Everything You Need To Know About GOT7’s Main Rapper Mark Tuan
GOT7 is a boy group that debuted under JYP Entertainment in 2014 with the single “Girls Girls Girls,” successfully becoming the next generation of K-Pop group and bringing the Hallyu wave around the world well. In addition, one of the members of GOT7, Mark Tuan, is a member from outside South Korea who has several experiences of living in various parts of the world.
He is a member who has descended from a Taiwanese family but also lives in America. He has also lived with his family in Brazil and Paraguay for several years. Thus, GOT7’s Mark has indeed become one of the many international members who have many fans.
He is also the charming point of the visuals and often shows his talents as well as his ability to dance, sing, and rap. If you don’t know much about GOT7’s Mark, just scroll down to see more information about Mark Tuan’s profile, solo activity, pre-debut story, and his latest news!
Birth Name: Tuan Yi Eun (段宜恩)
Stage Name: Mark (Hangul: 마크)
English Name: Mark Tuan
Korean Name: Dong Yi Eun (Hangul: 동의은)
Place and Date of Birth: Los Angeles, California, U.S.A, September 4th, 1993
Star Sign: Virgo
Height: 175 cm
Weight: 59 kg
Blood Type: A
Education: Arcadia High School – 10th-grade certificate
Position: Main Rapper, Vocalist, also in charge of Martial Arts tricks
Official Sites: Instagram (@marktuan)
- GOT7’s Mark has the nickname Rooster because he was born in the year of the Rooster
- GOT7’s Mark’s family members are mother, father, two older sisters, and a younger brother
- GOT7’s Mark has a dog named Coco that he raised together with GOT7’s Youngjae
- GOT7’s Mark had no interest in becoming a singer when he was young and joined an audition because his school encouraged him to do so
- GOT7’s Mark is very close to his family and they often contact each other through social media
- GOT7’s Mark’s father is very popular among his fans because he’s a very supportive father
- GOT7’s Mark’s sister described him as shy, quiet, and reserved at first, but once you get to know him better, he’s actually an open person
- GOT7’s Mark’s favorite foods are soup, hamburger, and meat
- GOT7’s Mark is afraid of spiders
- GOT7’s Mark is very possessive according to GOT’s Jinyoung
- GOT7’s Mark’s hobbies are skateboarding and snowboarding
- GOT7’s Mark’s favorite artists are Chris Brown, Drake, ASAP Rocky, and Tyga
- GOT7’s Mark used to live in Brazil and Paraguay for a couple of years
- GOT7’s Mark is one of the members who is really fluent in English
- GOT7’s Mark can understand Mandarin and speak a little, but he’s not really fluent in it
- GOT7’s Mark used to speak Portuguese but has forgotten most of the language
- GOT7’s Mark is a former JYP trainee from August 2010
- GOT7’s Mark fought a lot with the other trainees including GOT7’s members because he was bad in Korean and DAY6’s Young K always translated the language for him
- GOT7’s Mark can talk quite a bit once he’s comfortable with other people according to Amber Liu and GOT7’s Jackson
- GOT7’s Mark and Jinyoung are the most proficient in Japanese according to GOT7’s JB
- GOT7’s Mark doesn’t say unnecessary things and plans carefully before taking an action according to GOT7’s Jackson and also other members
- GOT7’s Mark was very tanned when he first came to Korea since he used to regularly go to a beach in Los Angeles during summer
- GOT7’s Mark picked Jinyoung as the member who likes to take care of him the most
- GOT7’s Mark is very detailed and GOT7’s Bambam and Jinyoung would date Mark if they were girls
- GOT7’s Mark is a close friend of BTOB’s Peniel, BTS’ V, Amber Liu, and Monsta X’s Minhyuk
- GOT7’s Mark used to share a room with GOT7’s Jackson and they often spoke in mixed languages, such as English, Mandarin, and Korean to communicate with each other
- GOT7’s Mark likes to watch horror movies
- GOT7’s Mark favorite color is red
- GOT7’s Mark favorite fashion brand is BRATSON
- GOT7’s Mark’s brand cologne that he wears is by Ralph Lauren
- GOT7’s Mark becomes sad when not all GOT7 members can participate in a concert
- GOT7’s Mark becomes happy when he’s rapping
- GOT7’s Mark is the first member who returns quickly to the dorm after ending a schedule
- GOT7’s Mark used to play volleyball in High School and he is also a good swimmer
- GOT7’s Mark is a left-handed person, but his parents thought him to use his right hand, according to his parents
- GOT7’s Mark got teased a lot if he became suddenly a ‘quiet person’ in front of the camera
- GOT7’s Mark likes to tease GOT7’s Yugyeom a lot
- GOT7’s Mark likes to study Mathematics since it was his favorite subject during high school
- GOT7’s Mark has a scar on his right hand from falling on the icy road in January 2014
- GOT7’s Mark’s ring on his finger is a gift from his parents for his 20th birthday
- GOT7’s Mark wanted the group he was in to be called Flying Idols
- GOT7’s Mark is a quiet but supportive person according to GOT7 members, he mostly will think before acting, to the point, logical and doesn’t make careless remarks if he doesn’t agree with other members
- GOT7’s Mark becomes quiet if other members are very loud, but he also can be very energetic if the other members are tired
- GOT7’s Mark composed one song in the Flight Log: Departure album, titled “See The Light” (Hangul: 빛이나)
- GOT7’s Mark wrote and composed the songs titled “No Jam” (Hangul: 노잼) and “My Home,” which became part of the tracklist of the Flight Log: Turbulence album
- GOT7’s Mark is also very close to Jinyoung because he’s one of the members who helped him learn Korean
- GOT7’s Mark used to participate in KT Olleh CF in 2011
- GOT7’s Mark’s fan club’s name is Alluring Voice
- GOT7’s Mark wants to go hiking with a girl on his first date
- GOT7’s Mark raked on 82nd place on TC Candler’s The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2018
- GOT7’s Mark’s famous quote is, “Don’t diminish your progress just because it’s not perfect.”
- GOT7’s Mark’s ideal type is a woman who would make him want to stay with her.
As previously known from the fun facts section, Mark has been a trainee of JYP Entertainment since August 2010. Mark was discovered in 2010 by JYP Entertainment when he was hanging out with friends at his school in the US. He then passed the audition by singing Eminem’s song “When I’m Gone” and officially became a trainee in August 2010.
Mark said that he wasn’t really interested in K-Pop until he finally received the opportunity to appear at the showcase as a trainee. After three and a half years of training, he debuted as a member of GOT7.
Being a member who started at the same training period as BamBam, Mark was like a big brother to him. Pre-debut photos of the two of them also circulated widely on the internet in August 2017 where they showed BamBam’s height just reaching Mark’s shoulders.
After undergoing a trainee period together, Mark and Bambam who are different in age showed significant physical changes. Bambam, who was born in 1997, has grown tall, and now it seems that his height is the same as Mark, who is three years older than him.
Besides that, on February 10th, 2018, GOT7 was on a fan meeting tour titled Project Blur. At the event, one of Mark and BamBam’s pre-debut photos was shown and they posed exactly like in the photo. Because BamBam was no longer shorter than Mark, Mark got on a chair to look taller than BamBam. They also wear backpacks, scarves, and hold drink bottles to match the photo.
Apparently, the pre-debut photo was taken by Mark’s older sister who lives in Los Angeles. Via a post on Twitter, Mark’s brother reminisced about his first visit to Korea since Mark became a JYP Entertainment trainee.
I love seeing all these posts from #PROJECTBLUR. When I first went to Korea to visit @mtuan93 after he moved there to be a trainee, @BamBam1A was his first new friend that I met. I still remember taking that picture of the two of them back in 2010! 👋🏻 guys! 💞 pic.twitter.com/c4DCkrSzbX
— Tammy Chung (@lilbear1228) February 10, 2018
“I love seeing these posts from Project Blur,” wrote Mark’s sister. “When I first came to Korea to visit Mark after he moved there to become a trainee, BamBam was the first friend I met. I still remember taking that photo of the two of them in 2010! What was your first impression of BamBam?” asked a fan under the post. “He’s so cute and small! Very sweet,” replied Mark’s older sister.
Besides that, there are also things that loyal fans of GOT7 and also Mark can’t forget. The first time GOT7 members appeared was when they were: Mark, Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom, appeared in an episode of Mnet’s reality-survival program Who is Next: WIN, which aired on September 6th, 2013. In the episode, four members of GOT7 competed against YG Entertainment trainees Team A (now known as Winner) and Team B (now known as iKON).
At that time, the four of them introduced themselves as the JYP Dance Team and showed off their dancing talents in front of the two company leaders from JYP Entertainment and YG Entertainment. Apart from that, Mark also confidently showed his martial arts talent by tumbling on the sidelines of the choreography with the RnB background music. The four of them also collaborated by including breakdancing and b-boy moves among their dance moves.
Other than some of GOT7’s Mark’s pre-debut performances, let’s take a look at GOT7’s Mark’s visuals and performances before his debut as an idol and other pre-debut moments that you might not have known in the image collection below!
Debut with GOT7
On December 24th, 2013, JYP Entertainment announced that it would be debuting a new boy band in January 2014, coining the group as The Next 2PM. It was announced that the band would be a performance team specializing in martial arts tricking, which is a form of martial arts that fuses acrobatics and b-boying.
On January 1st, 2014, JYP Entertainment unveiled the group’s name to be GOT7. After that, members Mark and JB’s first image teasers were released on January 3rd, 2014. Teasers for Jackson and Yugyeom were released on January 6th, 2014, followed by Jr., Bambam, and Youngjae’s teasers on January 8th, 2014. JYP selected JB to be GOT7’s leader.
On January 10th, 2014, JYP released GOT7’s first debut teaser video on YouTube, followed by the second debut teaser video on January 13th, 2014. GOT7 were in action as high school students in this 1-minute-22-second video. Starting from JB, one by one the personnel appeared and acted with their own style.
On January 15th, 2014, GOT7 released a YouTube music video for their debut song “Girls, Girls, Girls.”
Their debut showcase, the Garage Showcase, was held that same day.
The group made their official debut on January 16th, 2014, performing “Girls, Girls, Girls” on Mnet’s M! Countdown.
Their single performed well on various music sites, where it reached number one. They had the second-highest debut for a boy group on Melon, South Korea’s most popular online music service. The group dropped their first EP Got It? on January 20th, 2014.
Their album shot up to number 1 spot on the Billboard World Album Charts and a respectable number 2 on the Gaon Album Charts. Days after their debut, GOT7 also arranged their own reality web show, Real GOT7.
You can watch Real GOT7 at the links below:
Got7 signed under the Sony Music sub-label Epic Records to pursue activities in Japan, and held a showcase titled GOT7 Showcase 1st Impact in Japan on April 4th, 2014, in Ryougoku Sumo Hall in Tokyo and 10,000 people were reported to attend the event.
The group opened the stage with “Hello” and “Girls Girls Girls.” They also performed an upgraded version of JJ Project’s “Bounce,” as well as “Playground,” “I Like You,” and “Follow Me.”
On April 10th, 2014, JYP Entertainment released the first teaser for the group’s reality show through SBS MTV titled I GOT7. Click the link below to watch all episodes of I GOT 7:
On May 9th, 2014, GOT7 uploaded a video that contained their announcement that GOT7’s official fan club name is I GOT7. According to them, the number seven was considered lucky and the fans now get to say they have all the seven members of the said boy group.
Having debuted at one of the giant K-Pop entertainment agencies, JYP Entertainment, GOT7 proved that they have a high potential for success. Yes, GOT7 managed to get the title as one of the best rookies of 2014. Releasing their debut song “Girls Girls Girls” from the mini-album GOT IT, GOT7 seems to be following in the footsteps of the success of their seniors 2PM.
Released on January 20th, 2014, “Girls Girls Girls” is now in the top 5 online K-Pop music charts such as Daum Music, Bugs, and Soribada. Even recorded on January 21st, 2014, the song was in the top 10 of the Genie and Naver Music charts.
As a new group at that time, GOT7 contained seven handsome teenage members namely JR, Youngjae, BamBam, Jackson, Yugyeom, Mark, and JB. Through what JYP Entertainment promised, GOT7 will put forward the concept of ‘martial arts’ in their appearance.
In July 2019, Mark performed the song “Outta My Head” at a fan meeting in Nanjing. While uploading the teaser photo, GOT7 personnel also wrote the release date, namely January 11th, 2020, on their Twitter account.
— Mark Tuan (@marktuan) January 8, 2020
The song was released on January 11th, 2020, via the Chinese music platform QQ Music, and received a response from fans shortly after, thus topping the charts.
Even though there is no music video displayed on YouTube, this song managed to steal the attention of I GOT7 and also Mark’s fans who are looking forward to his solo debut with the latest song. This song uses Mandarin Chinese in the lyrics and was also performed by Mark when he appeared at the fan meeting.
One of the members of GOT7 who comes from abroad gave a gift to his fans with one of the vocal performances released on his first Chinese digital single with song lyrics that tell about someone who still has their romantic stories hanging in the past. How can someone release his memory of his past lover? In the quote of the lyrics that say, “It’s obvious that you’ve left, but I’m still pretending that you’re here/Unable to escape, you remain in my head.”
Fans are, of course, very happy to get news of the release of “Outta My Head” by providing support to GOT7’s Mark by writing the hashtag #MarkTuan_OuttaMyHead on Twitter and immediately getting the highest spot on the worldwide trending list at that time, which was followed by another hashtag #MarkTuan1stChineseSingle.
These are all the latest news and also complete information about the profile of GOT7’s Mark. His pre-debut story and also his successful career as a member of GOT7 under JYP Entertainment prove that his hard work has really paid off and his success is well-deserved.
Their fans, I GOT7, also always support each of the members’ careers including solo activities by releasing individual singles that have won worldwide attention and appreciation. Let’s keep giving lots of support and love to GOT7’s Mark so that his career can get even better in the future!