Learn More About Joshua and Vernon of SEVENTEEN
Seventeen (Hangul: 세븐틴; written as SEVENTEEN or SVT) is a South Korean male singer group formed by Pledis Entertainment. Thirteen members are divided into three different units to display their specialization of expertise: hip-hop units, vocal units, and performance units. This group is known for its members’ involvement in compiling and making all the songs, as well as developing their choreography. The fan club for this group is called “Carat.”
Among the thirteen members, there are two Seventeen members who are English speakers, Joshua and Vernon. Let’s introduce them!
Joshua’s Profile and Facts
Joshua is a South Korean singer and dancer. He is a member of the popular K-Pop group SEVENTEEN. When he was a child, he loved singing, playing the guitar and forming bands with his school friends; he auditioned and was accepted by Pledis Entertainment after finishing high school, and now he is in an important part of the SEVENTEEN group.
Joshua is a multi-talented person – he can play musical instruments, sing, compose, and dance; he has made many covers of popular songs, most often in an acoustic version, such as his version of “Because of You” by After School. Besides being part of SEVENTEEN’s vocal unit, he also conducted a solo project with rapper Kisum, for the song “You and I.” He is known as the gentleman of SEVENTEEN because he has never gotten angry and always speaks softly.
Joshua’s Full Profile
Real Name: Joshua Hong/Hong Jisoo (홍지수)
Stage Name: Joshua (조슈아) (ジ ョ シ ュ ア)
Nickname: American Hyung, Gentleman Joshua
Date of birth: December 30th, 1995
Height: 177 cm
Weight: 60 kg
Blood type: A
Origin: Los Angeles, California
Joshua studied at an elementary school in Los Angeles, where he was born. He also attended high school or special high school in downtown Los Angeles.
The school was named Downtown Magnets High School, and Joshua finished school in 2014.
After graduating from high school, he became a student at Pledis Entertainment and was trained for two years and two months, along with Jeong Han.
It seems that Joshua is just a child, and his parents are still living together. He is always happy to make his parents proud and he is a child who is very devoted to his parents; he said his dream was to make his parents happy by being happy and doing what they support. Not much is known about his parents because Joshua is young and doesn’t reveal a lot about his family.
He is fluent in both English and Korean, because he speaks Korean when at home with his parents, but speaks English at school. Although he considers English as his mother tongue, Joshua is quite fluent in Korean (it’s just that he doesn’t write it – he’s bad at it!). He grew up in a Christian family in Los Angeles and his family goes to church every week; Joshua found his singing talent and began singing in the church.
After seeing how people were touched by his singing and the appearance of the song, he realized that that was what he wanted to do. So, at the time of the audition, he did his best, and he ran away.
Hong Jisoo, better known as Joshua Hong, is a member of the SEVENTEEN Vocal Unit. He was born in Los Angeles, USA, and he grew up there and attended school there too. At a very young age, Joshua discovered his musical talent and decided to play the guitar. He was very good and practiced a lot on his guitar skills, which he used to make cover songs and make up some new ones as well. He realized that he wanted to become a singer after singing in his family’s church in LA when he ended his great audition after he finished singing.
Joshua is known as the most gentle member of SEVENTEEN because he is rarely angry, and always smiles and has a positive outlook on life. He speaks very softly and is talkative, so being around him made us feel like we have found a best friend!
One of Joshua’s other qualities is that he cannot ask for mercy or comment on people; his past attending church and growing well might have an impact on his life now; his attitude cannot be a joke.
Joshua likes to play too – he used to love football, and also watched the animated program “Adventure Time.”
The only drawback, as he said, was that the dance was bad – he didn’t think he could make his bandmates proud with slow dances and it was difficult to accept dance moves.
However, everyone likes Joshua even though the dance is bad, and they even help him not to care about anything; a very good friend of his is Jeong Han because both of them are very close, more so than the other members.
Jeong Han, one of the members of Seventeen, and Joshua consider each other as brothers, and they even have a partner name – ShuJeon.
Joshua is not known to date anyone at this time, but he has mentioned several times about what attracts his attention in a girl.
Because Joshua is very attentive and kind, he likes to be with someone who looks like him. He also laughs, so he doesn’t mind having a cute girlfriend, but it’s also important that his girlfriend always smiles and has honesty.
Department in School: Music
Food: Chicken and Ice Cream
Colors: Blue, Brown, Black, and Pink
Song: “Gentleman Don’T” by Gabe Bondoc
TV Shows: Adventure Time
Film: Anything as long as it’s a horror film
Music: hip-hop, R&B
Model: EXO, his parents, Eminem, and Shinhwa
Actor: Jang Dong Gun
Moto: “I live music”
Hobby: reading books, soccer
YouTuber: Gabe Bondoc, AJ Rafael, and Jeff Bernat
- Known as someone who is gentle in the group.
- Known as a vocalist.
- The name of the fan collection is rust.
- His religion is Christianity.
- His favorite quote is “Listen to the advice of parents well.”
- He plays several instruments not only the guitar.
- He was born in the US from a Korean parent.
- He became a protégé for 26 months before making his debut.
- He wants to have a group like Shinwha.
- He likes rabbits and hopes to have them as pets.
- He serves his religion.
- His first name is after the old agreement.
- He is a person who speaks softly.
- He doesn’t like green.
- He sang in the church when he was little.
- He is a fan of EXO.
- He likes Chris Brown, Eminem, Usher, and Tupac.
- He likes to read, sleep, eat, play guitar, and sing.
- He can cook well.
- He likes to watch YouTube.
- He prefers reading books to watching movies.
- His biggest challenge is asking for people’s generosity.
- He is bad at dancing.
Vernon’s Full Profile and Facts
Vernon from Seventeen was born with the name Hansol Vernon Chwe on February 18th, 1998, New York, USA. At the age of 5, his family moved to South Korea where he grew up in the Hongdae neighborhood of Seoul, the capital of South Korea.
He finished his primary education at Ewha University Elementary School. Vernon developed a passion for hip-hop at an early age and as a teenager, he entered the Pledis Entertainment record label.
Vernon appeared in several music videos, including the singles “Falling” by Man K, and “My Copycat” by Orange Caramel.
Vernon’s Full Profile
Real Name: Hansol Vernon Chwe
Korean name: Choi Han Choi (최 한솔)
Stage Name: Vernon (버논)
Nickname: Mr. Headphones, Peacekeeper, 4D, DiCaprio
Date of Birth: February 18th, 1998
Place of Birth: New York, United States
Position: Main Rapper
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 62 kg
Blood Type: A
Zodiac sign: Aquarius
Unit: Hip-Hop Team
Hansol Vernon Chwe comes from a mixed ethnic group. His father is from South Korea and his mother is from the United States. His father, Simon Choi, is an artist, while his mother Melody Chwe, is an art teacher. The rapper only has one sibling, a sister named Sofia Chwe. His middle name “Vernon” is actually his mother’s maiden name. By chance, the rapper also adopted him as his stage name. The family moved to South Korea when Vernon was still a child.
For some reason, perhaps because of his good looks, many Vernon fans argue that he bears a resemblance to the popular Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio. Rap singer Vernon is often referred to as the Leonardo DiCaprio of K-Pop. Many even took it a little bit further by concluding that indeed the two entertainers are actually related.
However, there is no blood connection between the Hollywood actor and the young rapper. Of course, Vernon is really flattered by the comparison, however, he admits that he sometimes feels embarrassed.
- He is originally from New York but moved to Korea when he was 5 years old.
- His mother is American and his father is Korean.
- He has a younger sister named Sofia.
- He is very close to his sister, he even has a temporary tattoo on his arm.
- He was thrown at the station in front of his middle school.
- His family lives in Hongdae but he lives in Gangnam because the Seventeen hostel is located there.
- Because his mother also moved to Korea (when he was 5 years old) but because doesn’t speak Korean, at home they continue to speak in English, that’s why Vernon’s English is very good.
- His favorite rappers are Drake, T.I, J.Cole, and Kendrick Lamar.
- He is very easily amused.
- He is one of the most feared members.
- He likes the month of December.
- He admires David Bowie.
- He has an interest in fashion and he has a lot of hats.
- His favorite ice cream is Vanilla ice cream.
- His favorite food is chocolate.
- He likes chocolate cakes and cheesecakes.
- He likes cheeseburgers.
- His hobbies are reading webtoons, watching movies, reading.
- He likes actor Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Johnny Depp.
- His favorite Korean actor is Lee Byung Han.
- He is a fan of Harry Potter.
- He was a fan of Star Wars and bought a BB-8 robot when he was in Japan.
- His favorite seasons are Summer and Autumn.
- His favorite animal is a dog.
- He likes cats and he has his own pet cat, named ‘Dodam.’ The cat’s name was taken after his cousin.
- He doesn’t have a favorite girl group.
- He prefers watching movies to reading.
- If he could introduce members to his family, he would choose Soonyoung.
- He received the nickname ‘Twix’ because he always has a lot of Twix bars in their training room.
- He was chosen by other members as the shyest member.
- He was chosen by members because he acted the funniest around girl groups. He said he smiled with eyes looking at the girls and not at the members.
- He is featured in Man of K’s “Falling” music video, Hello Venus’ “Venus” music video, and Orange Caramel’s “My Copycat” music video.
- Vernon has a collaboration with the M.O.L.A. group. (Make Our Lives Awesome), which consists of him, Jimin 15, Luizy (Seungyoun) UNIQ, and Nathan, for the song “Chillin.”
- He likes British English accents and he likes Australian accents.
- Vernon said that now he is better in Korean than his own language, English.
- He sees himself as a truly free person.
- His role models in life are his parents and teacher, and American rapper J Cole.
- The meaning behind his stage name is his middle name and his mother’s name.
- Vernon is close to Kino from PENTAGON. He even bought Kino a telephone box when he was in Japan.
- He hopes he can have good speaking skills like SeungKwan.
- He shares the room with SeungKwan the most.
- He’s a relaxed person. He always takes the longest to do anything other people do, and the hyungs scold him. (Japanese Seventeen Magazine)
- He likes a casual style with a bit of a spicy impact. (Japanese Seventeen Magazine)
- He looks childish, but actually, he’s a deep person. He stressed the importance of not discriminating against something; meaning that he is not prejudiced. (Japanese Seventeen Magazine)
- He was a fairly ordinary student, playing with his friends at internet cafes. Then, when he was in his second year of high school, he was fostered in the office when he came home from school on the subway. It really changed his life. If he was not nurtured at that time, he wouldn’t know where he is or what he is doing now. (Japanese Seventeen Magazine)
- Vernon competed in Show Me The Money 4 but was eliminated in the third round.
- Vernon is a cast member of the variety show Tutor, along with other K-Pop idols, such as Hongseok Pentse, Luda WJSN, etc. Vernon is an English teacher.
- Vernon doesn’t care about appearances. He cares more about a person’s personality and heart. (Japanese Seventeen Magazine)
- Vernon’s ideal type is someone whose heart can connect with his.