Meet the Positive Actor Ryu Soo-Young!
While Ryu Soo-Young is undoubtedly a good stage name, this veteran actor was actually born with the name Eo Nam-Seon in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. He made his debut appearance on television as a college student on a cooking show in 1998, then starred in the controversial film Summertime (2001). Constantly striving to become a better actor, he’s been taking many supporting roles as well as leading roles in many television dramas actively every year until now.
The actor is currently managed under Fly Up Entertainment along with other known celebrities such as Lee Bo Young, Choi Kang Hee, Park Han Byul, and others. In early 2015, he and his co-star from Two Weeks Park Ha-Sun were confirmed to be in a relationship since November 2014, eventually getting married in 2017 and welcoming a baby daughter not long after. Keep on reading to know more about this actor’s life and his pre-debut days!
Full Profile of Actor Ryu Soo-Young
Name: Ryu Soo Young / Ryu Su Yeong (류수영)
Real Name: Uh Nam Sun / Eo Nam Seon (어남선)
Hanja Name: 魚濫船
Nickname: Sarangkkun / Loved one (사랑꾼)
Profession: Actor and model
Talent Agency: Will Entertainment (past), Fly Up Entertainment (플라이업엔터테인먼트)
Years Active: 1998 – present
Nationality: South Korean
Date of Birth: September 5th, 1979
Place of Birth: Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 72 kg
Chinese Zodiac Sign: Sheep / Goat
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Blood Type: A
Religion: Christian (Protestant)
Family: Father Uh Yoon-So (어윤소 / 魚允沼), Mother Yoon Young-Seok (윤영석), Older sister, Wife Actress Park Ha-Sun, 1 daughter
Education: Mapo High School, Myongji University – Business Administration
Ryu Soo-Young’s Social Media & Website Links
Ryu Soo-Young first joined Twitter back in December 2010 and posted his first documentation on Instagram in August 2015. Here is the list of Ryu Soo-Young’s personal social media links and his official profiles on some renowned websites:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/suyoung_ryu
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/sienaroll
- Me2day: http://me2day.net/sienaroll
- Hancinema: http://www.hancinema.net/korean_Ryoo_Soo-yeong.php
- Daum Profile: http://movie.daum.net/movieperson/Summary.do?personId=2905
- Agency Website: http://www.flyup.co.kr/
Facts & Trivia About Ryu Soo-Young
- He was born into an upper middle class family. He started performing in theaters early in his life and also played basketball and football in school.
- Although he developed love towards acting quite early, he initially took it as a hobby. He knew in the back of his mind that his family wouldn’t allow him to take such a risky path. The acting bug bit him during high school, but he enrolled in the Myongji University to pursue business administration, as wished by his parents.
- During college, he started acting, and it eventually grew on him to the level that all he wanted to do in his life was act.
- He debuted in April 1998 as a student in a cooking program.
- He is known to resemble actor Jung Woo-Sung.
- Ryu Soo-Young has the nickname Positive King and often prays. He said, “If you pray, you will have faith, and if you have faith, you will pray more. Everything you say and hear has a lot of influence on your opponent and yourself. When I have a positive influence on my opponent, I see myself more than anyone else.”
- His specialties are hapkido from his student days, diving, and squash.
- Some of his known hobbies are clay art, skating, snowboarding, wakeboarding, and ball games.
- He served in the military from 2008 to 2010. This was also a pleasant break from his hectic acting schedule.
- His father is a university professor.
- He appeared in the “NRG – Lament” music video in 2001.
- He appeared in the 2001 film Summertime as a leading role. The film, which happened to be highly controversial due to its blatant portrayal of sex and sensuality, remained in the limelight weeks before its release. This also helped to get the actor some necessary exposure in the industry.
- He joined the army in his middle thirties. For his mandatory military service, the actor was a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency from 2008 to 2010.
- He joined as a regular cast of the show Real Men in 2013 but later left the show in February 2014 with some other original members. He was known as an ace and showed excellent cooking skills and got the qualification of military cooking expert.
- He baked a lot and received a baking certificate.
- He was cast in the musical Guys and Dolls (아가씨와 건달들) in 2014 as Sky.
- Ryu Soo-Young’s motto is “Be a person who does not lose warmth even in difficult times.”
About Ryu Soo-Young’s Wife & Wedding
After dating Park Ha-Sun for quite some time since late 2014, Ryu Soo-Young married her on January 22, 2017, in a very private ceremony at the Mayfield Hotel in Seoul, which was attended by very close friends and family members. On that beautiful Sunday, there were a few celebrities guests at their wedding including Cho Seung-Woo, Lee Kwang-Soo, Wang Bit-Na, Yoon Yoo-Sun, Jung Yoo-Mi, and Sam Hammington, who befriended Ryu Soo-Young while filming MBC’s Real Men together.
Due to Ryu’s shooting schedule for his upcoming TV drama, before the wedding, it was revealed that the couple had their honeymoon in Okinawa, Japan. On August 23, 2017, the couple became proud parents of a baby girl.
Facts About Actor Ryu Soo-Young & Actress Park Ha-Sun
Here are some detailed facts about this lovely couple:
- The pair appeared in a TV drama together in 2013, Two Weeks, and became romantically involved since November 2014. Though they broke up in the drama, they married in real life.
- The couple officially recognized the devoteeship in March 2015 and became a representative couple in the entertainment industry, having been exemplified as a quiet and stable relationship.
- Ryu Soo-Young talked about when he fell in love and when he decided he wanted to marry Park Ha-Sun on KBS’s Happy Together. He said, “I appeared in a drama with Park Ha-Sun. Back then, we were just two actors in the same industry. The moment I realized I was in love was when I passed by her house by chance. I asked her if she wanted to meet since I was in the area. On the way to the place we’d agreed to meet at, I found my heart racing. That’s when I realized that I liked her.”
- With his heart racing, Ryu Soo-Young waited for Park Ha-Sun to appear at the cafe. The moment she appeared, he could think nothing but, “She’s so pretty.” They parted ways that day with nothing happening, but Ryu Soo-Young actually called 10 days later and asked if she’d like to go hiking behind his house. Park Ha-Sun agreed, and that’s when Ryu Soo-Young began to believe that she might be interested in him as well.
- His proposal took place during a hike at Namsan together. In the middle of the hike, he got down on one knee and asked her to marry him. He added that Park Ha-Sun had tears in her eyes as she accepted.
- Park Ha-Sun shared that he is very good at cooking food and actively helps with the housework.
- Park Ha-Sun gave birth to a baby girl weighing 3.5 kg (approximately 7.72 pounds) in the evening of August 23, 2017, at a hospital in Seoul.
- There was a rumor saying that they were getting married because Park Ha-Sun was already pregnant. But, the couple denied the rumors.
- Ryu Soo-Young shared his thoughts about his wife’s kissing scene during the April 14th broadcast of tvN’s drama Drink Alone. According to the actor, he immediately got upset about the scene and even felt terrible after watching the scene where Park Ha-Sun was sitting on her co-actor’s shoulders.