Meet Actor Son Seung-won
Son Seung-won is a South Korean actor born on June 29, 1990. He studied at the Seoul Institute of the Arts – Department of Acting. He started his debut in 2009, taking a role in a theater production titled Spring Awakening. He does the majority of his work in musical theater, rather than in films or television series.
In 2011, however, Son Seung-hon got an offer to play a role in the movie Glove, and acted as Park Choong-nam and, in 2014, Son Seung-won was awarded the role of Ryu Ji-han in his first television series, Drama Special – We All Cry Differently. His name became increasingly well-known when he starred in the television series Hello, My Twenties.
Son Seung-won’s Drama List
Actor Son Seung-won is more active in musical theater than in playing on television series or film. Before he played in either, he had taken roles in a number of musical theater productions. Here is a list of musical theater titles he’s starred in:
- Spring Awakening in 2009
- A Person Who Dreams in 2010
- Welcome Mom in 2011 as Him Chan
- Thrill Me in 2011 – 2012 as Nathan Leopold
- The Birth of Playing Hard to Get as Seo Dong
- Trace U in 2013 as Koo Bon-ha
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch in 2013 – 2014 as Hedwig. In this musical theater, Seung-won was the youngest Korean actor cast in the leading role.
- The Veiled Empress of 1896 in 2013 as Hwi
- Le Passe Muraille in 2013 – 2014 as News Vendor
- Bare the Musical in 2016 as Peter
- The Days in 2016 as Kang Moo-young
- Fan Letter in 2017 – 2018 as Jung Se-hoon
Here is a list of his TV series:
- Drama Special – We All Cry Differently in 2014 as Ryu Ji-han (on KBS2)
- Sweet Secret in 2014 – 2015 as Han Jin-woo (on KBS2)
- Healer in 2014 – 2015 as Kim Moon-sik when he was young (on KBS2)
- Hello Monster in 2015 as Choi Eun-bok (on KBS2)
- My Lawyer, Mr. Jo in 2106 as Byun Seung-mo (on KBS2)
- Hello, My Twenties! in 2016 as Im Sung-min (on JTBC)
- Person Who Gives Happiness in 2016 – 2017 as Lee Gun-woo (on MBC)
- Hello, My Twenties! 2 In 2017 as Im Sung-min (on JTBC)
- Welcome to Waikiki in 2018 as Bong Doo-sik (on JTBC)
Among the TV series he starred in, there was a new TV series this year (2018) which had good ratings throughout its run, namely, Welcome to Waikiki. Welcome to Waikiki is a television serial drama that was aired between February 5, 2018 until April 17, 2018 . It was broadcast on JTBC’s Mondays and Tuesdays at 23:00 KST time, and starred Kim Jung-hyun, Lee Yi-kyung and, of course, Son Seung-won. Son Seung-won was Bong Doo-sik, Kim Jung-hyun played Kang Dong-gu, and Lee Yi-kyung had the role of Lee Joon-ki.
The drama tells the story of three friends. The first was named Kang Dong-gu (played by Kim Jung-hyun), who initially dreamed of becoming a film director but eventually was disappointed because of his bad luck dealing with the rigors of the film industry. Then there was Lee Joon-ki (played by Lee Yi-kyung), an actor who often makes trouble, and is shameless and cunning. He often brought new problems to his two friends. And finally there was Bong Doo-sik (played by Son Seung-won), who came to Seoul and dreamed of being a screenwriter, but instead he spent his time as a freelance writer for others.
The three decided to live in an inn that was named Waikiki, after each of them were feeling failure in achieving his dream. With hope, they can get money from the inn to be able to make their own films, but bad luck seems to never stop following them. One day their house was visited by a single mother and her baby, and instead of having the jobs they wanted, they find themselves preoccupied with acting as the baby’s caretakers.