Let’s Get to Know Talented Rapper Yong Jun-hyung!
Yong Jun-hyung is a rapper in the 1st-generation Korean boy-group, HIGHLIGHT, which previously called itself BEAST. The band consists of five members: Yoon Doo-joon, Yong Jun-hyung, Yang Yo-seob, Lee Gi-kwang, and Son Dong-woon. One of the original members, Jang Hyun-seung, officially left the group in April, 2016.
Jun-hyung is highly popular for producing a lot of well-known songs, not only for his group, but also for another singer. His songs are often on the top of the Korean charts, and he lags only behind G-Dragon in terms of royalties from songs he’s written. In addition to his music, he’s also done a little acting and a bit of MC work, as well.
Highlight Jun-hyung’s Profile
|Name||Yong Jun-hyung (용준형)|
|Birth Name||Yong Jae-soon (용재순)|
|Other Names||Joker, Poppin’ Dragon|
|Birthday||December 19, 1989 (age 28)
Seoul, South Korea
|Occupation||Singer-songwriter, rapper, record producer, actor|
|Music Genres||K-pop, R&B, Hip hop|
|Labels||Around Us Entertainment (current), Cube Entertainment|
|Associated Group||Xing, BEAST/Highlight|
Highlight Jun-hyung’s Facts:
- He was born in Seoul, South Korea.
- He changed his birth name, Yong Jae-soon, to his current name when he was in 6th grade
- Education: Dongshin University
- He has a younger brother, named Yong Jun-sung.
- Offstage he is really cute and the complete opposite of the charismatic rapper he is on stage.
- He is a former member of boy-band “XING”, which included Kevin Woo, a now-former member of U-KISS. Jun-hyung was known by the stage name Poppin’ Dragon while in Xing.
- He hasn’t come home in so long that even his own dog wouldn’t recognize him.
- He did a song with BIGSTAR’s FeelDog & EXID’s LE, called You Got Some Nerve
- He admires Bon Jovi a lot.
- His hobby is composing songs.
- He is the 2nd K-pop idol (after G-Dragon) who earns the most song royalties (for songs he wrote, himself).
- He mumbles nonsense when he’s tired.
- He acted in the drama Monstar in (2013)
- He is a very good song writer and producer.
- He’s friends with Sunggyu (Infinite). (Sunggyu said it on Outrageous Roomates)
- Junhyung is the one who wrote HIGHLIGHT’s debut song “Plz Don’t Be Sad”.
- He was on “It’s Dangerous Beyond The Blankets” seasons 1 & 2.
- Junhyung produced Kriesha Chu‘s debut song, “Trouble”.
- Junhyung and Super Junior’s Heechul are very close friends.
Yong Jun-hyung in Highlight
- Beast initially received attention for the lack of industry success previously experienced by its members, with media outlets referring to them as “a group of recycled material.” However, the group has achieved significant commercial success and critical accolades and is one of the most awarded groups of all time at the Golden Disk Awards, the Seoul Music Awards, and the Melon Music Awards.
- On April 19, 2016, Cube Entertainment released a statement confirming Hyunseung’s departure from the group. The band continued as a five-member group and Hyunseung proceeded under Cube as a solo artist. The reason for his departure was due to differences in music styles between him and the other group members.
- Beast officially announced the launch of their new label, Around Us Entertainment, subsequently leaving their label of seven years, Cube Entertainment. As the Beast name is trademarked by Cube, Beast was unable to promote under the name, legally. Around Us Entertainment announced that the members would continue as a group together, now under the name of “Highlight”.
- Highlight announced that they would be holding their first concert tour as Highlight and releasing a repackaged album, Calling You, on May 29, 2017.
Highlight Jun-hyung’s Solo Career
Jun-hyung debuted under Cube Entertainment as a member of the boy-band Beast in 2009. The group released their first extended-play, Beast is the B2ST on October 14, 2009. In 2016, Beast left Cube Entertainment, forming their own label, Around Us Entertainment. The group debuted under the new name of Highlight. As Highlight, they have released two extended plays.
Junhyung also featured in Hyuna’s solo debut single, Change. Junhyung, along with 4minute, was also featured in Heard ‘Em All for Amerie’s Asian version of the album In Love & War. He also had a cameo part in MBC’s “High Kick! Through the Roof” in one of its episodes. He was involved in writing and performing the rap section for 4minute’s album Hit Your Heart, in the song Who’s Next?.
Junhyung was featured rapping in the music video for G.NA’s album’s title song I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better, with the intent of giving the “opposite vibe” from Doojoon’s appearance. Junhyung was also featured in Faddy Robot Foundation together with 4minute’s Hyuna, Outsider, Verbal Jint, Mighty Mouth’s Ssangchu, Vasco and Zico; all profit from this album was slated to go to charity. In order to encourage the public participation in commemorating the Seoul Summit, Asia Bridge Contents (Representative Choi Jin) announced that the G20 summit held in Seoul created the campaign song Let’s Go composed by Shinsadong Tiger, Lim Sanghyuk, Eddie, and Junhyung.
He came up with his debut mini-album, Flower, under Cube Entertainment in December, 2013. Consisting of five tracks, the EP was released on all online music sites at 12 A.M. KST on that day. Its title track, called Flower, moved to the top of the music charts, while other tracks, like Anything and Caffeine (Piano Version), also garnered popularity.
He landed the main role of Yoon Seol-chan, along with Ha Yeon-soo and Kang Ha-neul, in the romance music teen drama Monstar, which aired on Mnet and tvN for 12 episodes from May 17, 2013 to August 2, 2013. The series brought him several award nominations, winning him the Best New Actor award at the 6th Korea Drama Awards that year.
His last endeavor as a solo artist, so far, is the album Wonder If, in 2017, consisting of two tracks. The lyrics of the first track, Wonder If, were written by Heize, and its music had contributions from the two, along with Kim Tae-joo (Good Life). He contributed to the lyrics of the second track, Too Much Love Kills Me, singly, the music of which was composed by him, along with Kim Tae-joo.
Jun-hyung also did a lot of work in dramas and variety shows. Here the list!
|2015||Yong Jun Hyung’s Good Life||Cube TV||Himself||With Kim Tae-joo|
|2016–2017||Hitmaker Season 3||MBC Every1||Host||Co-hosted with Jeong Hyeong-don|
|2017-2018||It’s Dangerous Beyond The Blankets||MBC||Cast member||Ep. 1-4 (Season 1)
Ep. 8-10 (Season 2)
|2012||Salamander Guru and The Shadows||SBS||Joker||Cameo|
|2013||Monstar||Mnet||Yoon Seol-chan||Lead role|
|2018||Coffee, Do Me a Favor||MBN||Im Hyun-woo||Lead role|
He’s received several awards for his solo work, as well, independent of the awards he received with BEAST and HIGHLIGHT.
Awards and nominations
|2013||7th Mnet 20’s Choice Awards||20’s Hot Cover Music – “Past Days”||Monstar||Nominated|
|20’s Booming Star – Male||Nominated|
|6th Korea Drama Awards||Best Couple Award with Ha Yeon-soo||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Won|