Eugene’s Full Profile
Kim Yoo-jin (born March 3, 1981), known professionally as Eugene, is a South Korean actress and singer. She was best known as a member of South Korean girl group S.E.S.. She has released two solo albums and is currently pursuing her career as an actress in various TV dramas and movies and also works as an MC on various shows and programs.
Eugene was born in Seoul, South Korea. At the suggestion of her grandfather, who had settled in Guam, her family immigrated to Guam after she finished the first semester of 5th grade elementary school. She attended Agueda I. Johnston Middle School from October 1992 until June 1995, and John F. Kennedy High School from June until September 1997.
She returned to Korea with her mother and younger sister some time during high school, and eventually graduated from Korea Kent Foreign School, Seoul, in June 1999. At high school, more than 80% of her subjects were A grades. In elementary school, 23 out of 24 subjects were awarded. In middle school, almost all her subjects were excellent.
On May 11 2011, Eugene announced she was be marrying Ki Tae-young, her leading man in the 2009 TV series Creating Destiny. Their wedding was held at the Seoul Central Church in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do, on July 23 2011. They were the first couple featured on Super Couple Diary, a reality show filming the daily married life of celebrity couples. Eugene gave birth to their first child, a daughter named Ro-hee in April 2015.
After the sinking of the MV Sewol, Eugene’s fans began to doubt her belief in the Salvation sect of Evangelical Baptism. She explained that she is not a believer of the Evangelical Baptist Church, but of the Korean Christianity Baptist Church, which separated from the Evangelical Baptist Church 32 years ago.
- Name: Eugene
- Hangul: 유진
- Real Name: Kim Yoo-Jin (김유진)
- Birthdate: March 3 1981
- Birthplace: South Korea
- High School: Korea Kent Foreign School
- University: Korea University
- Height: 163cm
- Blood Type: A
- Family: Ki Tae-Young (husband)
- Twitter: @islandgirl_81
Eugene’s Footsteps into Film and Other Recognitions
- All About My Mom (KBS2, 2015)
- Can We Love? (JTBC, 2014)
- Hundred Year Inheritance (MBC, 2013)
- Ohlala Couple (KBS2, 2012, ep 2) – cameo
- Drama Special – Princess Hwapyung’s Weight Loss (KBS2, 2011)
- King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo (KBS2, 2010)
- Creating Destiny (MBC, 2009)
- One Mom and Three Dads (KBS2, 2008)
- I Really Really Like You (MBC, 2006)
- Wonderful Life (MBC, 2005)
- Save the Last Dance for Me (SBS, 2004)
- Loving You (KBS2, 2002)
TV Show Theme Songs
- I Like You – I Really Really Like You OST (2006)
- Like Candy (Reprise) – I Really Really Like You OST (2006)
- Jungsun Arirang – I Really Really Like You OST (2006)
- My Dream – Save the Last Dance for Me OST (2004)
- Yoga School (2009)
- Romantic Island (2008)
- I Feel Lucky / Like The Feeling Of Not Knowing (2008)
- Heartbreak Library (2008)
- Unstoppable Marriage (2007)
- 2015 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Serial Drama – Actress (All About My Mom)
- 2011 KBS Drama Awards: One Act Special Award, Actress (Princess Hwapyung’s Weight Loss)
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Mini Series – Actress (King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo)
- 2004 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Save the Last Dance for Me)
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Loving You)
Notes On Eugene
- Former member of girl group S.E.S
- Eugene married actor Ki Tae-Young on July 23 2011 at Jung-ang Gyohoe (Manmin Central Church) in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. They first met while acting together in the drama Seeking Love
- Eugune was cast in the leading role in cable TV drama Color of Women, scheduled to air in December 2011 on cable TV station Channel A. Her sister was then in a serious car accident in Guam. Eugene then decided to withdraw from the drama series.
Birth of Eugene’s Baby
On April 12 2015, Korea Ilbo reported that first generation idol-turned-actress Eugene had given birth to a baby girl while visiting her family in Guam. This was the first child for the star and her husband, actor Ki Tae Young. The 34 year-old actress, who originates from Guam, traveled back to her homeland for the delivery.
A representative for her agency provided a statement regarding her successful delivery. “Eugene gave birth in Guam last week,” he said. “Both mother and baby are healthy.”
The represenative was then questioned about Eugene’s travel outside of Korea. He addressed concerns that she had what is referred to as a traveling birth or delivery outside of the country. “Guam is the home of her parents,” he said. “It would be tricky for her to give birth far away.”
The former S.E.S member announced her pregnancy in October 2014 and traveled to Guam for the remaining 6 months of her term. She is the second member of the first generation girl group to become a mother. She was preceded by Shoo, who gave birth in June 2010.