.
- Kim Jaejoong enjoys working out. However, these days, he focuses on toning rather than muscle building.
- Kim Jaejoong is the emotional neutral of JYJ where Yoochun (negative) and Junsu (positive) are the two opposite extremes.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite season is spring.
- Kim Jaejoong’s favorite animal is the dog. However, he also has a pet cat named Jiji.
- Kim Jaejoong said that sings when he feels scared.
- Kim Jaejoong does not see the point in lying or beating around the bush. He would rather tell the truth and just get to the point to cut out unnecessary misunderstandings. Thus, he admitted that he does not have a brain-to-mouth filter.
- Kim Jaejoong sleeps while wearing headphones with his music player’s volume up loud (or at least used to).
- Kim Jaejoong cannot grow armpit hair. He apparently shaved it once to try to make it grow, but it just stayed bare.
- Kim Jaejoong likes wearing jewelry and gets attached to his rings.
- Kim Jaejoong rejects the idea of suicide. He has said that he is too cowardly to kill himself so he would just rather suffer in silence. It took him an extremely long time to come to terms when his best friend, Park Yong-ha, committed suicide.
- Kim Jaejoong once stated that he has struggled with depression off and on for the past few years.
- Kim Jaejoong is the most open about his feelings in JYJ regarding the topic of TVXQ’s separation.
- Kim Jaejoong loves children and is a popular playmate among his various nieces and nephews.
- Kim Jaejoong is part of, and good friends with, the Korean idol F4 along with fellow JYJ member Park Yoochun, SS501’s Kim Hyunjoong, and BigBang’s O.P.
- Kim Jaejoong is known to have the most celebrity contacts out of the group. Tablo, Hong Suk Jin, Yamapi, BoA, Youngsaeng, Jeong Taese, Ayumi Hamasaki, Shirota Yu, Urata Naoya, Koda Kumi, Musashi, and Akanishi Jin are some of his more publicized friendships.
Age, Height, and Weight
As explained in his personal profile above, Kim Jaejoong was born in 1986. According to the Korean Age System, in 2018, Jaejoong’s age is 33 years old, while according to the International Age System, Kim Jaejoong is 32 years old. Besides Jaejoong, there are other Korean female and male idols who were born in 1986 as well, such as former TVXQ member Jung Yunho, fellow JYJ members Kim Junsu and Park Yoochun, Super Junior’s Eunhyuk, Donghae, Siwon, and Sungmin, Girl’s Day’s Sojin, T-ara’s Boram and Qri, 2AM’s Changmin, solo singer BoA, CSJH The Grace’s Dana, and SS501’s Heo Youngsaeng and Kim Hyunjoong. On the other hand, Kim Jaejoong is considered an average Joe with his height of 177 cm, whereas his weight is 65 kg.
Dramas, Movies, and TV Shows
Truth be told, the public mostly acknowledges Kim Jaejoong as a singer rather than an actor. His first acting role was as an extra on South Korea’s blockbuster film Taegeukgi. Then, he acted in a similar role as himself in SBS’s banjun drama series. As he matured, Kim Jaejoong took the offer to act in more serious roles, such as MBC’s Time Slip Dr. Jin and KBS2’s SPY. Kim Jaejoong also shows reversal charm on variety shows with appearances as both a guest and regular cast. Below, you may check the list of Kim Jaejoong’s drama, films, and variety shows!
2003 – SBS’s X-Man (Guest Star with TVXQ)
2004 – Taegeukgi (Guest Role)
2006 – SBS’s Dangerous Love (Main Role as Hero Jaejoong)
2006 – SBS’s Unforgettable Love (Main Role as Himself)
2006 – SBS’s Finding Lost Time (Supporting Role as Jaejoong)
2006 – SBS’s The Uninvited Guest (Main Role as Himself)
2006 – SBS’s Tokyo Holiday (Supporting Role as Kim Jaejoong)
2006 – SBS’s The King’s Man (Main Role as Kim Jaejoong or Queen Noksu)
2006 – SBS’s Vacation (Main Role as Himself)
2006 – SBS’s First Love (Main Role as Jaejoong)
2007 – SBS’s Explorers of the Human Body (Guest Star with TVXQ on episode 9 and 10)
2009 – Heaven’s Postman / Postman to Heaven (Main Role as Shin Jae-joon)
2010 – Dating on Earth (Main Role as Jaejoong)
2012 – Jackal Is Coming / Codename: Jackal (Main Role as Choi Hyun)
2010 – Fuji TV’s Sunao ni Narenakute (Main Role as Park Seon-su or Doctor)
2011 – SBS’s Protect the Boss (Main Role as Cha Mu-won)
2012 – MBC’s Time Slip Dr. Jin (Main Role as Kim Kyung-tak)
2013 – MBC’s The Zoo Is Alive 2 (Narrator)
2014 – MBC’s Triangle (Main Role as Jang Dong-chul / Heo Young-dal)
2015 – KBS2’s SPY (Main Role as Kim Seon-woo)
2016 – JYJ’s Fruitful Trip (Host)
2017 – KBS2’s Manhole (Main Role as Bong Pil)
2017-2018 – Naver TV and V Live’s Photo People (Regular Cast)