The First Generation of K-pop Idol, Jang Woo-hyuk from H.O.T
As a K-pop fan, have you ever wonder how K-pop culture look like back then? Well, these days, we know a lot of things about K-pop such as fan accounts, fancam, fan edits, everything that you can find on Twitter or other social media platforms. But back then, there’s no such thing as that in the first generation of K-pop.
Jang Woo-hyuk is one of the idols of the first era of K-pop before K-pop itself going global. He is a member of a popular boy group named H.O.T. They made a debut under SM Entertainment, the agency that you may know now as a house for NCT, Red Velvet, Exo, etc.
Let’s talk about the details of Jang Woo-hyuk in this article!
Jang Woo-hyuk’s Full Profile
Name: Jang Woo-hyuk / Woo-hyuk
Korean Name: 장우혁
Birth Place: Gumi-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Birthday: May 8, 1978
Weight: 61 kg
Blood Type: O
Family: Parents, two older brothers
- Geumo Elementary School
- Hyeonggok Middle School
- Hyeonil High School
- Baekje University of the Arts (Traditional Arts / Professional Bachelor)
- Kyonggi University (Multimedia Imaging / Bachelor)
- Sejong University (Physical Education / Master Degree)
Agency: WH Creative
Group(s): H.O.T, JTL
Position: Main rapper
Jang Woo-hyuk’s Facts
- Jang Woo-hyuk is the youngest son in his family, he has two older brothers.
- Jang Woo-hyuk has started his military service in November 2007 and finished it in December 2009.
- Jang Woo-hyuk was diagnosed with the temporomandibular joint disorder when he was in the military, so he moved to the social worker division.
- Along with g.o.d’s member, Kim Tae-woo, Jang Woo-hyuk is one of the prides of Gumi-si, his hometown.
- Jang Woo-hyuk starred in a Chinese drama and he gained a lot of popularity in China.
- Jang Woo-hyuk’s religion is Buddhism but during the H.O.T era, he often used cross necklaces. He said that the shape is pretty and it suits the concept.
- Jang Woo-hyuk loves dogs and he is a dog breeder.
- Jang Woo-hyuk has learned gymnastics since he was young and he has been doing yoga regularly.
- Jang Woo-hyuk once suffered from depression because of public opinion about him. He was scared that people talk bad about how he couldn’t finish his military duty as an active soldier.
- Jang Woo-hyuk seems to be so fond of Seo Sang-hyuk, the trainee of his agency and a participant of Produce 101 Season 2. He gave him a lot of encouragement and supports.
Jang Woo-hyuk’s H.O.T Era
Jang Woo-hyuk debuted as an H.O.T member in September 1996. The group itself consisted of Moon Heejun, Jang Woo-hyuk, Tony Ahn, Kangta, Lee Jae-won. During that time, H.O.T gained popularity and succeeded to sell over 1 million copies of their first album, We Hate All Kinds of Violence.
When Jang Woo-hyuk was in H.O.T, he was known as the wild guy. He also has the position of the main rapper. Fans and the public have seen him as the tough guy in H.O.T. He was also known as the dancer of H.O.T.
When he was younger, Jang Woo-hyuk won a dance competition. No wonder that Korean people often call him the ‘Michael Jackson of Korea’ due to his dancing ability.
Let’s take a look at some clips of Jang Woo-hyuk when he was in H.O.T!
Even though H.O.T was such a success for SM Entertainment, they didn’t renew the contract and some members left the agency. In 2001, the five members group decided to disband and announce it to the public.
Jang Woo-hyuk in JTL
When H.O.T announced their disbandment in May 2001, Jang Woo-hyuk became one of the members of H.O.T that didn’t renew the contract with SM Entertainment. However, Heejun and Kangta still stay in SM Entertainment. Even now Kangta is still with SM Entertainment and became one of the shareholders of the agency.
Jang Woo-hyuk along with Tony and Lee Jae-won formed a new group called JTL. As you can guess, the name was from their initial, Jang Woo-hyuk, Tony, and Lee Jae-won. They released their first singles in December 2001.
But, there are some H.O.T fans who against it. They even boycotted the music video. Even so, JTL still made it before finally disbanded in 2003.
Jang Woo-hyuk’s Solo Activities
After the disbandment of JTL in 2003, Jang Woo-hyuk spread his popularity to China and Taiwan, he even starred in some Chinese dramas. He also released solo albums in 2005 and 2006. After that, he went to military service in 2007 and finished it in 2009.
Jang Woo-hyuk returned to the public as a solo artist after that. He released extended plays I Am the Future and Back to the Memories in 2011 and got nominated for Mnet Asian Music Award in the same year.
In 2019, Jang Woo-hyuk did a collaboration with the young generation of K-pop, soloist Kim Chung-ha. Even as the legendary of K-pop, Jang Woo-hyuk still slayed it.
Jang Woo-hyuk’s Love Life: Dating Scandal, Wife, Etc.
Jang Woo-hyuk once involved in a romance issue, just like some other Korean celebrities. He was reported to have a relationship with actress Yoo Min in 2014. They have often had a date while traveling overseas. Some netizens caught them on camera while they were at airports.
However, the lovebirds have decided to end their relationship. Even so, it was reported that Jang Woo-hyuk’s love life with Yoo Min lasted for 8 years. Quite a long time, right?
Jang Woo-hyuk also went on an on-screen blind date in a show called Love’s Flavor Season 2. There, he met a girl who is younger than him named Park Soo-hyun. However, the relationship didn’t seem to goes well since the director said that the girl had cut off their relationship even though Jang Woo-hyuk seemed interested.
What do you think about Jang Woo-hyuk’s love life?
Jang Woo-hyuk was a legend to the K-pop industry. He has done his best as the main rapper of H.O.T and JTL. He was a great dancer and is still a great dancer now. Let’s wish the success of Jang Woo-hyuk in the future! And if you like this article, don’t forget to share it on your social media. You can also check out other articles in Channel Korea about your favorite K-pop idols. Cheers!