Let’s get personal with B1A4’s CNU!
For the K-Pop fans who have been here since the 2nd Generation K-Pop, it’s impossible to miss the boy group B1A4 since they were one of the biggest boy groups in that era. It’s sad news that the group has been in an inactive state ever since the members Jinyoung and Baro’s departure. But, thankfully, the three members are still here! One of them is CNU (Born with the name Shin Dong-woo on January 16th, 1991). He made his Korean debut with B1A4 in the MBC Show! Music Core on April 23rd, 2011, and he made his Japanese debut on June 27th, 2012. He was part of six Korean mini-albums, and two Japanese-language studio albums. In May 2012, he played a part in the KBS sitcom Sent From Heaven (2012) and plenty of musical stages such as Chess (2012), The Three Musketeers (2016), and Hamlet (2017).
Are you curious to know more about CNU’s story and get personal with him? If so, scroll down the article below to find out all the details about his life and career!
CNU’s Full Profile
Stage Name: CNU (신우)
Birth Name: Shin Dong-woo (신동우)
Position: Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist, Lead Rapper
Date of Birth: June 16th, 1991
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Height: 182 cm (6’0″)
Weight: 64 kg (141 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Birthplace: Chungbuk Cheongju, South Korea
- He is the mom of the group if B1A4 was a family
- He has one sibling (an older sister)
- He was the last member to be recruited as part of B1A4
- Out of all the other members, he is the tallest among the group with a height of 182 cm
- He was the last member to join B1A4
- His stage name, CNU, stands for “a dependable and sweet-natured friend”
- His stage name is pronounced as Shin-oo
- His nickname is ChikeNU (in reference to chickens)
- He was called the inspector/detective by Gongchan
- He is the oldest member of B1A4
- He is enthusiastic about health, that’s why he said he likes sports
- He is said to be similar to FT Island’s Jaejin & Hongki, MBLAQ’s Thunder, B2ST’s Gikwang
- CNU is taken from his full name, Shin Dong Woo (SHIn = C *in English C is pronounced Shi*, doNg = N, and wOO = U)
- He is the most polite member
- His hobby is swimming and he swims often
- He’s enthusiastic, charismatic, and quiet, and also has a killer smile
- He likes to write lyrics
- He looks indifferent on the outside but when you get to know him, he is chatty and affective
- He comes from the Choong-book area
- He shed a few tears while bathing in the bathroom after they finished their first debut stage
- He has a puppy named Malgeumi
- He has a sensitive personality
- He likes to wear t-shirts and jeans in his style
- He thinks he has become more mature since his debut
- His smile makes his fans melt
- He likes to be alone
- He can make other members feel comfortable
- He is an honest person
- The members say that he is hard to read
- When he’s angry, he never shows anger, instead, he still smiles
- While in training, he continued to work hard practicing his choreography and vocals
- He said that he has broad shoulders, he also has nice legs
- He is meticulous, that’s why the members said that CNU is like their mother
- Even though he doesn’t like comics, he said he likes One Piece, and he likes Sanji in that comic because Sanji is so cool
- His favorite song is “Up To You” by Chris Brown
- His favorite Japanese singers are Tamaki Koji (玉置浩二) and Anzen Chitai (安全地 帯)
- He can do Taekwondo
- He is an active musical actor and has acted in three musicals: Chess (2012) as Anatoly Karpov, The Three Musketeers (2016) as D’Artagnan, Hamlet (2017) as Hamlet
- He described his ideal type as a “motherly, mature woman”
- Regarding his ideal type, he said, “I revealed Krystal was my ideal type when I appeared on Weekly Idol. To tell the truth, Krystal is not motherly. Personally, I like Go Hyun Jung. I like the feeling of maturity.”
Debut with B1A4
CNU made his career debut with B1A4 through their debut EP, Let’s Fly, and the title track “O.K” on April 21st, 2011. Later they promoted and performed their debut track on the MBC Show! Music Core on April 23rd, 2011.
Prior to their debut, the members of B1A4 were first revealed in the form of a webtoon before releasing their official photos. Even before debut, the group had already received attention through the unique promotional technique of their label, WM Entertainment. The group was promoted as “idols who come out of a webtoon comic” and they received hot response from both local and international netizens.
Initially, they were believed to be a co-ed group due to the fact that in the webtoon, a character named Anna was introduced. It turns out that the group consisted of five members who were all male when member Jinyoung’s photo was the first released on April 10th, 2011, along with his story on the webtoon. Photos of Baro, Gongchan, Sandeul, and CNU were released on April 11–14, 2011, each along with the story.
Their debut mini-album, Let’s Fly, was released digitally and physically on April 21st, 2011, along with the full MV, after releasing the MV teaser, two days earlier, on April 18th, 2011.
The MV has been watched for more than 8 million times since the day of its release. It received a lot of attention back then from the Korean public.
The group made their debut appearance on the April 23rd, 2011 episode of MBC Show! Music Core and was considered a successful performance for the group grabbing the attention of netizens. They had their next debut stage on Mnet’s M! Countdown, KBS’ Music Bank, and SBS’ Inkigayo on April 28th, April 29th, and May 1st, 2011, respectively. On May 1st, 2011, they had their first radio broadcast on Park Gyungrim Starry Night Radio on MBC’s FM4U.
Check out their debut stage below!
CNU is known to be a member who is active on social media. On top of Twitter and Facebook, he also consistently posts updates on his personal Instagram account.
His posts range from selfies featuring his pet to his members, and also his promotional activities.
CNU’s update with his dog, Gon.
And the members Gongchan and Sandeul celebrating the New Year.
Or that time during his military enlistment.
On top of that, he also shares his promotional activities such as that time when he became the special MC for MBC’s Show! Music Core in 2019. He wrote a sweet message, “We did special MC in the music center. It’s been a long time since it’s been a music center, so it was a new and good time. I sincerely thank the fans who came to see me and all the artists worked hard~ Thank you, Eunwoo and Mina!”
He is also known to be the sweet thoughtful member as he wrote a sweet personal letter to fans while greeting them on the new year following the news of his enlistment,
“To. Bana. Hi Shin. A month is already passing in 2019. Are you all doing well with your New Year’s plans and goals? At this time, it feels like time is very fast. It seems like yesterday since I debuted, but eight years have already passed, and from my early twenties to thirty. Maybe time feels fast because there are so many happy things, right? Thank you very much for all of this happiness. I think everyone will know the reason for writing this letter. I joined the military. I’m also sorry for Barnadeul, who would have been surprised by the sudden news of the enlistment… But please look forward to Shinwoo who will return with a more manly and dignified appearance! After completing my military service in good health, I will come back and make a lot of happy things for Bana with my younger siblings! Until then, I hope everyone stays healthy wherever we are. I hope you eat well, wear warm clothes to avoid a cold, and don’t go too late at night, get along with your friends, and always stay well with positive thoughts. You must do that. I will return to the cooler eldest Hello! # Hotter love meet me in the summer # B1A4 # renal # mountains # Gongchan #BANA I’ll be back in the hotter summer love.”
And he did it in 2020 again with the personal greeting to B1A4’s 9th anniversary that falls on April 21st, 2020. He wrote,
“Banadeul, it’s been a while since I have written a letter like this. Are you all doing well? These days, the weight of greetings saying how you’re doing well feels heavier. I hope our Banas are doing well. Everyone, we have finally reached the 9th anniversary. It seems like yesterday that I first met Banadle, but I can’t feel it because it’s already the 9th anniversary. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you who have been strong support for 9 years. I am going to meet this meaningful day by repeating the memories I had with you one by one. The faces of all of you who came to see us on the first day of our debut, the voices of all of you who filled the venue on the day of the first concert, the hearts of all of you who were pleased with the day of the first place, and those who were sad to send me the day of the fan meeting before enlistment. Tears of… I think that the Bana people have been with me for countless days. I think that the reason I will never forget all these days is that the Bana people were always there. Thank you again sincerely. I am excited day by day waiting for the day to meet you these days. Please wait a little bit for the memories we will make with us in the future. Until that day, you have to stay healthy. I will finish this while waiting for that very few days left. Thank you. Let’s be happy! – Shin-lift – #BANA # B1A4 # b1a49thanniversary“
He is also known to be a supportive friend of the other members as he updated his Instagram page with the support for Gongchan’s drama and Sandeul’s performance in early 2020.
Just like his stage name means, he is really “a dependable and sweet-natured friend.”
As we all know, CNU enlisted in the military as an active-duty soldier for 21 months on January 22nd, 2019, which means that he still has a few months to finish until 2021. But, due to the current situation, CNU was discharged early from the army.
On July 28th, 2020, WM Entertainment as the agency of CNU and B1A4, announced that the oldest member of the group has left the military base.
The official date for CNU to be released from military service was on August 28th, 2020. This K-Pop idol was released early due to military protocol during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This is implemented to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the military base area. Soldiers and visitors are prohibited from entering or leaving the base if they do not have a special interest.
Hence, soldiers on active duty are also prohibited from going out on a vacation, and when the date of their official discharge arrives, soldiers will receive a long vacation after they are discharged.
CNU can return to his activities as an idol after the end of his status as an active-duty soldier on August 28th, 2020.
We can’t wait for his comeback!
So, those are all the things that you need to know about B1A4’s CNU! What do you guys think about him? Kindly share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!