Being A Successful Boy Group Under JYP Entertainment, This Is What You Need To Know About GOT7!
GOT7 is a boy group formed by one of the biggest agencies in South Korea, JYP Entertainment. This group consists of 7 members namely JB, Mark, Jackson, Jinyoung, Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom. GOT7 made their official debut on January 14th, 2014, with Got It? as their first mini-album. In this article, Channel-Korea will provide you with a rundown of everything you need to know about GOT7 members and each of their personalities. So, stay tuned!
Although not the oldest member of the group, Im Jae-bum or commonly known as JB, is the leader of GOT7. He was born on January 6th, 1994, in Goyang, South Korea. Before debuting with GOT7, JB’s dream initially was to become a professional breakdancer. He once revealed that the loneliness he felt naturally vanished when he started dancing. He was found by JYP in the restroom at a breakdance competition. He first met Jinyoung at the JYP open audition where they became a team and ranked first out of 10,000 participants.
After becoming a trainee, he began to like singing as much as he liked dancing. In an interview, he said, “Dancing is a part of my life and I really like singing.” After 2 years and 6 months as a trainee at JYP Entertainment, he debuted through the drama Dream High 2 and the JJ Project duo with Jinyoung before becoming a member of GOT7.
In 2015, the fifth episode of Hard Carry, a psychologist examined the personalities of GOT7 members and saw their hidden potential through missions and assessment tests. Psychologist Kim Dong-cheol observed the members and their reactions to situations that occur without the knowledge of the seven members. After the assessment, Kim Dong-cheol gave his evaluation results of each member starting with JB. “I believe he will be the best leader among idol groups.” According to Kim Dong-cheol, while many other members of GOT7 can be leaders, he moves to see the big picture and manage the situation well.
Fun Facts About JB
- JB was born in Goyang, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
- He has no siblings.
- His parents divorced because of his father’s drinking problems and he remained with his mother and stepfather. (Hello Counselor)
- He has an elegant personality.
- He looks cold or tough to people who don’t know him.
- He became a JYP Entertainment trainee in 2009, after winning first place in the JYP Open Audition (he shared his place with Jinyoung).
- He was a trainee for two and a half years before his debut.
- He attended Sewon High School, then majored in Film at Geonguk University.
- He can speak Japanese.
- His favorite foods are Soondubu Jjigae (soft spicy tofu stew) and Budae jjigae (sausage stew).
- He doesn’t like fried food.
- His favorite color is gray.
- His favorite films are Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Midnight in Paris.
- His hobbies are watching movies, taking pictures, traveling, eating out, collecting shoes.
- JB’s favorite sports are Basketball and Football.
Mark Yi-En Tuan or better known as Mark Tuan or Mark, is the oldest member of GOT7. Mark was born on September 4th, 1993, in Los Angeles with an American-Taiwanese nationality. Mark was discovered in 2010 by JYP Entertainment when he was hanging out with friends at his US school.
He then passed the audition by singing Eminem’s song “When I’m Gone” and officially became a trainee in August 2010. Mark said that he was not really interested in K-Pop until he finally received the opportunity to appear on the showcase as a trainee. After three and a half years of training, he debuted as a member of GOT7.
Still in the same program, the oldest member, Mark scored 13% in the introverted index and only 2% in the extroverted index. “He has the ability to think big because he thinks many things,” said Kim Dong-cheol. Kim Dong-cheol described Mark as a wise, calm member, having a great mind and overall concentration on everything. He was also chosen as someone who played an indispensable role in the world.
Fun Facts About Mark
- Mark was born in Los Angeles, California, USA
- Family: mother, father, 2 sisters, and a younger brother.
- He lived in Brazil and Paraguay for several years.
- He is fluent in English.
- He used to speak Portuguese but has now forgotten a lot.
- He can understand Mandarin and speak a little, but he is not fluent.
- He became a JYP Entertainment trainee in August 2010.
- His roommate used to be Jackson.
- When he shares a room with Jackson, they often speak in their “own language” a mixture of Korean, English, and Mandarin.
- His nickname is Little Chicken because he was born in the year of the Big Chicken.
- Mark is the main rapper and vocalist of GOT7. He is also in charge of martial arts tricks.
- Mark is the best in Martial Arts Tricking at GOT7.
- His favorite food is hamburgers and meat.
- Mark likes soup.
- He likes horror films.
- His favorite color is red.
Jackson Wang is the lead rapper of GOT7. Jackson was born on March 28th, 1994, in Hong Kong. Jackson was born into a family of athletes. Jackson’s mother is a former gymnast and his father is a fencing coach, both of whom were members of the national team, so Jackson naturally tended to exercise from a young age. He began practicing fencing at the age of 10. He showed talent in fencing and won first place in junior-level competitions.
Around the end of 2010, Jackson was audited by JYP Entertainment while playing basketball at school. He was ranked first among 2,000 participants in the JYP Entertainment international audition. However, his parents could not agree with Jackson becoming a singer because he was preparing for the London Olympics. After much debate, his parents decided to let him pursue his dream on condition he had to win the next fencing competition. As a result, he won 2 gold medals in Asian international competitions, ranked No. 11 in the world ranking and No. 1 in Asia. Jackson moved to Korea in July 2011 to begin his trainee term and officially debut as a member of GOT7 on January 16th, 2014.
Jackson, on the one hand, is very open and relaxed. The extrovert index is 12% while the introvert index is only 3%. Kim Dong-cheol commented, “Because he is interested in various fields, he is very smart.” However, he also said others might see Jackson’s enthusiasm too excessive.
Fun Facts About Jackson
- Jackson was born in Hong Kong.
- Family: mother, father, one brother.
- Attended an American International School, and finished up to 11th grade.
- Personality: serious but cheerful, never giving up to get what he really wants.
- He is the most friendly and most open member of GOT7.
- Former member of the fencing national team in Hong Kong.
- Has been practicing fencing since he was 10 years old.
- Led his fencing team to the 2010 National Youth Olympics, but lost.
- In 2011, Jackson won first place in the Asian Junior and Cadet Fencing Championship.
- Both of his parents are professional athletes.
- Shio: Wolf/Dog.
- His mother, Zhou Ping, is a gold medalist in the World Gymnastics Championships.
- His father, Wang Rui-ji, is a former Hong Kong National Fencing Team coach.
- Having ADHD as a child, Jackson said that he still has it, but not as bad as when he was a child. (Let Go of My Baby Season 3 Ep. 1)
- Became a JYP Entertainment trainee on July 3rd, 2011.
- Was a trainee for two and a half years.
- Before his debut, he participated in Mnet’s Who Is Next (W.I.N) (2013).
- His first screen name was J-Flawless during the W.I.N era. Now his nickname is Mandu or Wild & Sexy.
- Also known as Wang Gae or Wang Puppy.
- Jackson is a member of GOT7 who attends the most variety shows.
- In 2014, he won an SBS Entertainment Award in the Best Male Rookie Variety Award category.
- Participated in the second season of Roommate.
- Jackson is proficient in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean. He can also speak Japanese, and French (basic), and a little Thai.
- Education: Completed 11th grade at the American International School in Hong Kong.
Park Jin-young or better known as Jinyoung, is the vocalist in GOT7. Jinyoung was born on September 22nd, 1994, in Jinhae-gu, Changwon, South Korea. When he debuted, his stage name was Jr. because he has the same name as JYP Entertainment founder, Park Jin-young. On May 20th, 2015, he changed his name to Junior due to fan and media confusion about correct pronunciation. However, since August 16th, 2016, he officially changed it to his real name, Park Jin-young.
Jinyoung has dreamed of becoming a celebrity since childhood. He began to learn to dance, but during the first three months he was not serious about doing it. Seeing this, his father told him that he would not be able to succeed. Although his feelings were hurt, those words actually motivated him to try harder. After 3 months of rigorous training, Jinyoung finally developed pretty good dancing skills. He was later selected at the JYP Entertainment audition and debuted through acting in the drama Dream High 2 in 2011 followed by the single “Bounce” as a member of the JJ Project duo with JB in May 2012.
Kim Dong-cheol noted Jinyoung’s calmness, attention, and good education. “He takes care of others and reduces their mistakes,” Kim Dong-cheol commented.
Fun Facts About Jinyoung
- Jinyoung was born in Jinhae-gu, Changwon City, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea.
- Family: mother, father, 2 sisters.
- His astrological sign is Libra and his Chinese sign is Dog.
- Personality: serious, agile, thinking a lot.
- He went to Yongwon Elementary School, Angolpo Middle School, and then Kyunggi Middle School. Junior then majored in Performance at Howon University.
- He became a JYP Entertainment trainee in 2009.
- Contracted for first place with JB at the 2009 JYP Open Auditions.
- He was a trainee for two years and six months before debuting.
- He acted with JB in KBS2’s Dream High 2, as well as in the drama When a Man Loves.
- His favorite drama of all time is IRIS. He bought all the episodes and secretly watched them in class in middle school. (VliveCH +)
- He starred in the web series Dream Knight along with fellow GOT7 members in 2015.
- He has acted in several Korean dramas: Dream High 2 (2012), When a Man Loves (2013), My Love Eun-Dong (2015), Legend of the Blue Sea (2017), He Is Psychometric (2019), etc.
- Jinyoung acted in a JYP Entertainment drama titled Magic School (2017) along with 2PM’s Nichkhun and Park Yoon.
- His favorite foods are hamburgers, pizza, and all types of meat.
- His favorite color is white.
- His hobbies are watching movies, watching theater plays, walking around, playing the piano.
- His favorite films are: romance, comedy, horror.
- His favorite artists are: Justin Timberlake, Usher, Michael Buble.
- His favorite type of music: Soul R&B music, Jazz.
- His motto: he doesn’t have one, but his favorite quote is: “Only 1” is better than “Number 1.”
- Besides Korean, he is fluent in Japanese and speaks English very well.
Choi Young-jae or better known as Youngjae, is the main vocalist of GOT7. Youngjae was born on September 17th, 1996, in Mokpo, South Korea. Youngjae loved singing with his older brother from childhood. When his brother went to the military, he decided to enter the music academy to study music more deeply.
Just as he hoped that there were people who knew about his music, the academy held a private JYP Entertainment audition. After passing the audition, Youngjae became a trainee for a month and practiced for 6 months before finally becoming a member of GOT7 and debuting.
Youngjae’s results show a balanced introvert and extrovert. He has got a good rating. The results also reveal the potential in work that requires observation and accuracy such as a psychologist or therapist. “After you decide to do something, you will do the work until the end,” Kim Dong-cheol added.
Fun Facts About Youngjae
- Youngjae was born in Mokpo, Jeollanam-do, South Korea.
- Family: mother, father, 1 brother, and 1 sister.
- Personality: cheerful, bright.
- His nickname is Genius or Sunshine.
- His astrological sign is Virgo, and his Chinese zodiac is a rat.
- He attended Muntae Middle School and then Seoul Korea Arts High School.
- Youngjae graduated from high school in 2014.
- He wanted to major in Theater and Film at Seokyeong University, but he quit because there were too many exams and he didn’t have time.
- He moved to the Model major at Taekyung University (same as Yugyeom).
- Before debuting he liked/used to sing with his brother.
- He became a JYP Entertainment trainee starting in the summer of 2013.
- He joined GOT7 after only 7 months of training.
- He is the last member to join GOT7.
- He is known as a serious and hard-working person.
- On his SoundCloud account, “ARS”, he posted songs composed and written in private.
- He wrote and composed the song “Rewind” for the album Flight Log: Departure by GOT7.
- He wrote the song “Sick” and wrote and composed the song “HEY” for the album Flight Log: Turbulence by GOT7.
- Youngjae wrote and composed the song “Sign” for the album Flight Log: Arrival by GOT7.
- Youngjae also wrote and composed “Moon U” for 7for7.
- He can speak Korean and Japanese.
- Favorite artist: Elliot Yamin, Javier.
- His motto: “Practice as much as you sleep.”
- His hobby is playing the piano.
- His favorite film is Frozen.
- His favorite color is red.
- His favorite sport is soccer.
- His favorite type of music: Ballad and R&B.
- His favorite item is the Buddhist rosary.
- His role model: Javier.
- His favorite food is everything except cucumbers.