Kim Hye-soo is one of the most successful actresses in South Korea. She has starred in more than 30 movies and 20 television dramas in her career. She is famous for being a Femme fatale in many production she’s in, and for her glamorous and confident image. She then become one of the A-listers in the South Korean film industry. What is Kim Hye-soo’s debut movie? Is she married? Let’s find out more about Kim Hye-soo!
Kim Hye-soo: Profile and Facts
- Name: Kim Hye-soo (김혜수)
- Chinese Name: 金慧秀
- Birthdate: September 5, 10970
- Birthplace: Busan, South Korea
- Height: 170cm
- Weight: 50kg
- Star sign: Virgo
- Blood type: A
- Talent agency: Hodu&U Entertainment
- Debut: 1986
- Education: Dongkuk University majoring in Drama-Cinema; Sung Kyun Kwan University (Graduate School)
- Interests: Music, reading, and photography
- Excels in: Taekwondo
- Kim Hye-soo has five siblings, including younger brothers actor Kim Dong Hyun and actor Kim Dong Hee.
- She is known for her ability to speak five languages: Korean, English, Spanish, Japanese, and Chinese.
- Kim has a Theater and Film degree from Dongguk University and a master’s degree in journalism and mass communications from Sungkyunkwan University. She also taught performing arts at Sungkyunkwan University as an adjunct professor in 2001.
- A controversial news story appeared in 2013, when Kim Hye-soo admitted to having plagiarized her master′s thesis “A Study on Actor Communication,” with parts copied verbatim from at least four different books. She apologized for her actions, and said that she was willing to forfeit her master’s degree.
- Kim Hye-soo debuted in the 1986 film “Ggambo” when she was a first year high school student.
- When she built her image as a glamorous and confident femme fatale in films “Hypnotized”, “The Red Shoes” and “Tazza: The High Rollers” she gained acting recognition and entered the Korean film industry A-list. This image lasted and became her charm up until now.
- She has starred in various film roles, such as a housewife who secretly dates a college student in “A Good Day to Have an Affair”, an unaffected aunt in “Shim’s Family”, a prostitute in “Eleventh Mom” and a bar singer in “Modern Boy”.
- She considers her collaboration with Han Suk-kyu in 2010 movie titled “Villain and Widow” as one of the highlights of her acting career.
- She said that she doesn’t mind looking unattractive for her role as a ruthless crime boss, with makeup artists adding age spots to her face, gray to her hair, and flab to her stomach and hips with prostheses for her role for “Coin Locker Girl” in 2015.
- In 2016, she made her drama comeback with tvN’s Signal, which was critically and commercially successful.
- Recently she’s been signed up to be the lead actress for IMF crisis drama, National Bankruptcy Day.
Is Kim Hye-soo Married?
Until now, Kim Hye-soo has not gotten married yet, even though she had a long-time relationship with fellow actor Yoo Hae-jin. Their relationship lasted for 5 years before they decided to break-up. They earned the nickname of “Beauty and the Beast Couple” couple in Korea, and many people still wish for them to get back together after their 2011 breakup.
Kim Hye-soo and Yoo Hae-jin met for the first time on the set of movie “Kick the Moon” in 2001, and became close in 2006 after appearing together in “Tazza: The High Rollers”. They’re started dating shortly thereafter. The couple broke up in the end due to family pressure and personality difference. The public still regretted this decision knowing that they both remain single until now.