Meet Jung Joon-young’s Former Band, Drug Restaurant
Drug Restaurant (Hangul: 드럭 레스토랑) is a South Korean rock band under C9 Entertainment. This band was known as the Jung Joon Young Band (JJY Band) (Hangul: 정준영밴드). The band was formed by Jung a year after he debuted as a solo singer in 2013. Drug Restaurant was a South Korean rock band, formed in Seoul, South Korea in 2014.
The band members included Jung Seok-won as a bassist, Jo Dae min (Dammit) as a guitarist, and Lee Hyun-gyu (Drok. Q) as a drummer. The Drug Restaurant released their debut album named Escape to Hangover, on May 27th, 2015. The name JJY Band changed the name into Drug Restaurant on May 20th, 2016, because they wanted to focus as one band rather than centering on Jung Joon Yong, the frontman vocalist.
Let’s find out more about Drug Restaurant, Jong Joon-young’s former band in this article on Channel-Korea. Stay tuned!
Band Profile and Facts
The band released their debut album on May 27th, 2015. Later in 2016, they changed their name to Drug Restaurant, because they wanted to go with a name that focuses on the band as one.
- Debut: May 27th, 2015
- Disbanded: March 3rd, 2019
- Label: C9 Entertainment
- Daum Café
- Jo Dae Min @damonjoe/damonjoe
- Jung Seok Won @seokwon1106/seokwon1106
- Lee Hyun Gyu @drok.q
- Jung Joon Young @official_JYrock/sun4finger
- Jung Joon-young
Stage Name: Jung Joon-young (Hangeul: 정준영)
Full Name Name: Jung Joon-young (Hangeul: 정준영)
Position: Leader, Main Vocalist, Rhythm Guitarist, Maknae
Date of Birth: February 21st, 1989
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Height: 184 cm (6’0″)
Weight: 65 kg (143.3 lbs)
Facts of Joon Young:
– He was born in Indonesia and moved to South Korea when he was 18 years old.
– He joined the MNET reality television talent show, Superstar K4 in 2012, and finished in third place.
– He appeared in the variety show 2 Days & 1 Night Season 3 on KBS as the youngest participant.
– He got the opportunity to become a host of his own radio show titled MBC FM’s Jung Joon-young’s Simsimtapa in 2014.
– He made his screen debut in the drama Love Forecast in 2015.
– He can speak five different languages: Korean, English, Chinese, conversational Japanese, and Tagalog.
– He became a solo singer in 2013 releasing a mini-album and successfully winning the “New Male Solo Artist” award at the 3rd Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards.
–He took private lessons for regular subjects, such as Math, English, piano, and violin rather than regular school education.
– He has got a fourth-degree black belt in Taekwondo.
– He decided to go to the Philippines doing missionary work, and taught Taekwondo and music to children in the Philippines.
– He was one of members of the choir that performed in front of the former president of the Philippines.
– He decided that he wanted to become a rock star after watching Nirvana’s ‘MTV Unplugged’ show during his teenage years.
– In March 2019, he was involved in Seungri’s group chatroom that shares videos of women illegally and even promoted prostitution.
– On March 21st, 2019 he got arrested because of sex video scandals and got terminated from his label.
Stage Name: Dammit (Hangeul: 담밑)
Full Name: Jo Daemin (Hangeul: 조대민)
Position: Guitarist, Sub-Vocalist
Date of Birth: July 12th, 1986
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Height: 175 cm (5’9″)
Weight: 64 kg (141 lbs)
Facts of Dammit
– Dammit is a former member of the rock band Vanilla Unity that often appeared at Seo Taiji’s concerts.
– He got offered to join Joon Young’s music band, but at first he wasn’t sure about Joon Young’s musical character.
Stage Name: Seokwon (Hangeul: 석원)
Full Name: Jung Seokwon (Hangeul: 정석원)
Position: Bassist, Sub-Vocalist
Date of Birth: June 11th, 1988
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
– Seokwon was a member of Munch and Fantastic Drugstore before joining Jung Joon Young’s Band also known as Drug Restaurant.
4. Drok. Q
Stage Name: Drok. Q (Hangeul: 드록 규)
Full Name: Lee Hyun Gyu (Hangeul: 이현규)
Date of Birth: February 9th, 1989
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Drok. Q Facts:
– Drok. Q was a member of Munch before joining the band Drug Restaurant.
– He was also a Superstar K contestant, same as Jung Joon Young.
The lead vocal of Drug Restaurant, Jung Joon Young denied the accusations of plagiarism in their recent song “Mistake.” He said that this song was arranged by member Jo Dae Min who admits the song was influenced by rock band Two Door Cinema Club.
They also got a tweet from Two Door Cinema Club on July 28th, two months after the song was released, “Nice to see we’ve inspired someone,” adding a link to Drug Restaurant’s track. The Irish indie rock band was referring to their latest song “Mistake.”
People were comparing “Mistake” to the Two Door Cinema Club’s songs “Someday” and “What You Know” as given similar guitar riffs in the tracks. Later on, Drug Restaurant denied that they plagiarized a Two Door Cinema Club song, however, they stated, “The overall planning and vision of the song was by member Jo Dae Min, who really respects Two Door Cinema Club. The song is influenced by them, but it’s not plagiarism.” See the video clip of “Mistake” below 🙂
The Future of the Band After Members’ Controversy
On March 12th, 2019, Jung Joon-young, the vocalist and guitarist and also former band member in 2015, announced his retirement from the entertainment industry due to a scandal that he secretly filmed his own sexual activity, then shared the videos with friends in a group chat, including some popular Korean celebrities. Then, on March 13th, 2019, Jung’s agency, Make Us Entertainment, confirmed that Jung Joon-young got a termination on his contract with the company. He also wrote an apology letter.
His statement is translated below:
“I write to you in shame and guilt.”
“I, Jung Joon Young, once again realized the seriousness of this situation after returning to Korea on March 12th. Although it’s already late, I apologize through this letter to all the people who showed an interest in me and gave me a second chance.”
“In regards to what is being said in relation to me, I admit to all my crimes. I filmed women without their consent and shared it in a social media chatroom, and while I did so I didn’t feel a great sense of guilt.”
“As a public figure, it was an unethical act worthy of criticism, and such a thoughtless action.”
“More than anything, I kneel and apologize to the women who appear in the videos who have learned of this hideous truth as the incident has come to light, and to the many people who must be angry at the situation over which they cannot contain their disappointment and astonishment.”
“I am withdrawing from all the programs that I was appearing on, and I will suspend all activities in the entertainment industry. I will now set down all my activities as a public figure that are not self-reflection, and I will reflect for the rest of my life on my immoral and illegal actions related to the crimes.”
“More than anyone else, I apologize to the women who have experienced great suffering due to my actions, to the many people who must feel anger even more so than disappointment, and to the many people who made me into a public figure and cherished me.”
“I will sincerely take part without any falsehoods in the investigations that will begin on the morning of March 14th, and I will accept punishment for my actions.”
“I once again deeply apologize. I am sorry.”
Tuesday, March 12th, 2019
Jung Joon Young