8 Reasons Why You Should Give ‘Ruler: Master of The Mask’ A Try
If you do like watching Korean dramas and are interested in romance and politics as well as historical genres, we think you should watch “Ruler: Master of The Mask”. Although many reviews give both pros and cons about this drama, this drama is not a bad thing to watch. Let us prove it with 8 reasons why you should give “Ruler: Master of The Mask” a try!
1. For you who love Korean historicas,l or whether you consider yourself a history geek, this “Ruler: Master of The Mask” should not you miss it! Why? Of course here, you can find breathtaking cinematography with the atmosphere of the Joseon period.
The visuals are on point. No joke. There are so many dazzling and stunning shots of the scenery, filled with a rich array of colors that will make you want to capture them in order to save them all. It is a visually striking drama. The aesthetic appeal, like using lots of flowers, is shown here. It also looks very natural, making the viewing experience more enjoyable.
2. After appreciating the impressive nature shots, of course you should not overlook all characters’ costumes. Their costumes are extremely beautiful and well made.
Not all Korean historical dramas have the best wigs or hairstyles, but this drama is an exception. The male and female characters in this drama have very nice and very natural looking hairstyles, and will not make you feel annoyed while enjoying watching this drama.
It is quite clear that the drama production team was not offhandedly spending the production costs by putting excellent costumes and hairstyling to the characters. It deserves a huge thumbs up!
3. The drama’s storyline has its own uniqueness. This drama starts with a very interesting story to watch, like when King Lee Yoon was killed by the leader of Pyunsoo-hwe, and the leader of Pyunsoo-hwe, Kim Dae-mok, appointed Commoner Lee Sun as his puppet king who is ready to obey all his orders in the interest of Pyunsoo-hwe. Besides that, this drama tells two sides: greed and altruism, which are certainly opposed to each other but often occur in our daily lives. You can see from Commoner Lee Sun, who wants everything from Crown Prince Lee Sun, whether it’s his the throne or power and love. He did everything, he became blinded by his desire just to have Han Ga-eun.
Also you can see that Kim Hwa-goon could have become a hateful antagonist just like Commoner Lee Sun, but nope, she did not do any of the evil things which are usually done by antagonists. Instead, she helped Crown Prince Lee Sun to the end of her life because she really sincerely loved Crown Prince Lee Sun.
4. The intriguing character development. The Commoner Lee Sun became the replacement king or it can be said, the puppet king, who was tricked and swallowed whole by the politics of the palace. He was once an innocent and kind person who wanted to help Crown Prince Lee Sun, but because of his jealousy, he wanted everything from Crown Prince Lee Sun.
Also, Crown Prince Lee Sun’s character is almost too good. He pretty much had no flaws. He is an innocent, well-intentioned, and pure prince. He deserves to be loved, and as the role model for an ideal prince.
Regarding character development, in this drama, we can say that the best character is Kim Hwa-goon. Why? She is probably the most valuable ally of Crown Prince Lee Sun, she always helps him and assisted him on many occasions.
5. The acting, of course. First of all, we should applaud Yoo Seung-ho. He is mesmerizing to watch on screen. He always impresses us with his acting range. No doubt about his acting, after all he was an excellent child actor.
Just like Yoo Seung-ho, Kim So-hyun was also an excellent child actress, thus her acting is in no doubt.
We should also appreciate with the acting from the second leads. Through this drama, we can see Kim Myung-soo (L) did very well. He proved that idols are not only limited to singing. You can see his transition from a shy and innocent boy to a greedy and evil king. He did a wonderful job of portraying the complicated and conflicted emotions. He is definitely a talented acting-dol (Acting Idol). His performance surpassed our expectations of his acting skills.
Don’t forget about the actress that played Kim Hwa-goon, Yoon So-hee. After her separation from Crown Prince Lee Sun, he called her name for the first time and made her cry. Not only Kim Hwa-goon, but the audience also cried. Her great acting did that.
6. The lead’s chemistry. Although some fans said that Crown Prince Lee Sun deserved to be with Kim Hwa-goon, you can see Crown Prince Lee Sun and Han Ga-eun’s lovey-dovey eyes. They have sincere love for each other. Though their love story is filled with tragedy, they will make you want to support their love. Their chemistry was so strong, in fact, that Kim So-hyun said that, “It was fun because we worked well together. He (Yoo Seung-ho) always looking after me. I believe in him, I feel comfortable and can do a better job.”
7. Impressive support roles. Not all Korean historical dramas have the support roles that do a good job. First, we should not miss the main antagonist, Kim Dae-mok. He is such a savage and wicked old man. It is not easy to portray the role of a villain, but actor Heo Jun-ho is able to nail it as Kim Dae-mok. He was the one who made the drama became a lot more enjoyable.
Also, Woo-bo, played by the veteran actor Park Chul-min. He is a trustworthy guide and mentor, and he always advised the Crown Prince Lee Sun to make the morally right decision.
The next disadvantaged person, besides Kim Hwa-goon, is Gon, played by Kim Seo-kyung. He definitely loved Kim Hwa-goon, but he showcased his silent feelings for her in various ways. Every time she was with him, he had a softer look in his eyes. He expressed pure and unfaltering love for Kim Hwa-goon, his lady, even though it was one-sided love too.
The next impressive support role is Mae-chang, played by Lee Chae-young. She is an independent woman who is intelligent, strong, and good at martial art skills. There are so many impressive support roles in this drama that we can’t tell you about them all.
8. The last, but not the least, reason is where else can we watch a drama with such appealing visuals? You will find them here. This drama presents a compelling visual appearance. Two amazingly handsome men like Yoo Seung-ho and Kim Myung-soo (L) are both incredibly easy on the eyes. As you can see, Koreans usually pick Yoo Seung-ho when it comes to choosing a handsome celebrity with nice hairstyles. And Korean netizens praised Kim Myung-soo (L)’s handsome looks. Besides the stunning visual from the male characters, we should not miss the female characters. Kim So-hyun is one of the most popular child actresses ever, and grew up beautifully and got famous for her natural beauty, in addition to her acting abilities that are above average. There is also Yoon So-hee, the beautiful actress who has a sexy brain. She attended a prestigious college like KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), majoring in biochemical engineering. She shows off a radiant glow with her perfect skin on screen. The actors and actresses’ faces are gentle enough to attract the eyes of viewers.
We would say that this drama is not bad to watch, although some fans said that this drama’s storyline is too complicated. However, now that you’ve read our honest review about this drama, what do you think of “Ruler: Master of The Mask”? Should you give it a try?