Debuted as Child Actor and Successfully Debut with CRAVITY — Let’s Get Into the Details of Ham Wonjin
Many of you probably know Wonjin from Produce X 101, right? Yup! Wonjin participated in the show with his label mates, but unfortunately, he didn’t make it to the debut line. Wonjin is a South Korean singer under Starship Entertainment. He was a former trainee of Big Hit Entertainment.
Before being a singer, Wonjin has been acting since he was nine years old. He also showed off his dance skills when he was in elementary school. In 2020, he debuted with CRAVITY and gave out astonishing performances! Are you curious about Wonjin? Don’t worry! Channel-Korea will tell you all about Ham Wonjin. Keep scrolling!
CRAVITY’s Wonjin’s Profile
- Stage Name: Wonjin (원진)
- Full Name: Ham Won-jin (함원진)
- Chinese Name: Xián Yuán jìn (咸元进)
- Nicknames: Hamjo Rika, Ham Daeji
- Date of Birth: March 22, 2001
- Place of Birth: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Nationality: Korean
- Star Sign: Aries
- Blood Type: O
- Height: 174 cm
- Weight: 57 kg
- Shoe Size: 270 mm
- Debut Date: April 14, 2020 (with CRAVITY)
- Associated Acts: CRAVITY
- Agency: Starship Entertainment
- Education: Seoul Pyeong Elementary School, Yeoncheon Middle School in Seoul, Seoul Daishin High School, Sejong Cyber University (Barista/Sommelier major/graduate)
- MBTI: ENFP
CRAVITY’s Wonjin’s Fun Facts
- Wonjin is in charge of lead vocal and lead dancer of the group.
- Before joining Produce X 101, he was a trainee for two years and six months.
- His representative color is Purple.
- Jungmo and Allen are his roommates. Three of them are fluent in foreign languages. He is said to be in charge of Chinese, English, and Japanese, respectively.
- Wonjin can speak Japanese. He learned Japanese at age 14/15 because he wanted to watch anime without subtitles.
- His specialties are sport, such as baseball, basketball, and more. Apart from his specialty being sporty, he is in charge of the weakest in the team.
- Wonjin is the second child. He has an older sister and a younger brother.
- He was a back dancer on the cover stage of “Shoot Out” at Jeong Se-woon’s fan meeting in 2019.
- In a radio interview, he stated that his role model is Jimin of BTS. The reason is that he wants to resemble the performance on stage.
- He often uses dialect, and he studied dialect acting separately when he was a child.
- He was a former trainee of Big Hit Entertainment and passed the first round of JYP Entertainment’s closed audition in 2017.
CRAVITY’s Wonjin’s Pre Debut Story
Before his debut, Ham Wonjin started his career as a child actor. Since he was in elementary school, Wonjin showed off his dance moves. He has participated in several performance stages such as “WINNERS DANCE SCHOOL BIG PARTY LITTLE WINNERS”, “STREET STYLE: No Limit [Korean Wave] Hip Hop Show”, and more.
He passed the Big Hit Entertainment’s closed audition and was a trainee in 2015. Wonjin also gave the first round of JYP Entertainment’s closed audition in 2017. However, he became a trainee on Starship Entertainment in September 2017. He auditioned in Starship Entertainment through an acquaintance, and he sang “JOAH” by Jay Park at the audition.
On July 24, 2019, the agency, Starship, opened “STARSHIPZ”, amid attention to its next move after the end of Produce X 101. Starship also officially announced the launch of a new boy group in the first half of next year. STARSHIPZ itself filled with the trainee of Starship, including Wonjin.
CRAVITY’s Wonjin’s Debut as Child Actor
Ham Wonjin started his career as a child actor at the age of 9. He appeared in various dramas, such as A Fine, Windy Day (2010), Dong Yi (2010), Twinkle Twinkle (2011), Deep Rooted Tree (2011), Feast of the Gods (2012), The Third Hospital (2012), The Fugitive of Joseon (2013), and more. He also appeared in movies, The Man from Nowhere (2011), and The Sound of a Flower (2015).
Check out his appearances on Dong Yi:
Wonjin took a role in several short-film called “Mom Came Over The Sea” in 2011 and “BOY MEETS A STRANGER” in 2014. Check out his acting here:
Wonjin is so cute during pre-debut, right?
CRAVITY’s Wonjin’s Appearances in Produce 101
Wonjin took part in the boy group survival show titled Produce X 101, organized by Mnet in 2019. He joined the show with other Starship trainees, Song Hyeongjun, Kang Minhee, Koo Jungmo, and Moon Hyunbin. In the first episodes, Wonjin and Hyunbin entered Class D, while the others got X.
In the group battle evaluation, Wonjin became a member of the Seventeen‘s Clap group. He wanted to choose Seventeen’s Adore U team. The videos of the group being tutored by Monsta X’s Jooheon being viral. Wonjin was taught to say “Baksu” correctly by Jooheon since he took the center part.
Wonjin seemed to blame himself for not being able to do both the dance and the center simultaneously because he thought he wasn’t good enough. In the end, the Clap team won the match against the Adore U team, earning 3,000 votes, and ranked second in the group with 164 votes.
In the position evaluation, he chose “Finesse” for the dance position. He teamed up with Kang Min-hee, Kim Dong-yoon, Kim Si-hoon, Song Hyeong-jun, Joo Chang-wook, and Lee Han-gyul.
In episode 9, Wonjin teamed up with Son Dong-pyo, Song Hyung-joon, Kang Min-hee, Koo Jung-mo, and Lee Jin-woo for a song called “Pretty Pretty”. The group received good reviews from many trainees on the team and was selected as the top remaining trainee.
In the final debut evaluation stage, he said, “I will take care of my throat and repay you with the final performance in the best condition. Thank you.” During the Boyness performance rehearsal process, he engaged in the recording with a recovered throat, performed steady songs, and received positive feedback from composers and trainees.
In the end, according to the final ranking announcement, he finished Produce X 101 at 19th place, one step lower than the third-ranking announcement.
Compilations of Ham Wonjin’s introduction and performances in Produce X 101: