Kim Jae-wook’s Awards and Nominations
Kim Jae-wook won awards at the 1st Korean Drama Awards (2007) in the category Netizen Popularity Award for his performance in The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, the 16th Korean Culture Awards (2008) in New Artists in the Film Sector, the Asian Model Awards (2009) in Model Special Awards, and StarHub Night of Stars (2019) in Best Male Asian Star.
Fun Facts About Kim Jae-wook
- Kim Jae-wook was born in South Korea, but his family decided to move to Japan, and he lived there back when he’s still a baby because his father worked as a journalist. His father was transferred to Japan and then back to South Korea when Kim Jae-wook was around 7 or 8 years old.
- He almost couldn’t speak Korean when he returned to his hometown. He started learning to speak Korean when he was in primary school.
- Kim Jae-wook grew up as a Korean student and was in a school with a strict system and rules. Therefore, he told his parents that he wouldn’t go to high school. But, he changed his mind because he wanted to take part in the school band just like his brother. As a freshman in Dandae High School, he auditioned for the Kaksital band and was accepted.
- He started his experience as a model when he was in his sophomore year of high school. Ki Jae-wook became a model for a fashion magazine and took part in the fashion shows. Apart from being a model, his passion was still focused on his music career.
- In the Seoul Institute of the Arts, Kim Jae-wook majored in the music department and formed a rock band named Walrus; he participated as a guitarist and a vocalist. He is still in the band now.
- In 2002, MBC’s PD Park Sung Woo suggested to Kim Jae-wook that he should become an actor for television dramas. He made his debut as a member of an indie band in the MBC drama Ruler of Your Own World. Kim Jae-wook had a hard time back when he debuted as an actor, and he wanted to quit acting at that time.
- After he made his acting debut, he concentrated on his modeling career.
- 5 years later, Kim Jae-wook changed his mind about acting and had a role in the KBS2 drama Dal-ja’s Spring in 2007 as a friend of the leading role.
- Kim Jae-wook also had a supporting role as Noh Seon-ki in the drama The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince which aired on MBC. The drama became a big success and a hit, and it also reached high ratings. Kim Jae-wook gained recognition and support from the viewers.
- When he participated in the audition for The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, he was offered the character of Jin Ha-lim, who is written as a smart guy, but also a playboy. But, then, the PD changed his mind, and Kim Jae-wook received the role of Noh Seon-ki who is introspective and the quiet type. He hoped that the role would suit Jae-wook the best.
- In the same year of 2007, Kim Jae-wook made his movie debut in the film entitled Antique. He played the role of Min Seon-woo, a character who is a talented patissier and a homosexual. The PD said that he was unsure about the role that Kim Jae-wook took, but Jae-wook proved his enthusiasm and took on the role of Min Seon-woo.
- In May 2008, Kim Jae-wook was the ambassador of the 9th Jeonju International Film Festival.
- After his acting in Antique, he was offered so many jobs with characters who had the same personality as his previous role Min Seon-woo. He didn’t take the jobs and decided to take a one-year hiatus from acting.
- In 2010, Kim Jae-wook made his comeback as a supporting role in the SBS drama Bad Guy. As Hong Tae-sung, he played a role that was more dynamic than those he had taken before. In the same year, he also showed his ability to speak Japanese and Korean in another drama entitled Pygmalion’s Love (キミ の 記憶 を ボク に ください ~ ピグマリオン の 恋 ~).
- Kim Jae-wook took the role of Janice Man in a mini-series drama titled Golden Heart, and he showed his ability to speak English.
- In Mary Stayed Out All Night, Kim Jae-wook played the role of Jung-in. The character of Jung-in is a rich young man who moved from Japan to Korea. This role allowed Jae-wook to show his ability to speak Japanese. It is a romantic-comedy drama that stars Moon Geun-young and Jang Geun-suk in the lead roles.
- In May 2011, Kim Jae-wook became a co-author with his friends from the fashion industry, Jang Yoon-ju, Ji Hyun-jung, Han Hye-jin, and Song Kyung-ah, to write a book titled Top Model. It was written based on their experiences in the industry and included beauty, make-up, and styling tips.
- Apart from being an actor and musician, Kim Jae-wook’s hobbies are playing baseball and football.
- He enjoys cleaning his room for 4-5 hours in his free time. After doing the housework and chores, he can look around at the clean house and be proud of his work.
- Kim Jae-wook once worked part-time at a transgender bar in Itaewon to prepare for his role in the drama musical Hedwig. He did a fantastic transformation in drag for the Korean adaptation of Hedwig the Angry Inch, a rock musical by John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask. He explained on tvN’s Life Bar that he made a visit to check things out and asked for permission from the boss to work for a short period of time without getting paid. He also bought skirts and high heels to make himself more comfortable in his role as a gay person.
- Kim Jae-wook said he never washes his jeans. Despite being a model and doing fashion stuff, he said that he likes to keep his own rules about style and fashion, and being simple is one of his favorite styles.
- After he finished his military service in 2013, Kim Jae-wook made a comeback to play a role in the drama Who Are You. He took a role as a detective who died and returned as the ghost Lee Hyung Joon. Kim Jae-wook is involved in a love triangle with his co-worker 2PM’s Ok Taec-yeon and fights for Yang Si-ohn’s love.