Kim Nam-gil: Profile and Facts
Kim Nam-gil is a South Korean actor with many talents. Aside from acting, Kim Nam-gils is also active as a singer and movie director. He is also known to be able to portray a difficult role perfectly. His popularity skyrocketed after his role as Bidam on of the most successful Korean TV series “The Great Queen Seondeok”. This role turned him into an A-list actor in Korea.
|Birthday||March 13, 1981|
|Birthplace||Seoul, South Korea|
|Other names||Lee Han|
|Education||Myongji University – Theater and Film (dropped out)
Cyber Hankuk University of Foreign Studies – Chinese language
|Occupation||Actor, film producer, singer|
Kim Nam-Gil’s Facts:
- Kim Nam-gil’s various hobbies include playing the flute, tap dancing, water skiing, and Taekwondo.
- He first debuted on television with a minor role in the 1998 KBS popular drama “School 1”
- Five years later, Nam-Gil would win the 31st audition for MBC Television. He then performed in various minor roles for MBC.
- He later changed his name to Lee Han in 2005.
- A year later, he got his first leading role in the movie “No Regret”, playing the homosexual character Song Jae-min. He got a lot of praise for the role, although it was not able to bring him into popularity.
- Kim Nam-Gil stopped using his stage name Lee Han, and reverted back to his birth name. He made this decision after receiving advice from Kang Woo-Suk (the director of “Public Enemy Returns”).
- His most successful drama is the MBC drama “The Great Queen Seondeok” where he played Bi-dam. The character of Bi-dam was somewhat the secret weapon in securing the success of the television series. It made the production company proceed to give massive promotion to his character in Korean media outlets and press agencies.
- During this time, Nam-Gil researched his character by observing comic book characters like Han Bi Kwang from “Yeol Hyeol Kang Ho”, Musashi Miyamoto from “Vegabond” and Kang Baek Ho from “Slam Dunk.” He did the research because of the pressure from the massive promotion of Kim Nam-Gil, and he stress over his upcoming performance.
- His research did prove successful, as the drama series “The Great Queen Seondeok” became the most watched drama series of 2009, regularly receiving ratings in excess of 40%.
- The success of “The Great Queen Seondeok” also brought Kim Nam-Gil into popularity. He was frequently voted the sexiest man by Korean women, and received many commercial endorsement offers, and was flooded with scenarios for various upcoming films and drama series.
- Kim Nam-Gil has also stated that his ideal woman type is someone like Lee Yo-Won and the way that she she takes care of her baby.
- His other favorite actor is actress Kim Hye-Su, whom Kim Nam-Gil worked with in “Modern Boy.”
- He’s a film producer. He produced “Ensemble,” a documentary about classical musicians who get together to perform in the street after he was discharged from the army.
- He published the book “Way Back to the Road,” about two years of his life. He illustrated it with his own photographs.
- Kim Nam-gil is able to play the flute.
- Aside from acting, Kim Nam-gil also has talent in singing. It has been proven because he was a part of a theater production in his early career.
- Kim Nam-gil participated in two theater plays:
Year Title 2000 A Midsummer Night’s Dream 2003 Park Mu-geun’s Family
- He also contributed to the OST for “The Great Queen Seondeok”.
- In 2013, he even released a single in Japan entitled Roman. The video above is a live performance of Kim Nam-gil’s Roman.
- This is all the songs that Kim Nam-gil has released:
Can’t I Love You?
- Track from Queen Seondeok Special OST
- Released: January 8, 2010
- Label: Star J Entertainment, Danal
You Don’t Know
- Track from Yawang OST, 2013
- Released: January 14, 2013
- Label: J & J Entertainment, Aijin Music, LOEN Entertainment
- Released: July 10, 2013
- Label: Warner Music Japan