The Dream Girl, Yoohyeon!
Perhaps it is not a secret that Yoohyeon is one of the DreamCatcher members who have many talents. Apart from having an anime-like appearance, she is also an expert at playing musical instruments. Also, aside from her position in the group as the lead vocalist, she can speak multiple languages as she studied English, German, Mandarin. On top of that, she can also play the guitar and is good at imitating voices and playing video games! No wonder that her radiant charm is often called the ultimate bias for fans around the world, either for boys or girls.
Now, are you curious to know more about this talented and charming member? Take a look at her full profile below!
Full Profile of DreamCatcher’s Yoohyeon
- Stage Name: Yoohyeon (유현)
- Real Name: Kim Yoo-hyeon (김유현)
- English Name: Rachel Kim
- Position: Lead Vocalist
- Birthday: January 7th, 1997
- Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- Nationality: Korean
- Height: 168 cm (5’6”)
- Weight: 49 kg (108 lbs)
- Blood Type: O
Fun Facts about DreamCatcher’s Yoohyeon
- Incheon, South Korea, is her hometown
- She has one sibling (a younger brother)
- Namu (tree) is her nickname
- She debuted in Minx (2014) before re-debuting in DreamCatcher (2016)
- She can speak English, Mandarin, and German
- She is even called ‘the language queen’ by the other DreamCatcher members
- She is an expert in playing musical instruments and she can play the guitar
- She is an expert at game characters and voice impressions
- Playing video games is her hobby
- Before she goes to sleep, she likes to watch The Simpsons
- When she’s nervous, her teeth get itchy
- According to other members, Yoohyeon is the most forgetful member
- Her idol is Harry Styles
- She suffers from nearsightedness and astigmatism
- She once sent a fan letter to Sunmi, saying that she is a big fan of hers (and Sunmi posted her letter!)
- She was one of the contestants of Mnet’s MIX NINE, but due to DreamCatcher’s schedule in Brazil, she left the show early
- She appears in the D1CE‘s Hyunsoo and Jinyoung’s MV “Falling in Love”
- She is the tallest member of the group
- Thanks to her tall feature, she has debuted as a runway model and has done catwalks several times
- She is the roommate of SuA
- She and CLC’s members are good friends
- Her nightmare image in DreamCatcher is the girl who’s lost in unknown places
- When asked about her ideal type, she described him as a “hard-working person”
- She also named actor Kim Bum as her celebrity ideal type
Debut with DreamCatcher
Yoohyeon made her debut back in 2014 when DreamCatcher was still under the name Minx. So, she is a member of the original DreamCatcher line-up known as Minx.
In November 2016, Happy Face revealed that Minx would re-debut under the name DreamCatcher with the addition of two new members. After that, the company then introduced and re-introduced each DreamCatcher member from November 30th to December 6th, 2016. Yoohyeon’s teaser image was also introduced.
Happy Face said that they were making the concept of ‘nightmares’ where each member represents different nightmares. “The two types of teaser images that are being revealed right now illustrate the ‘girl’ images and the ‘nightmare character’ version of each member. It’s like a compressed version of the singles and albums that DreamCatcher will release afterward,” it was said. As for Yoohyeon, her nightmare is a ‘nightmare that makes you wander around unfamiliar places.’
After the teaser image, DreamCatcher finally debuted on January 13th, 2017, with their debut album titled Nightmare and the title track “Chase Me.” They finally made a positive impression on K-pop music lovers because they used a different concept from other girl groups. In contrast to other K-pop girl groups that use the cute concept, DreamCatcher prefers to use the dark concept (and in turn, contrasting their cutesy names).
Quite successful with the debut, DreamCatcher’s re-debut concept received warm responses from fans with many people turning to become their new fans.
DreamCatcher’s Yoohyeon’s Personality
It is a well-known fact among friends and fans that Yoohyeon is a really bright and friendly person. She likes to joke around, especially around the members. And also, her main charm lays in her gentle and clear expression, especially when she smiles widely.
Thanks to her bright personality, her chemistry with the other members is exceptionally good. She makes the atmosphere around her brighter and busier, thanks to her personality.
It seems like her free-spirited nature was natural for her, even in the early days of her re-debut with DreamCatcher, her little boyish attitude still shown brightly even when she has a feminine appearance. However, thanks to this, her personality blends well with the dark concept the team is pursuing, as it increases the intense and faint atmosphere of her ‘nightmare’ image.
But, don’t be fooled by her intense appearance. Although she has distinct features and dark eyes reminiscent of canine animals, she is a very smiley and silly person. Sometimes, she even likes to be impulsive by doing silly things like dancing in front of the camera.
She also treats her fans like friends, so it is no wonder that she is everyone’s bias.
— 아그네스 (@aak_sy) August 15, 2017
One time, when a fan asked her to say something that makes the fan’s heart flutter, she posted a picture on Twitter with a written paper that said, “Senpai, notice me” (in English!). If that doesn’t make your heart flutter, we don’t know what will.
Yoohyeon’s Appearances in DreamCatcher’s Vlog
As to increase the engagement with fans, DreamCatcher occasionally posts each member’s activity on a YouTube vlog, including Yoohyeon who showed her daily activities when visiting a cat café and a concert in Japan.
Check out how her day goes in her DreamCatcher vlogs below!
DreamCatcher’s Yoohyeon’s Cameo Appearance in Backstreet Rookie
In 2020, Yoohyeon, alongside D1ce’s Yoo-jun, made a fun cameo appearance in the SBS drama Backstreet Rookie. The two idols made fun cameos in the August 7th, 2020 episode where they play a couple who are very skilled at arcade dance games. On top of showing Yoohyeon and Yoo-jun’s expert moves, the drama also honors DreamCatcher’s song by having the couple dance to DreamCatcher’s debut track “Chase Me.”
In the episode, the couple plays rival against Hwang Geum-bi (Seo Ye-hwa) and Han Dal-shik (Eum Moon-suk) as Yoohyeon and Yoo-jun won against them.
On the post-broadcast, Yoohyeon took over DreamCatcher’s official Twitter account to say, “Chase Me! Elevate your hand when you discover Yoohyeon within the drama ‘Backstreet Rookie.’ Yay, you probably did an ideal job!”
She also shared a photo of herself and Yoo-jun, saying, “Thanks to actors Eum Moon-suk, Ye-hwa, and D1CE’s Jung Yoo-jun, with whom I loved filming!!”
Many fans who have caught her short appearance agreed that she has a knack for acting. Maybe in the future, we will see her more on screen?