Meet The Cool Rapper Soyeon From South Korean Girl Group (G)I-DLE
Soyeon has been known as a well-known South Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, composer, choreographer, and record producer. She is now a member of the girl group (G)I-DLE under Cube Entertainment.
Her journey throughout the music entertainment has been full of ups and downs. She is a hardworking person with a lot of dedication and persistence who has experienced a lot of setbacks and misfortune. Seyon began her journey when she started studying ballet as a child and succeeded in winning many competitions. She, later on, saw some Big Bag performances and was inspired to do the same as a singer. Soyeon decided to go to numerous auditions during elementary school, however, not any of them were successful.
Soyeon never lost hope to pursue her dreams, she focused on rapping and had the courage to still do auditions. This resolve of hers and the decision not to give up and keep on trying got her calls from many agencies. She let go of her dream to become a singer yet she directed her aspirations to another point that brought her to her original dream. She trained herself to dance, which she enjoyed very much since a little child. Soyeon saw the audition announcement from Cube Entertainment at Incheon in 2014 and tried her chance and she finally got accepted as a trainee.
Let’s get to know her in this Channel-Korea article! Stay tuned!
(G)I-DLE’s So-yeon’s Full Profile
Stage Name: Soyeon (소연)
Birth Name: Jeon So Yeon (전소연)
Position: Leader, Main Rapper, Sub Vocalist, Center
Date of Birth: August 26th, 1998
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Height: 157 cm (5’2″)
Weight: 45 kg (99 lbs)
Blood Type: B
– Soyeon joined Produce 101 and got ranked 20th in the last episode.
– Soyeon also joined Unpretty Rapstar 3 and managed to get 3rd rank.
– Soyeon was homeschooled and attended Kuryong Elementary School.
– She loves watching the anime One Piece.
– Soyeon loves to eat corn and tangerines but can’t eat vegetables.
– She is known for her ability to rap.
– She has an exceptional ability in singing and received a lot of compliments for a mission recording in PD101.
– Soyeon used to be a trainee for a year and a half in Cube Entertainment before joining PD101.
– Soyeon signed a contract with CUBE Entertainment around December 2016.
– She was introduced in CUBE TREE.
– Soyeon has been taking ballet lessons since she was a child.
– She debuted as a solo artist on November 5th, 2017, under Cube Entertainment with the lead track “JELLY” which was written, composed, and arranged by herself.
– Soyeon also contributed to the composing of a song in her debut album I AM.
– Soyeon wrote and produced the song “No” of CLC.
– Her favorite color is Yellow.
– Soyeon loves mint chocolate.
– “This Love” by G-Dragon is her audition piece song.
– Soyeon got influenced to be a singer after watching Bing Bang performances.
– She wrote, composed, arranged the song “HANN.”
– Miyeon from (G)I-DLE and Soyeon are roommates.
– SM Station X girl group project is one of the projects that Soyeon has participated in.
– Soyeon has also contributed to the League of Legends group called K/DA.
– Soyeon’s ideal type is Zoro from One Piece.
– Her MBTI is INTP.
Appearance In Mnet’s Produce 101
Soyeon participated in Produce 101 in Mnet when she was still a trainee in Cube Entertainment. She got ranked 20th, thus failing to debut as a member of I.O.I.
Apparently, she was quite popular throughout the show and peaked at 10th place in the fifth episode. Sadly, she couldn’t make it to the top. Nevertheless, Soyeon got her own way to debut and came back to her agency Cube Entertainment.
During Produce 101, Soyeon was receiving hatred comments about her visual. She expressed, “Whenever I see all the beautiful and doll-like trainees around me, I feel like they are completely different beings from someone like me.”
According to various sources, the comments that she received contained:
“She can definitely sing and is talented, but there’s an obvious reason why Cube Entertainment isn’t going to allow her to debut.”
“SoYeon is great, but it’s such a shame that her visuals are….”
“Why isn’t she eliminated yet? She doesn’t have the face of an idol I picture in a girl group.”
Later, she revealed being depressed and hurt, yet she kept going and proved that she is idol material!
Appearance in Mnet’s Unpretty Rapstar 3
Soyeon also appeared in a rap competition show tiled Unpretty Rapstar in July 2016. She got the second runner-up position and had the opportunity to be in three tracks on the final compilation album. Kudos, Soyeon!
Unpretty Rapstar 3 itself was held in 2016 and had the aim to focus on female rappers. This music show was the third session which started in 2015. The show was hosted by rapper and producer YDG and the winner was Giant Pink.
Soyeon again received some hate comments, the same as when she had joined Produce 101. She said honestly, “After reading those comments, it was always annoying to look at myself in the mirror.” But Soyeon is now experienced in it and has become untouchable since also her fans and netizens decided to defend her. She has put in hard work and has a winning mentality. Go, Soyeon!
Debut As A Member Of (G)I-DLE
Soyeon debuted as a member of (G)I-DLE on May 2nd, 2018. She signed the contract with Cube Entertainment as the main rapper. Soyeon is also contributed to writing the lyrics, music, and arrangements of the title track “Latata” and the comeback song “Hann.”
(G)I-DLE consists of six talented girls including, Miyeon, Minnie, Soojin, Yuqi, Shuhua, and the rapper Soyeon.
Performance as K/DA
Soyeon and another member of (G)I-DLE, Miyeon, collaborated with Jaira Burns and Madison Beer. They were approached by Riot Games. They became the virtual girl group K/DA which functions as part of the multiplayer online battle arena video game League of Legends.
Soyeon is the vocals for this virtual group and debuted with the title song “Pop/Stars” during the 2018 League of Legends World Championship on November 3rd. This song got massive views until 30 million views on YouTube with only five days and 100 million in one month. The single also became number one on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart.