Meet The K-pop Boy Group B.I.G!
On July 9th, 2014, GH Entertainment debuted a new boy group consisting of five members Benji, Gunmin, Minpyo, Heedo, and J-hoon with the first single “Hello.” The name itself was the acronym for “Boys In Groove.” The group was garnering attention for their impressive musical skills and portfolio. It was proved by how the members were graduating from a prestigious musical academy. In November 2018, member J-hoon enlisted in the military, and on January 19th, 2019, member Jinseok was added to the group, making it now as a six-member group.
Are you excited to know more about the group? Scroll down this article to find out!
B.I.G’s Full Profile
Group name: B.I.G
Also known as Boys In Groove
Origin: Seoul, South Korea
Years active: 2014–present
Debut: July 9th, 2014
Label(s): GH Entertainment (South Korea), HY Entertainment (Japan)
Current active members: Benji, Gunmin, Minpyo, Heedo, and Jinseok
Inactive members: J-hoon (military enlistment)
Fandom Name: Biginning
Official Fan Color: Light Blue
- B.I.G debuted on June 9th, 2014
- B.I.G performed their debut stage on SBS MTV’s The Show within the same day as their debut releases
- Gunmin, Minpyo, and Heedo were all trainees at the Plug In Music Academy
- Benji had graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Music and Heifetz International Music Institute, and even enrolled to Juilliard School, before dropping out in 2011 and pursuing his career with B.I.G
- Minpyo had previously trained under Stardom Entertainment and was a member of Underdogg (Top Dogg’s trainee group) before joining GH Entertainment
- Since he was four years old, Benji has been playing the violin and was one of the Seattle Youth Symphony’s members
- J-Hoon has been practicing various forms of street dance for the past 10 years, ever since he was in middle school
- B.I.G made their Japanese debut under HY Entertainment on March 23rd, 2016
- B.I.G’s Japanese debut song, “Taola,” ranked 15th on the Oricon weekly singles chart
- B.I.G started their first tour of Asia titled The B.I.Ginning in September 2017 where they performed in Manila and Yokohama
- B.I.G also started their first overseas tour, the B.I.G Special Latin Tour, in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico in September 2017
- B.I.G members have an average of three years of being a trainee before debuting
- B.I.G’s first Japanese concert, B.I.G Japan First Live, was held on June 17th and 18th, 2016, at Harajuku’s Astro Hall in Tokyo
- B.I.G’s first Korean concert, B.I.G Asia Tour in Seoul, was held in South Korea on June 24th, 2017, at the KBS Arena in Seoul
- On November 15th, 2018, the group’s leader J-Hoon enlisted in the military and member Jinseouk was then added to the group
- Currently, the group consists of five active members and one inactive member
Prior to debuting, the group trained together under GH Entertainment for about one and a half years. They trained together as a group to strengthen their bonds.
This group was garnering attention for their impressive musical skills and portfolio. It was proven by the fact that some of the members have graduated from prestigious musical academies. Members Gunmin, Minpyo, and Heedo, all graduated from Plug In Music Academy, while member Benji had attended the Cleveland Institute of Music and Heifetz International Music Institute, and even enrolled to Juilliard School, before dropping out in 2011 and pursuing his career with B.I.G. Member Minpyo had previously trained under Stardom Entertainment and was one of the members of Underdogg (Top Dogg’s trainee group) before switching agency to GH Entertainment.
Prior to the group’s debut date, the members also made a street performance on July 5th, 2014, at the Myeongdong shopping street.
B.I.G released their debut single “Hello” on July 9th, 2014, along with its music video through their official YouTube Channel. The song would remind us of other groups such as BTS and B.A.P with its groovy beat and street-like concept. Their debut song attracted a lot of attention for its nationalism lyrics as they hold the South Korean culture in high regard. Part of the lyrics, such as “our country,” becomes repetitive in their song thus helping the country’s promotion.
Their MV has been watched for more than 2,3 million times ever since their debut.
The MV was met with mixed reactions from the foreigner fans as well as the Korean fans. For international fans, the lyrics are quite entertaining and catchy.
“This is actually pretty catchy LOL Those 2 lines about food though 😂,” commented one international fan.
“‘I’m going to check out b.i.g! ‘watches video ‘ARE THEY ADVERTISING SOUTH KOREA IN SOUTH KOREA???’ another international fan left a comment.
“It’s just a video of them showing off how awesome their country is I love it,” another one added.
While for the local fans, the lyrics are quite cringy and they feel embarrassed.
“I can’t see foreigners…….Ah, it’s embarrassing; This is me…,” commented a K-netizen.
“Someone hack into the account and quickly get rid of this video… I think I’m really embarrassed,” added another netizen.
“Didn’t you feel suicidal while singing this song?” another one added.
On the day of their debut, B.I.G performed their debut stage on SBS MTV’s The Show and continued promoting for about two months on various music shows.
Check out their live performance, below!