Learn More About GP Basic’s Youngest Member Byun Seung-mi a.k.a Janey, Here!
In this article, there’s a piece of detailed information about one of the members of GP Basic who is also the youngest member and has gotten quite an active promotion and has appeared in several survival shows. Without waiting any longer, let’s find out more about GP Basic’s Janey’s full profile, fun facts, and debut era, in this article below.
GP Basic’s Janey’s Profile
Real Name: Byun Seung-mi (Hangul: 변승미)
Stage Name: Janey (Hangul: 제이니), formerly J.Ney
Place and Date of Birth: Yeonsu-gu, Incheon, South Korea, October 14th, 1996
Star Sign: Sagittarius
Height: 166 cm (5’5″)
Weight: 48 kg (105 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Position in the group: Main Rapper, Maknae
- Jungang Elementary
- Incheon Yeonsu Middle School
- Hanlim Multi Arts High School
Official Site: Twitter (@bsm12144)
GP Basic’s Janey Fun Facts
- GP Basic’s Janey was 11 when she debuted
- GP Basic’s Janey was a guest member of D-UNIT
- GP Basic’s Janey has acted in What Is Mom?, The Queen’s Classroom, and The Producers
- GP Basic’s Janey has appeared in The Last Audition of My Life, Unpretty Rapstar 3, and The Unit
- GP Basic’s Janey won first prize for the BBQ Olive Model Contest in 2007
- GP Basic’s Janey had to eat a lot of cursing from antis who were against the overly young girl group
- GP Basic’s Janey has suffered from vocal chord nodules
- GP Basic’s Janey was loved by the judges during her appearance in the KBS2 Last Audition Of My Life and showed outstanding rapping skills compared to her young age, and became a member of a girl group again
- GP Basic’s Janey was the lowest-ranked female rapper in the contest on Mnet’s Unpretty Rapstar 3. The rule was for the lowest-ranking female rapper to choose a deathmatch opponent from among the low-ranking female members except for herself
GP Basic’s Janey’s Debut Era
Byun Seung-mi, also known as Janey, debuted in 2008 as a member of the mixed children’s group Sweetie. In both groups, she took the position of rapper. In 2010, she made her debut in a girl group called GP Basic. GP Basic were the youngest girl group in Korea at the time, and Janey was the youngest member of the girl group.
In 2014, she returned to GP Basic and released the album Beep Beep and then she left GP Basic to become an actress. She once signed a contract with Loen Entertainment and was preparing for her debut, but it was canceled when she left Loen to prepare for another activity.
As you can see from her activities, she was only 18 years old as of 2017, and had to go through a crazy and tumultuous life. She has joined three different groups that have failed so far, and in the middle of her career journey, she also worked as a child actress and returned as a singer again.
In addition, there are so many girl group members who were active at that time when many anti-fans sent their hate comments towards GP Basic because they were still very young.
GP Basic’s Janey then had a chance to promote individually in some survival show. In the end, she left the previous agency and signed a contract with MBK Entertainment after showing no significant result.
It is not known whether she graduated from Hanlim Arts High School in early 2017 and went on to college. She appeared in the web variety show Girls Who Shout, and in 2017, she appeared in the KBS audition program Idol Rebooting Project – The Unit. It is her fourth audition challenge since her debut in 2008. However, she was eliminated at number 43 in the 10th week (19–20 Episode) broadcast on January 6th, 2018.
After Janey’s appearance in The Unit, she ended her contract with MBK Entertainment. Since then, there has been no news, except on May 26th, 2021, an Instagram account was created and occasionally updated, but the account was deleted on September 12th.