Not Only Beauty, but Brain as Well: Hani of EXID
Ahn Hee-yeon, more commonly known as Hani, is a singer and entertainer belonging to Banana Culture Entertainment in a girl group called EXID. Prior to her debut with EXID in 2012, she was originally set to debut as a member of a girl group under JYP Entertainment, however she was cut from JYP after one year. She was considered the second voice of EXID during her debut days, and along with Solji she formed the sub-unit Dasoni in 2013, which produces music more vocal oriented than EXID’s main releases.
We know well that it may take a while for an idol group to reach success despite releasing song after song with awesome choreography. After spending almost three years doing poorly as idols, EXID’s song Up & Down did wonders and slowly gained popularity thanks to a fancam video of Hani that went viral. Since then, Hani gained her fame through many offers to appear on various shows. She’s also been crowned as a smart idol after she proved her intelligence in math and English on several shows!
Full Profile of EXID’s Hani
Birth Name : Ahn Hee-yeon (안희연)
Stage Name : Hani (하니) (哈妮)
Nicknames : Brain, Honey, Mrs. Puff, Heroine, Ahn Hyung
Position : Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Face of the Group
Sub-Unit : Dasoni
Birthday : May 1, 1992
Place of Birth : Seoul, South Korea
Hometown : Seoul, South Korea
Nationality : South Korean
Star Sign : Taurus
Chinese Zodiac Sign : Monkey
Height : 168 cm (5’6″)
Weight : 50 kg (110 lbs)
Blood Type : AB
Languages : Korean, Chinese, English
Instruments : Clarinet, Guitar
Hobbies : Taking selfies, Reading
Siblings : One younger brother
Education : Daewang Middle School, Jiri High School, Global Cyber Univesity
Instagram : @ahnhani_92
Hani’s Weight Loss
Hani is known by netizens and fans to have one of the best bodies in the K-pop industry. Although Hani isn’t as curvy as Junghwa, a fellow member of EXID, she still has wonderful proportions by having an athletic body type. Despite this, Hani once stated that one time she ate so much unhealthy food, she ended up gaining over 9kg (20lbs) over an extremely short period of time. She began to worry that she was too fat and started extreme diets to lose weight.
On JTBC’s Please Take Care of My Refrigerator on October 2015, Hani said that she really loves flavorful foods because her sense of taste is more dulled compared to others. She also appalled everyone with her confession that she can eat three to four servings of meat on her own. On the show, Hani explained that when she’s on a diet, she only eats a pretzel for dinner.
Meanwhile on SBS’s Choi Hwa Jung’s Power Time, Hani opened up about her rigorous diet right before EXID’s comeback (Hot Pink). The singer said that while preparing for the album release, she lost around 9 kg of weight by having little portions of meals everyday. After this, however, her face looked disfigured, so she gained another 2-3 kg because her skin had become badly damaged. Fortunately, Hani has since gained her weight back by eating healthier, and now she looks better than ever!
EXID’s Hani: Legendary Fancam
The song Up & Down was released in February of 2013, and initially charted poorly and failed to make it onto the top. That is, until the song slowly gained popularity in early October after a fan-recorded video of Hani performing the song went viral on Korean social networking websites. Due to this sudden success, EXID returned to several music programs to promote and continue their career as a successful girl group.
In the fancam, Hani was seen recognizing the fan who recorded the video. She looked into the camera, waved, and sent her gratitude. Throughout the video, Hani can be seen looking again and again to the camera and smiling. The idol admitted that when she first saw the fancam’s views, she thought its popularity was “amazing.” She also revealed that her friends feel a little awkward watching her dance like she does in the video, adding that they find it so funny that it is difficult to watch.
The uploader, Pharkil, previously declined a dinner invite from EXID to thank him for recording the famous fancam. Yet, in the end, Hani finally got the chance to personally thank the uploader when she spotted him again recording her from the audience during a performance.
Hani’s Make Up Routines
Hani is definitely at the top of the girl crush lists. She is known for being pretty, sexy, and smart. She’s chill and down-to-earth off stage, but slays with her alluring charisma on stage! Hani is also well-known for her white and translucent skin that contributes to her pure image.
It was revealed through the October 26, 2017 broadcast of tvN’s The List 2015 that her best skin care tip to prevent dry skin is to never turn on the heater. She also revealed that she uses her own DIY essence, by mixing a toner, three different essences, and a facial oil.
Meanwhile in 2016, on the show Style For You, she shared her secret daily makeup routine. Here’s her step-by-step recipe to getting natural, yet gorgeous makeup!
- In order to have a flawless look, you have to have a strong foundation. She usually starts off her makeup routine with a green tinted base. She chose green because her face is a little darker than the rest of her body, so she brightens her skin tone with a green shaded base. Next comes the foundation. Hani prefers an all-in-one cushion that she can simply dab on her face in one step. She makes sure that her cushion offers sun protection, coverage, and oil-prevention.
- The important trick for eyes is simplicity. Hani only uses a shadow pencil to shade in the end wings of her eyes, and then makes the line bolder with a liquid eyeliner. To add the finishing touch, she uses mascara to give her eyes a boost. Hani prefers to use a shade of brown for all of her eye makeup, but make sure you choose a color that matches your hair color.
- A highlight of Hani’s daily makeup routine is a tint of blush on her cheeks. Hani prefers a cream blusher that she can dab onto her cheeks to give her a bright and innocent look.
- Next, accentuate the V-Line. Hani already has a perfect v-line, but she accentuates her best feature by shading in the sides of her face. According to her, contouring applies best while smiling.
- The last step to Hani’s daily makeup routine is her lips. She doesn’t have a specific lip color or cream that she prefers, but she has always been known to dabble in highlight colored glosses. Apply your choice of lip color and dab along the inside of your lips to give it a slight gradation effect.
Hani of EXID: Filmography
Hani’s jump in popularity after her initial fancam was influenced by her appearances on many shows afterwards. She appeared on various shows as a guest, co-host, and even as a regular cast! Because of this, Hani has succeeded in appealing to many viewers with her innocent and tomboyish personality, leading not only boys but also girls to fall in love with her.
Crime Scene Season 2 is a crime and mystery themed variety show which reenacts actual murders that have taken place before in real life, and it was one of Hani’s best performances as a main cast. Hani, as one of the players, surprised viewers with her amazing investigative abilities, completely immersing herself into gathering the clues to solve the murder. It appears that she was also there as comedic relief as well, and you can see her goofy and sloppy personality clearly right away from the first episode of the show.
|2014||Always Cantare||tvN||Main cast|
|A Style For You||KBS2||Cast member||With Yoon Bo-ra, Gu Hara and Kim Heechul|
|Soulmates Returns||MBC Every 1||Main cast|
|Law of the Jungle in Nicaragua||SBS||Episodes 178–180|
|2016||Baek Jong-won’s Three Great Emperors||Co-host||Episodes 22–51|
|We Are Siblings||KBS2||Cast||with her younger brother|
|King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant||as “Be Careful for Cold the Little Match Girl” (Episodes 47–48)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every 1||Host||Episodes 245–270|
|2017||Suddenly A Millionaire||Olive|
|Law of the Jungle in Komodo||SBS||Main cast||Episodes 274–278|
TV Series and Others
- KBS2’s The Producers – as herself (2015)
- Lunar New Year special ‘Gold Medal Duty’ (February 10th, 2016)
- My Love – Mongsil Sisters (MV/2009)
- We Got The World – R.Tee (MV/2014)
- Fire – Mad Clown (MV/2015)
- YOU – Seul Ong (MV/2017)
- Clash Of Kings (CF/2015)
- KFC Okonomi on The Chicken (CF/2017)
- 《호텔스컴바인》 – PR Advertising (CF/2017)
- Jian food 《지앤푸드》 Grilled Chicken Ribs (CF/2017)
Discography of EXID’s Hani
Hani takes an important role in the vocal line of EXID, and back in the day she used to have the most singing parts just after Solji in the group, something that was later changed due to Hyerin becoming the group’s second voice. Despite the fact that Hani is a part of a group, it turns out that she has also released several songs outside of EXID’s activities after becoming big (thanks to her legendary fancam). Here’s a list of the songs :
- “Cold” (with C-Clown) – 2012
- “We Got The World” (with R.Tee) – 2014
- “Fake Illness” (with Rare Potato) – 2015
- “Gap” (with Ken) – 2015
- “Honey Bee” (with f(x)’s Luna and Mamamoo’s Solar) – 2015
Dating Rumors of EXID’s Hani
JYJ’s Junsu and EXID’s Hani were confirmed to be dating on January 1st, 2016. Dispatch released photos of the two on dates and reported that Junsu and Hani had been dating for six months. The couple usually had dates in Junsu’s or his manager’s apartments. Junsu, who was attracted to Hani, is said to have approached her first. Their friends say that he fell for her beauty inside and out as Hani is renowned to be one of the nicest girls in the music idol industry. It was also said that the two are very different in personalities, as Hani is a bit boyish and rowdy while Junsu is more sensitive and delicate.
They were photographed together at Han River on December 1 in Junsu’s Aston Martin 007. Junsu sat in the driver’s seat and Hani in the passenger seat. They were also spotted spending time together in October and November. Hani and Junsu reportedly also spent Christmas Eve together, and Hani gave Junsu a Christmas present. Hani revealed that she was so nervous, she took anxiety pills after the dating news broke.
Unfortunately, on September 13th, EXID’s agency Banana Culture told media outlets that the two had broken up, though they couldn’t confirm the exact timing of their separation. It seems the two naturally went their separate ways because of their busy schedules.
After the news about the break up, many netizens and viewers criticized Hani for being unprofessional by unreasonably crying on shows like Star King and Seoul Music Awards. Many noted that it was simply not the perfect timing for the singer to have to appear on television. As Hani still couldn’t control her emotions and was overly sensitive, many netizens told her to take some time to organize her thoughts and rest.
Facts and Trivia About Hani
- Hani has a pet cat named Fati.
- Her brother Ahn Tae Hwan acted in Im Chang Jung’s new music video for the title track “Do You Know That Person.” In the music video, he portrays a man who finds out that his lover is cheating on him. Despite this appearance being his first formal acting experience, viewers were impressed with his anguished acting. He’s now officially an actor.
- Her dad graduated from Sungkyunkwan University, and her mom from Yonsei University.
- One of Hani’s nicknames is Ahn Burp because she always burps at the dinner table.
- Initially, Hani was supposed to be a part of JYP Entertainment, but she claimed the company did not see any potential in her. She was trained to be in a group with former SISTAR’s Hyolyn, former BESTIE’s Uji, and former SECRET’s Jieun. After she was let go, she decided to study abroad in China, where she was considered to be a brilliant student.
- While in middle school, Hani took several tests testing her IQ, which showed her as having an IQ higher than 145.
- She wanted to study and become a psychologist, but turned to singing instead.
- Her fancam video that made EXID famous has over 25 million views on YouTube (it’s the most viewed k-pop fancam of all time).
- Hani had a deal with her mother: if EXID failed in three years, her mother would send her away to study (Up & Down was released three years after their debut).
- Before the big hit Up & Down, Hani used to eat ramen all day. She claimed there was nothing else to do because they didn’t have many schedules to attend to.
- Together with Solji, she is a part of Dasoni, a sub-unit of EXID.
- Hani loves to read manhwa books, and claims to have once read them for eight hours straight.
- She loves to write down daily notes including what she ate, her weight, and mistakes her manager makes.
- She has a boyish and friendly character, but she is shy with strangers. She also doesn’t have a lot of celebrity friends.
- She likes to sit with her legs open.
- She is quite athletic due to her competitiveness in sports.
- During her childhood days, Hani liked to compete in triathlons in elementary school, something that her mother also thought would make Hani more obedient. She was also an avid swimmer.
- Hani has said she’s never had any cosmetic surgery, but considered doing her nose at one point before her mother was against it.
- She has a wide forehead, which is her complex.
- She always curls her bangs so they son’t stick to her forehead.
- Hani is the second shortest member of EXID, after Hyerin.
- Her hair style changes frequently for every comeback with EXID.
- She is allergic to hairy animals.
- Her favorite color is turquoise.
- Her favorite food is meat and marinated grilled beef intestines.
- Her favorite fruit is melon.
- Her motto : Amor fati.
- Her fun club name is ‘L.E.G.O’.
- Her shoe size is 24.0 cm.
- Her role model is Shinhwa.
- Hani’s ideal type: Kang Ha Neul (stated on Master Key).