Details of Im Young-woong!
Lim Young-woong or also known as Lim Hero is a South Korean Trot singer. He was the winner of TV Chosun’s Mr. Trot. Prior to his debut, he wanted to be a ballad singer at first, but he discovered his talent as a trot singer later on. In 2020, Im Young-woong became a hot topic of conversation among global fans because he was charting number one on Korean music sites during the Blackpink comeback. He ranked #1 on Soribada and Genie, disrupting Blackpink in getting an All Kill on music sites.
In this article, Channel-Korea will unveil everything about Im Young-woong! Keep reading.
Im Young Woong’s Profile
- Stage Name: Lim Young Woong (임영웅), Lim Hero (임히어로)
- Full Name: Im Yeon-gung (임영웅, 林英雄)
- Nicknames: Im Hero, Son of Pocheon, Lim Poong Sung, Woong, Woong-ri, Im Manner
- Date of Birth: June 16th, 1991
- Place of Birth: Jeongok-eup, Yeoncheon-gun, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
- Nationality: Korean
- Religion: Buddhism
- Star Sign: Gemini
- Blood Type: A
- Height: 182 cm
- Weight: 72 kg
- Debut Date: August 8th, 2016 with the single “Hate You (미워요 / 소나기)”
- Agency: Tizzo C&C, New Era Project, Mulgogi Music
- Education: Songwoo Elementary School, Galwol Middle School, Dongnam High School, Kyungbok University (Dept. of Practical Music/Bachelor of Arts)
- Official Daum Fancafé: Lim Young-woong’s official fan cafe
- Official Instagram: Lim Young Woong
- Official YouTube: Lim Young Woong
Facts of Im Young Woong
- Before his debut, Im Young-woong participated in the Hidden Singer, in the Baek Ji-young episode as a panelist.
- Im Young-woong was the winner of Mr. Trot.
- Im Young-woong served his military service as a Sergeant at the 3rd Infantry Division.
- Favorite dishes: galbi, braised short ribs, spicy foods (cheese buldak), jjajangmyeon, soy sauce marinated crab, and soybean paste stew.
- Im Young-woong said he doesn’t like raw fish and never wants to eat spicy fish stew.
- Im Young-woong likes to drink wine alone.
- On his YouTube channel, Im Young-woong said he wanted to raise a dog.
- Prefers half-up hair.
- Im Young-woong likes soccer so much that even plays soccer five days a week. His favorite soccer players are Lionel Messi and Son Heung-min.
- Im Young-woong learned soccer and taekwondo when he was young.
- Because of his personality, Im Young-woong likes to move and sing rather than just sing. In fact, he is bad at dancing.
- Originally, Im Young-woong used to wear glasses due to poor eyesight. Lasek surgery was later performed.
- He’s very close to Young-tak, a cast member of Mr. Trot.
- He’s a fan of Buzz (a South Korean band).
- His role model is Shin Yu.
- His favorite singer is Park Hyo-sin. He once sang Park Hyo-shin’s song “Snow Flower” on a school trip when he was in high school.
- On August 24th, 2020, his official fan club announced that it donated 896,682,219 won for flood victims affected by torrential rains.
- Among the nicknames given by fans, he likes the nickname Lim Poong-sung the most.
- Im Young-woong’s ideal type is a pretty person who smiles.
Im Young Woong’s Debut Era
Im Young-woong debuted on August 8th, 2016. He debuted with a song titled “Hate You” and “Shower”. In 2017, he released “What’s Important”. Prior to his debut, he was a member of the vocal team Awesome Bla (어썸블라). He dreamed of becoming a ballad singer at first, but he discovered a hidden talent in trot by competing in local competitions.
However, after appearing in the KBS National Singing Contest and winning the first prize, he decided to become a trot singer. In 2016, after he appeared in the SBS Fantastic Duo Lee Soo-young episodes, he drew attention with his voice and bright talent. He then signed an exclusive contract with his current label, Mulgogi Music, and has been pursuing a career as a singer since.
In 2020, he appeared in TV Chosun’s reality show titled Mr. Trot. As a great return in the music and advertising industries, he earned the title Mr. Trot and became the winner of the show. Since then, he has released songs in a variety of genres that aren’t even related to trot.
Please give a listen to Im Young-woong’s debut songs, here:
Im Young Woong’s Discography
Im Young-woong has been releasing digital singles since 2016. His first works are “Hate You” and “Shower”, which become his debut singles. On January 2nd, 2017, he released “What’s So Important?” as a digital single. He released his third single, “Elevator,” on March 28th, 2018. However, “Elevator” got a re-arrangement and was released with another title, “Not by Stairs, but by Elevator”. At the end of the year 2018, he released a collaboration medley album with fellow trot singer Park Seo-jin. The song was titled “Newness of Trot.”
In 2020, he released two digital singles “Trust in Me” and “HERO”. “Trust in Me” was released on April 3rd, 2020. The song was written by Kim Eana and composed by Cho Young-soo. The song was also released in an instrumental version. Fun fact: the song was produced as a one-of-a-kind gift to Im Young-woong as the winner of Mr. Trot.
The song also reached the top 20 singles, debuted at number 20 on the South Korean Gaon Digital Chart, and later peaked at number 11, becoming his commercial success in his own country. On November 4th, 2020, Im Young-woong released a promotional single titled “HERO” which is a collaboration with SsangYong Motor. The song debuted on the Gaon Digital Chart at number 10 and peaked at number 7.
On March 9th, 2021, he released the single “My Starry Love”. The song was written by one of South Korea’s most well-known trot singer-songwriters, Seol Woon-do. The song entered the top of the major real-time music charts in Korea upon its release.
Im Young-woong’s Music Video
Im Young Woong’s Awards
Im Young-woong has won many awards in various categories. He has received many popular awards, such as Best Trot Singer, Best Trot Award, Popularity Award, Song of the Year, Music video of the Year, Grand Prize – Trot of the Year (Daesang), Grand Prize – Artist of the Year (Daesang), Digital Bonsang (Main Prize), and many more.
Take a look at the list of his winning categories, here:
- 2015 Pocheon Citizen Singing Contest, Excellence Prize with “What’s Wrong with My Age?”
- 2015 Inet TV Youth Trot Singing Contest of the First Half Year, Golden Prize
- 2016 Korea Sings, Excellence Prize with “If You Smile, You’ll Get Younger,
If You Get Angry, You’ll Only Get Older”
- 2020 Mr. Trot, Ranked 1st of 17,000 participants
- 2020 4th Soribada Best K-Music Awards: Main Prize (Bonsang) and Trot Popularity Award
- 2020 18th Brand of the Year Awards: Advertising Model (Male) and Trot Singer (Male)
- 2020 Trot Awards: Best New Artist (Male), K-Trotainer Award, Global Star Award, Trot Singer Award Voted by Teenagers, Digital Star Award, Popularity Award (Male)
- 2020 11th Korean Popular Culture and Arts Awards: Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation
- 2020 5th Asia Artist Awards: Grand Prize – Trot of the Year (Daesang), Popularity Award (Trot), AAA Hot Issue Award (Music)
- 2020 12th Melon Music Awards: Top 10 Artists (Bonsang), Best Trot Award with “Trust in Me”
- 2020 3rd Genie Music Awards: Grand Prize – Artist of the Year (Daesang), Best Trot Track with “Trust in Me”
- 2020 Mubeat Awards, Song of the Year “Trust in Me”
- 2021 18th Korea First Brand Awards, Best Trot Singer
- 2021 30th Seoul Music Awards: Best Trot Award, Popularity Award
In 2020, based on Gallup Korea, a poll of Koreans every year, Im Young-woong was selected as Best Artist of the Year. He was selected along with boy group BTS.