All About Lee Jae-hwan a.k.a VIXX’s Ken!
VIXX is probably the first group you think of when the phrase ‘great physical figure’ comes up. Among the six members, the main vocalist Ken has already established himself as a next-generation vocalist and all-rounder entertainer. Alongside N (leader), Leo, Ravi, Hongbin, and Hyuk, the group was formed by Jellyfish Entertainment through the 2012 reality show MyDOL.
VIXX is predominantly known as a concept or performance group whose music, lyrics, choreography, and overall stage performances are crafted together to tell a story or concept. Netizens call the group ‘The Master of Performances’ because the group never disappoints with their electrifying aura on the stage. Also, as a talented idol in the industry, Ken has gotten involved in many projects outside his VIXX activities, such as doing musicals, song collaborations, dramas, etc. Keep on reading to get to know him well!
Lee Jae-hwan, better known by his stage name Ken, is the main vocalist and mood-maker of VIXX. Ken, who has been widely praised for his various skills, also has a well-loved nose which is known among fans. Check out his other charms in his full profile below!
Social Media & Website Links
- Twitter: @jaehwany0406
- Instagram: @keken_0406
- VIXX Official Fancafe: http://cafe.daum.net/RealVIXX/
- VIXX Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/RealVIXX
- VIXX Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RealVIXX
- VIXX Official Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealVIXX
- Stage Name: Ken (켄)
- Birth Name: Lee Jae-hwan (이재환)
- Occupation: Idol / Singer, Actor, Broadcaster
- Nationality: South Korean
- Position: Main Vocalist of VIXX
- Talent Agency: Jellyfish Entertainment
- Years Active: 2012 – Present
- Debut Date: May 24, 2012
- Place of Birth: Jayang-dong, Seoul, South Korea
- Date of Birth: April 6, 1992
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Monkey
- Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Height: 180 cm (5’11”)
- Weight: 65 kg (143 lbs)
- Blood Type: AB
- Siblings: 2 older brothers
- Religion: None (paganism)
- Languages: Korean
- Instruments: N/A
- Hobbies: Drawing, watching and studying gag shows, beatboxing
|Name of School||Hangul||Note|
|Shin Yang Elementary School||신양초등학교|
|Gwang Yang Middle School||광양중학교|
|Gwang Yang High School||광양고등학교|
|Woosuk University Performing Arts Musical Studies||우석대학교 공연예술뮤지컬학|
|Baek Suk University Faculty of Arts and Music Practical Musicology||백석대학교 문화예술학부 실용음악학 (편입)||Transfer|
Facts & Trivia
Growing up as the youngest of three siblings, it is no wonder that VIXX’s Ken never fails to amaze fans with his funny personality and charming skills. And, also, thanks to all the other members’ utmost efforts working as idols, VIXX has grabbed the top spot as one of the most popular boy groups in South Korea right now. But, have you ever wondered about Ken’s life before he debuted as an idol? Or, are you still curious about his other charms?
Early Life: Childhood & Pre-Debut
- He studied Japanese in Japan.
- Instead of singing lessons, he learned singing from his brother. He wanted to become a singer because he saw someone singing in a drama and thought “I want to do that!”, so he went to a karaoke to see if he could sing the song. He got high praise from his friends and thought “I can do it, I can be that person”.
- Apparently, he wasn’t very popular in a co-ed school but was popular in an all-boys class. The girls all ignored him.
- He worked in Lotteria for 9 months before debut. When he made an appearance on The Capable Ones, when hamburgers came out on the set, he knew the hamburgers were coming from Lotteria.
- He won a singing competition and gave the prize money to his mom.
- He has won many singing competitions in high school, and he was featured in an audition for his excellent singing ability, making his debut in a relatively short period of time. But, he had to do a lot of training and put in a lot of effort to change the thick, husky voice tone he had inherently into one that would suit dance music.
- The songs he sang at the beginning of his career (before debuting with VIXX) were mostly ballads. He then went to his agency and naturally thought that he would take the risk as a vocalist who can adapt to a more diverse genre of music.
- Despite his lack of dance skills before debuting as a VIXX member, Ken was able to pass his audition to Jellyfish Entertainment because of his singing ability, where he only trained for five months.
- He then listened to a lot of music like R&B, rock, hip-hop, and changed his style a bit through training and effort, and he later achieved a high and bright voice tone.
- It was said that he failed YG Entertainment and JYP Entertainment auditions.
- Among the 10 participants of the Mydol reality show, he was one of the winners of the show, and for that reason, he is now a member of VIXX.
- Ken was the last member to be chosen to be in VIXX. He joined on November 18, 2011.
Family & Friends
- ‘Ken’ is a name given by Jellyfish Entertainment CEO Hwang Se Joon. The reason was that he resembles Hirai Ken from the game Street Fighter in Japan. He himself also thinks that his personality is similar to that of Ken.
- Another reason he was nicknamed Ken was that people in his company said that he did not look Korean.
- His nicknames include Power Soul Vocalist, Kenchopper, 4D Ken, Kenyonce, Johnny (쟈니), Gap Shin Gap King (갭신갭왕), Denis (데니스), Dye Hwani (뎨화니), Concept Gangster (컨셉깡패), Kenjumma (켄줌마), Ken Mungyi (켄뭉이), Dancing King (춤신춤왕), A Pacifist (평화주의자 간뎨), Hot Dog Fairy (핫튜요정), Ken Ssaem (켄쌤), Sally (샐리), Dye Op (뎨옵), “DriverKen”, “BestcookerKen”, “TokyotoKen”, and “YoungmanKen”.
- His family consists of his dad, mom, and two older brothers (Jaegwan and Jaeho).
- Ken is best friends with BTS’s Jin and B1A4’s Sandeul.
- B.A.P’s Youngjae revealed that he and BTS’s Jin, BTOB’s Eunkwang, and VIXX’s Ken are in a gaming crew called “The Strongest Idol” (Lee Guk Joo’s Young Street broadcast).
- Moonbyul (Mamamoo) said that the 92 liners have a group chat. There are BTS’s Jin, VIXX’s Ken, B1A4’s Sandeul and Baro, and EXID’s Hani (Weekly Idol ep 345).
- Ken likes to hang out with friends or go watch movies when he isn’t working (he said that he does not drink or go to clubs).
- Many fans have known that Ken and EXO’s D.O are always attached to each other since the “Wolf” and “The Beauty” era. Their ship name given by fans is KenDi.
- B1A4’s Sandeul, BTS’s Jin, and VIXX’s Ken enjoyed a hearty new year’s meal at Jin’s place in early 2016. The three idols ate a home-cooked meal prepared by Jin’s mom.
- BTS’s Jin, BTOB’s Eunkwang, VIXX’s Ken, B.A.P’s Youngjae, and Kwon Hyun Bin spent time together during their break in June 2018.
- He’s also close with the Boarding House no. 24 cast, including E.X.I.D, BLOCK B, Super Junior’s Ryeowook, C-CLOWN’s Seyong and Insoo, and HISTORY’s Dokyun.
Favorites, Dislikes, & Possessions
- His favorite food includes instant foods and chocolate, especially KitKat.
- He doesn’t like raisins or tofu.
- His favorite colors are black and white.
- He likes to eat chicken.
- His favorite artists are Kim Bum, Kim Hyo Jun, Brian McKnight, Eric Benet, and Park Hyo Shin.
- Ken likes to watch horror movies, and he tells the other members about them.
- Ken likes anime, especially One Piece, and collected character figures from the anime, mainly Tony Toni Choppa (Chopper). He is proud of his Chopper-related things and even imitates Chopper’s voice. He said that he would like to cosplay as chopper if he gets the chance.
- He has a Chopper doll that has been by his side for a long time.
- His most valuable belonging is his One Piece “Sunny” ship model. He has had it since he started living in the dorms.
- Ken sleeps in a T-shirt and pants based off of One Piece.
- He likes to use English words randomly such as “ok” and “listen carefully”.
- He doesn’t own a smartphone or cell phone, but he does have two iPads.
- Ken uses a lot of emojis like the egg emojis and the fish emojis.
- If he were to be an animal, he’d choose to be a monkey. Why? Because he said that they’re clever.
- If he were to dye his hair, he’d dye it green.
- He likes superheroes (Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc).
- He likes J-pop.
- He is a fan of Disney and SpongeBob.
- He is scared of big dogs, but he’s not scared of bugs.
- “Ken-hyung really likes sweets. There’re always snacks in his bag.” -Hyuk
- He is scared of thunderstorms and monsters.
- He collects snapbacks and bucket hats. His favorite accessory is a snapback.
- He wears a ring with his name on it.
- He cannot eat bold or tough foods such as peanuts and almonds.
- His favorite steak is medium rare.