Before becoming famous as an actress, Moon Geun-young was first known as a model and advertising star in South Korea. Moon Geun-young started her model career since she was 12 years old. In 1999, she began to enter the acting world by taking part in the drama On The Road, then her name flew up after she starred in the Autumn Tale drama in 2000.
Success with the family genre drama, in 2001 she starred in the historical series The Last Empress. In the drama she played the young queen Myung Sun, Moon Geun-young was only 14 years old when starring in this drama. Had a baby face looking, made the public of South Korean dub her as National Little Sister.
In 2010, she starred in the drama Cinderella’s Step Sister which made her name known throughout the world. And her long-lasting face made her chosen to star in the drama series Marry Me, Mary. In the drama Marry Me, Mary she collaboration with a famous actor, Jang Geun Seukyang who was younger than her. This drama failed to score success in Korea, but was successful in the global market.
Moon Geun-young Profile
Name: Moon Geun-young
Birthdate: May 6, 1987 (age 31)
Birthplace: Gwang Ju, South Korean
Education: Sunkyungkwan University – Korean Literature
Occupation: Actress, Model
Height: 165 cm
Years Active: 1997 – present
Moon Geun-young’s Filmography
- Entourage (tvN / 2016) – herself (ep.12)
- The Village: Achiara’s Secret | Maeul: Achiaraui Bimil (SBS / 2015) – Han So-Yoon
- Jung-Yi, Goddess of Fire | Boolui Yeoshin Jung-Yi (MBC / 2013) – Yoo Jung
- Cheongdamdong Alice | Cheongdamdong Aeliseu (SBS / 2012-2013) – Han Se-Gyung
- Marry Me, Mary! | Maerineun Uibakjoong (KBS2 / 2010) – Mary Wei
- Cinderella’s Stepsister | Sinderella Eonni (KBS2 / 2010) – Song Eun-Ju
- The Painter of Wind | Baramui Hwawon (SBS / 2008) – – Shin Yoon-Bok
- Only You | Ahnae (KBS2 / 2003) – Han Min-Ju
- Empress Myseongseong | Myeongseong Hwang-ho (KBS / 2001) – Myeongseong Hwang-ho (young)
- Life is Beautiful | Insaengeun Hareumdawo (KBS2 / 2001)
- Autumn in my Heart | Gaeul donghwa (KBS2 / 2000) – Eun-Seo (young)
- Glass Garden | Yoorijungwon (2017) – Jae-Yeon
- The Throne | Sado (2015) – Hyegyeong Hong (Crown Prince Sado’s wife)
- Love Me Not | Sarangddawin Piryoeopseo (2006) – Ryoo Min
- Innocent Steps | Daenseo-ui Sunjeong (2005) – Jang Chae-Rin
- My Little Bride | Eorin shinbu (2004) – Seo Bo-Eun
- A Tale of Two Sisters | Janghwa, Hongryeon (2003) – Bae Soo-Yeon
- Lover’s Concerto | Yeonae Soseol (2002) – Ji-Yoon
- On The Way | Kil wieseo (1999)
Moon Geun-young’s Family Background
Moon Geun-Young’s grandfather is the late political prisoner Ryu Nak-Jin. He died on April 1, 2005. Also, Moon Geun-Young’s great uncle was shot to death during the Gwangju Uprising in 1980. Due to the political strife in Moon Geun-Young’s family, then Moon Geun-Young’s parents placed a condition on their daughter to donate a portion of her earnings to needy causes. Throughout her career, Moon Geun-Young has made small and large donations to different charitable causes.
As a child, both of Moon Geun-Young’s parents worked and because of this, Moon Geun-young spent a lot of time with her grandmother. Even her grandmother has also often spent time on the shooting set to accompany her. A famous incident exists of Moon Geun-Young and her grandmother while on the shooting set for the movie My Little Bride. During that time, they were observed together and picking up discarded cigarette butts off the floor before throwing it away in a trash can.