Get to know Kim Hyo-jong aka PENTAGON’s E’Dawn
Long before Kim Hyo-jong, the solo artist existed, he was a member of PENTAGON. In the middle of the success of the song “Shine,” E’Dawn was forced to leave in 2018 due to the dating scandal that emerged with fellow labelmate Hyuna. After E’Dawn’s departure on November 14th, 2018, PENTAGON officially became a 9-member boy group. Even though they lost one member, it didn’t mean that PENTAGON fans named Universe left them too. Even though they were disappointed, the Universe remains loyal to give their support to the remaining PENTAGON members as well as individual support to E’Dawn.
Even though E’Dawn is no longer a member of PENTAGON, he still held an important position in the PENTAGON journey as the lead rapper, main dancer, and sub-vocalist. He was also one of the most popular members of PENTAGON and part of the trio Triple H with fellow member Hui and his now-girlfriend Hyuna. So, are you curious to know more about him? If so, let’s scroll down the article below to find out all the facts!
Stage Name: E’ Dawn (이던)
Birth Name: Kim Hyo-jong (김효종)
Position: Main Dancer, Lead Rapper, Sub-Vocalist
Birthday: June 1st, 1994
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Height: 173 cm (5’8″)
Weight: 60 kg (132 lbs)
Blood Type: O
- He was born in Hwasun, southern Jeolla Province
- He has an older brother
- He dreamed of becoming a zookeeper or animal trainer as a child
- The national anthem of Korea was the first Korean song he ever sang
- He auditioned for JYP Entertainment’s dance team in 2012
- During Pentagon Maker, he called Hyuna for advice in one of their missions
- He appeared in G.NA’s “Secret” and Hyuna’s “Roll Deep” music video
- He was featured in Jeon Seoyoon’s “Jelly” music video along with Wooseok
- He once replaced Ilhoon when Hyuna was promoting her new song “Roll Deep” on Mnet’s M! Countdown
- He is talented at composing songs
- He is known for his popping skills
- When dancing/performing, he turns into a completely different person (he can dance as if his head and body are separate)
- He made a cameo appearance in a web drama titled Spark
- In PENTAGON’s dorm, he shared a room with Hongseok
- Shopping, skateboarding, watching anime, and cycling are his hobbies
- He can speak Japanese
- Rapping, songwriting, DJ-ing, and popping are his specialties
- He is a high note rapper
- He likes to wear shorts
- Black is his favorite color
- He is afraid of water because he can’t swim, he used to have aquaphobia
- He has a 4D personality and thinks he is the cutest in the group
- He has tattoos
- He was the first leader of PENTAGON but was replaced by Hui
- He liked to tease Kino
- If he were a girl, he would date his teammate, Yuto alongside Hui, and Wooseok
- He wrote the lyrics to Produce 101’s song “Never”
- He, alongside Hui, and Wooseok, wrote the lyrics for “Never” for Produce 101
- He has several similarities with Beast’s former member Jang Hyun-seung
- Together with fellow member Hui and Hyuna, he debuted in CUBE’s new subunit Triple H on May 1st, 2017
- In August 2018, he was confirmed to have been dating Hyuna since May 2016
- On September 13th, 2018, Cube officially announced that E’Dawn and Hyuna have been kicked out of the agency but the decision is not definitive and a final decision will be made next week
- Later, it was confirmed that E’Dawn left PENTAGON and Cube on November 14th, 2018
- He signed a contract with P Nation on January 25th, 2019, the same agency that housed Hyuna and Jessie
- On November 5th, 2019, he debuted as a solo artist under P Nation by the stage name Dawn
Prior to debuting with the group, Kino was known to be a dancer and a member of a dance team called Urban Boyz. He participated in the special dance stage in the 2013 KBS Song Festival along with Hui, E’Dawn, and Yeo One. He also participated as a dancer in Jirayu Tangsrisuk’s 1st concert and James Ji Monkey King Fan Meeting in February 2014, along with Kino.
The news of PENTAGON’s debut first circulated in 2015 and it was confirmed on December 31st, 2015, by Cube Entertainment that they would debut their third boy group, after Beast and BtoB. The group’s introduction trailer, “Come into the World,” was released on April 26th, 2016, and the group’s official Twitter, Facebook, and Weibo opened on the same day.
Then, Cube Entertainment revealed that the group would participate in an idol-making survival variety show titled Pentagon Maker. The show ran in a survival format where each of the 10 members uploaded different clips of their singing, rapping, dancing, teamwork, variety talents, and mindset to compete for the audiences’ views and seats in the PENTAGON debut on July 16th, 2016. The team was divided into five categories (vocal or rap, dance, talent, mind, and teamwork) and judged either as a unit or individually. The show aired on May 2nd, 2016, through Mnet’s digital content brand M2 for 12 weeks every Monday and Tuesday.
In the show, E’Dawn showcased his talents by performing his self-composed song, dancing, and even becoming a team leader.
He also showcased his cute personality in the show, despite a brief glance of his tough boy persona.
And showcased great teamwork with other members.
Sadly, E’Dawn, alongside Yan-an and Shinwon did not complete their pentagraphs and were eliminated from the show. E’Dawn’s elimination was heartbreaking for the viewers, but later it was said that all of those were Cube’s interactive schemes. In the end, he was brought back into the group.
Although E’Dawn didn’t win the seat in PENTAGON along with the seven members who were selected from the show (Kino, Jinho, Hui, Hongseok, Yeo One, Yuto, and Wooseok), he was eventually included in the final line-up along with Shinwon, and Yan-an. Thus, PENTAGON officially debuted with 10 members in the line-up!
Debut with PENTAGON
Originally, the group was set to debut on July 16th, 2016. But later it was postponed.
On September 29th, 2016, CUBE Entertainment finally announced the date of Pentagon’s debut which was October 10th, 2016. Furthermore, PENTAGON officially introduced the 10 members through an individual teaser, which was released on October 4th, 2016. They debuted by releasing their first mini-album titled Pentagon with the main song “Gorilla.” They held their first showcase in Yeongdeungpo on the same day as the release of their mini-album.
Although the group didn’t hit mainstream success in the charts right away from their debut, the group was quite active in their early years. Shortly after their debut, the group continued to prepare their next mini-album.
Before the comeback by releasing their second mini-album, PENTAGON held their first solo concert titled PENTAGON Mini Concert TENTASTIC Vol. 1 on December 6th, 2016, at Yes24 Live Hall, Seoul. The concert tickets were sold out in just 8 minutes. An impressive record for a new group.
After the success of their inaugural concert, the group launched their second mini-album titled Five Senses on December 7th, 2016, with the title track, “Can You Feel It?”
On March 7th, 2017, PENTAGON announced their fandom name, UNIVERSE (유니버스). The name Universe itself comes from the lyrics of their song titled “Pentagon” which is on their first mini-album. Their third mini-album, titled Ceremony then was officially released on June 12th, 2017, with the title track “Critical Beauty.” But unfortunately, Yan-ann did not participate in the promotion in this comeback because he was injured. Only 3 months later, the group made a comeback with their fourth mini-album Demo_01 in September 2017, with full members, and after 2 months, their fifth mini-album was released with the lead song “Runaway.”
On April 2nd, 2018, the group released their sixth mini-album titled Positive which contains 6 songs with the main song “Shine.” With the song “Shine,” PENTAGON finally received a good reception from music lovers, especially from Korea. The song “Shine” made it to the Melon chart, which they had a hard time achieving with previously released songs. Even the music video has been watched more than 70 million times as of September 2018, becoming the most-watched music video of PENTAGON. Even though the song is pretty good on Korean music charts, the group still hasn’t got a trophy on the weekly music stage.
This became E’Dawn’s last comeback as a member of PENTAGON as he couldn’t participate in the next album due to hiatus from his scandal.
After 5 months, finally, PENTAGON came back with their newest song “Naughty Boy.” The song is part of their 7th mini-album Thumbs Up! which was officially issued on September 10th, 2018. However, E’Dawn, alongside Yan-an did not make a comeback on this occasion.
E’Dawn has been on hiatus for a while because there was a bit of controversy when it was revealed that he was in a relationship with former 4minutes member and solo singer Hyuna. Meanwhile, Yan-an was having problems with his health and had to take a break from all PENTAGON activities.
On November 14th, CUBE Entertainment confirmed that E’Dawn has officially left PENTAGON as well as the company.